75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

Guys, if I go with my family to a mall, I might get to choose between Moonlight and Arrival as a solo outing. On one hand, Moonlight isn't in that many theaters. On the other hand, Arrival might shed some theaters in the future, and I might lose an opportunity to see it. There is an art theater kind of close to me that says they're going to show Moonlight eventually, but you can never be certain. Which one do you recommend?

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

If I was working for WB, I would have projected a 180 domestic and perhaps 500 international gross.

Warner Brothers......I'm willing to work for $100,000 a year. :)

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Guys, if I go with my family to a mall, I might get to choose between Moonlight and Arrival as a solo outing. On one hand, Moonlight isn't in that many theaters. On the other hand, Arrival might shed some theaters in the future, and I might lose an opportunity to see it. There is an art theater kind of close to me that says they're going to show Moonlight eventually, but you can never be certain. Which one do you recommend?

While I personally preferred Arrival, if your intention is to see both at some point, you should see Moonlight first as there's no guarantee it'll get much wider than it is currently. I'm sure you will have a 2-3 week window to see Arrival and that doesn't include any Oscar expansion

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Based off the trailers, Moonlight looks more emotional, while Arrival looks more cerebral. Depends on your preferences, but Moonlight appealed to me more

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

We have no idea what their internal projections were. I sure don't think they're disappointed with SS -- that basically over-performed everyone's expectations, so much so that it effectively countered any underperformance by BVS.

They've made over $1.6bn combined from DC films this year so they can't be too disappointed and I expect Wonder Woman and JL will do very well next year. 

FB is an continuation of their relationship with JK Rowling, as long as it does solid numbers then they'll complete the Fantastic Beasts franchise, i imagine WB wants to adapt Cursed Child but that'll be a while before they even attempt it.

Edited by Jonwo

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

They've made over $1.6bn combined from DC films this year so they can't be too disappointed and I expect Wonder Woman and JL will do very well next year. 

For some reason I feel like Justice League is gonna do Bvs numbers 

Has the DCEU alreay peaked or is there room to grow ?

Given at how crowded the superhero schedule will be in the coming years, I doubt the DCEU will be able to reach Avengers' level of success, maybe with the Batfleck solo film.

A billion $ DCEU movie is possible  but a 1,5B one very very unlikely IMO.

Edited by The Futurist

Just now, The Futurist said:

Given at how crowded the superhero schedule will be in the coming years, I doubt there will be able to reach Avengers' level of success, maybe with the Batfleck solo film.

I FIRMLY believe The Avengers is peak superhero box office 

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Given at how crowded the superhero schedule will be in the coming years, I doubt there will be able to reach Avengers' level of success, maybe with the Batfleck solo film.

I don't expect a comic book film to hit 1.5 billion for some time.

Maybe the Avengers film after this next one.

8 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

If I was working for WB, I would have projected a 180 domestic and perhaps 500 international gross.

Warner Brothers......I'm willing to work for $100,000 a year. :)

I projected 180 m and I have the Winter Game answer to prove it. :P

Plus I work for only $95,000 per year. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Given at how crowded the superhero schedule will be in the coming years, I doubt the DCEU will be able to reach Avengers' level of success, maybe with the Batfleck solo film.

DCEU films need to broaden their appeal to causal audiences, cuz their movies drop like rocks.

24 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I liked Arrival a lot better. Much more satisfying payoff. Moonlight falls apart in the third act for me, brought the movie down significantly. 

• Like 2