75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

So why did Ex Machina and Interstellar win? So much salt in this post :lol: 

They were the closest they could get without a contender in the category.   :lol:

Seriously the tech noms and awards for Oscar have mostly always been bullshit.   They aren't based on the actual skill exhibited but on if they love the whole movie  - because we all know the script makes the sound editing better. :P

20 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Billy - $1-1.5m OMG!!!!   It's The Walk all over again 

For my Derby I hope it hits $1m because then everyone will get a 0.

The Walk had better reviews, and wasn't being pushed as a major Oscar contender, other then in the technical categories though.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

The Walk had much better reviews, and wasn't being pushed as a major Oscar contender, other then in the technical categories though.

Sony isn't pushing Billy Lynn any more either - they took it off their Award Consideration page but have Angry Birds .....

When they saw it wasn't going to get great reviews an awards contender needs they should have pushed the emotional War and NFL angle instead or going on and on about the frame rate -- the general audience doesn't care about that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They were the closest they could get without a contender in the category.   :lol:

Seriously the tech noms and awards for Oscar have mostly always been bullshit.   They aren't based on the actual skill exhibited but on if they love the whole movie  - because we all know the script makes the sound editing better. :P

You know the VFX nominees are the result of a long bake-off voted on by a bunch of VFX guys, right?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Sony isn't pushing Billy Lynn any more either - they took it off their Award Consideration page but have Angry Birds .....

When they saw it wasn't going to get great reviews an awards contender needs they should have pushed the emotional War and NFL angle instead or going on and on about the frame rate -- the general audience doesn't care about that.

Angry Birds doesn't have a realistic shot, but the best animated feature ghetto is easier to get a mixed reviews nomination in than the Best Picture Category. No point in wasting money on Billy Lynn. 

1 minute ago, kswiston said:

Angry Birds doesn't have a realistic shot, but the best animated feature ghetto is easier to get a mixed reviews nomination in than the Best Picture Category. No point in wasting money on Billy Lynn. 

Not this year.  There are at least 10 quality animated films.  It's a Like Best Actress it's a surprisingly competitive year

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

You know the VFX nominees are the result of a long bake-off voted on by a bunch of VFX guys, right?

Which is why the nominations as a group are better (though not as diverse or good as the could be)  than the eventual winner.  Like Animation. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I doubt the film would have done well, no matter what they would have tried to sell it as.

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not this year.  There are at least 10 quality animated films.  It's a Like Best Actress it's a surprisingly competitive year

Oh, I agree, but I can see how Sony would push Angry Birds over Billy Lynn.

That said, I am not entirely convinced that even Finding Dory is a nomination lock. With Zootopia a lock for the ballot, and presumably Moana as well, voters may choose to forgo a third Disney film and spread the love to some of the lower budget stuff. Japanese films not made by Studio Ghibli typically get passed over, but Your Name might have made enough buzz with its (eventual) $200M+ Japanese run to get some recognition stateside. 

Edited by kswiston

1 minute ago, kswiston said:

Oh, I agree, but I can see how Sony would push Angry Birds over Billy Lynn.

That said, I am not entirely convinced that even Finding Dory is a nomination lock. With Zootopia a lock for the ballot, and presumably Moana as well, voters may choose to forgo a third Disney film and spread the love to some of the lower budget stuff. Japanese films not made by Studio Ghibli typically get passed over, but Your Name might have made enough buzz with its (eventual) $200M+ Japanese run to get some recognition stateside. 

Kubo and the Two Strings has to be a lock.