75Live

Weekend Thread | est. DS 43 | Trolls 35 | Arrival 24 | Alm.X-Mas 15.56 | Hacksaw 10.77 | Account. 4.57 |

Just got back from the Arrival... oh man!

You just have to see this one for yourself. It's easily the best movie I've seen in cinemas this year. It really hits all the notes perfectly. Amy Adams is terrific and she absolutely deserves an Oscar for this. I have such an appreciation for this because the first thing I though after the movie ended was in how many ways it could've gone wrong. As you may find when you watch the movie, Arrival is so heavily dependent on editing that any small mistake in that department would've fucked the whole movie. That goes to show what an amazingly talented director Villeneuve is. I am so happy right now that he is in charge of Blade Runner.

It is really beautiful how everything comes together and every single aspect of this movie contributes to that perfect atmosphere and amazing finale: the soundtrack is not memorable, but it is fitting, the cinematography is breathtaking (that shot with the spaceship you see in the trailers.... holy fuck!), the color palette is also a huge factor.

Anyway, I am so glad that the Fall SF tradition continues. I would rate this above Gravity, but behind Interstellar and The Martian. But that means little since I had the last two in my Top 3 of their respective years. Gravity was a so-so for me. Arrival is much closer to Interstellar and The Martian in terms of quality. It is just as heavy as Interstellar, but maybe not as thoughtful. However, I don't really see any way in which it could've been better and that's saying a lot. For the type of film that it is, it's just perfect. 

A

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

So happy to see the midnight numbers for Arrival. Paramount should have released it in 3000+ theatres. Would have done 35-40 M ow. They fucked up. 

Let's hope WOM will carry it to 120+ DOM and 300+ OS

I don't this it's going to come anywhere close to 300m OS. My theater was only 50% full on an evening showing. But I do think it will have great legs everywhere. Right now I am hoping for around 250-300m WW.

2ND Update, midday: With a bulk of kids off from Kindergarten to college today, I hear Friday will be quite front-loaded at the box office. As such Doctor Strange and Trolls aren’t that far apart for the day with the Marvel Disney movie at $12.5M and the DreamWorks Animation hairy guys at $12M. Some believe that the weekend is too close to call for No. 1 at this point, but others see Doctor Strange at $35M at 3,882 theaters and Trolls holding fantastically at $32M in 4,066, -31% from its opening. By Sunday this means that Doctor Strange will be at $145M, in sync with the 10-day take of 2013’s Thor: The Dark World (final domestic $206.4M) with Trolls just under $90M, 9% ahead of Fox’s The Peanuts Movie.

Paramount looks to hit tracking projection with $15M on Arrival, maybe higher at $16.5M at 2,317 locations. This OK I’m told in regards to the $20M the Melrose Lot shelled out, and the $40M P&A which rivals estimate they spent on the title. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 94% Certified Fresh, which could bode well for its legs this holiday season.

Universal’s Almost Christmas in 2,376 is currently banking on $5.5M for today (including its $500K Thursday previews) for a FSS of $14M. EuropaCorp’s Shut In may not make it to $1M today. If it does, it will make $3M, but right now it’s looking like $2.2M. Who knew this movie was even coming out? The first digital ads on IMDB just popped up today.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

I don't understand why the great WOM doesn't translate into box office money for Hacksaw Ridge. 

I used to like the guy but Andrew Garfield is box office poison.

You can't convince the average person to watch him mope for 2 hours.

Updates:

Today, Arrival is looking at $6.5M today, which includes its $1.45M Thursday.

Lionsgate/Summit’s Hacksaw Ridge per industry forecasts is holding up with $7.5M-$8M, down about 50% from its opening a week ago. 10-day by Sunday might lie just under $30M.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Jesus, that's terrible for Hacksaw. It should have had an excellent hold.

Don't think that is a projection for Hacksaw, they used "Industry Forecasts" as opposed to "current projections". So I am guessing they don't have the current data for Hacksaw for whatever reason.