75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

15 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

does anyone know if this is good?  I don't follow international as much.  I believe it opened in the UK yesterday correct?

I think it is too esrly. In UK it does very good, in other countries better than DS, but not as good as the HP films. It isn't released everywhere yet and so on

But IMHO? I never expeted HP numbers, see missing books and known characters. And it's too early ....

If interested, here the direct link the the film's international thread:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

This big drop for Arrival is because it had an inflated OW, right? Because it was holding so well during the week that an over 50% drop makes no sense at all. 

Its drop seems to be the least ugly of the top 5, so yes.

6 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Why not?

MJ2 had a 2.75x and FB is much better.

Plus, while FB is viewed as an HP movie, its only vaguely connected and has very different tone. It MIGHT be front-loaded if the opening weekend is dominated by HP fans but I personally think it'll pull in less hard-core HP fans and have decent legs.

10 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Why not?

MJ2 had a 2.75x and FB is much better.

Lol it has nothing to do with quality. Its a Potter film.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

This big drop for Arrival is because it had an inflated OW, right? Because it was holding so well during the week that an over 50% drop makes no sense at all. 

It's also further proof that Americans are a lot dumber than we thought. 

giphy.gif

• Like 6

If we actually calculate Arrival's real Friday which was a holiday to this working Friday: 7.85m to 3.41m (-56% drop) compared to Strange (-68%), Trolls (-68%) and AC (-65%) real Fridays.

So there's a silver lining!

Edited by MinaTakla

37 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

The “Harry Potter” spinoff from Warner Bros. earned $29.7 million on Friday at 4,144 locations, and is expected to earn a hefty $76 million by the end of the weekend.

- Variety

I have watched only the first and DH1 in the HP series. Can this be called a HP spinoff? It has a couple of references to HP locales. But beyond that, the time line is way different. May be a HP aficionado can educate me. 

Fantastic Beasts did as well as it did thanks to Potter, and even then it still underperformed. Without the Potter connection it would have straight up bombed. A lot of the people who went because of Potter won't be back for the next installment. Without the Potter connection it might as well have been this: 

beautiful_creatures.jpg

• Like 1