75Live

Weekend Thread | est. DS 43 | Trolls 35 | Arrival 24 | Alm.X-Mas 15.56 | Hacksaw 10.77 | Account. 4.57 |

I'm so happy about Arrival doing well.

Winning an Oscar is all about the RIGHT circumstances. If the race in the category is weak that year, if the movie is in contention to win BP, if some random or not sense of overdueness is build around one actor, if the movie is agressively backed and campaigned by Harvey Weinstein  and is actually SEEN by the academy or if the said actor buys campaign ads in magazines like Melissa Leo did when she won for The Fighter. Also, the said actor has to be a bit liked/respected/not intensely disliked/hated by the fellow members in the industry (see Sylvester Stallone last year).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The last time Veterans Day fell on a Friday was in 2011 (and 2005 before that), both times the new openers decreased on Saturday and the holdovers increased about 10% on average. Going to be a weird weekend to model. Expect Deadline to provide completely misinformed weekend projections tonight.

So, situation normal. :lol:

• Like 2

Somebody went full retard here in my city, there is no way to see Arrival in English before November 17th, and it's at the complete other end of the city :(

Nowadays it's usually pretty easy to get showings in English, I don't know what happened. 

Damn

• Like 1

Arrival is a boost for Paramount although they're only distributing it domestically so it's a low risk film for them, Sony is handling it in some OS markets with local distributors handling the rest. 

I do find it interesting that Paramount only opted for US distribution for Arrival but they did the same with Wolf of Wall Street and Silence. 

27 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Somebody went full retard here in my city, there is no way to see Arrival in English before November 17th, and it's at the complete other end of the city :(

Nowadays it's usually pretty easy to get showings in English, I don't know what happened. 

Damn

One of these Quebec's nationalists hating English?

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Medea had a $860k previews for a 28.5m w/e.  With the same ratio AC would do $16.8m. 

It should be lower because of the holiday boosting Thur effect but $15m looks possible

I think the preview would have been 375k without the boost. Madea blew up through the weekend with good WoM and was originally thought to be 23m. Going with the 23m and 375k we have 10m for the weekend.

Barber Shop2 was 735k/20.2m, again using 375k we get. 10.3

Ride along 1.26m/33m (after adjusting sunday).  9.82m

my derby is 9m:)

7 minutes ago, POTUS said:

I think the preview would have been 375k without the boost. Madea blew up through the weekend with good WoM and was originally thought to be 23m. Going with the 23m and 375k we have 10m for the weekend.

That sounds like  you're starting at your predictions and working the numbers backward to fit.  B) 

P.S. : Your avatar is giving me PTSD

• Like 11

Just now, TalismanRing said:

That sounds like  you're starting at your predictions and working the numbers backward to fit.  B) 

P.S. : Your avatar is giving me PTSD

no just being honest with the numbers.

also mt has sales close to even with HR and less than 1/2 of Arrival. again 10m

The violent protest sicken me. So much for "Love trumps hate". a lot of hate going on

Edited by POTUS

2 hours ago, POTUS said:

4yroysq0tp-2a37ILngRvtlJ5tsd1zzTCc_y5a8g