75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Yeah it's been a massive success. Once Iger found out they were opening at Universal I believe he moved on the plan to build SW Land at Disneyland.

But a SW theme park seems like a no brainer.

I can't think of a more massive and loyal fanbase.

On 11/18/2016 at 0:18 PM, EmpireCity said:

Or you guys could actually do your job correctly for once in a big weekend thread, but that might be asking too much.  

thafcat.gif

Im enjoying reading through this thread!

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

But a SW theme park seems like a no brainer.

I can't think of a more massive and loyal fanbase.

It does but the layout of Disneyland is about to get a bit confusing (You now have Tomorrowland/Star Tours/Space Mountain & SW Land at opposite ends of the park). There seems to be a bit of a rush to get this done before episode 8.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

It does but the layout of Disneyland is about to get a bit confusing (You now have Tomorrowland/Star Tours/Space Mountain & SW Land at opposite ends of the park). There seems to be a bit of a rush to get this done before episode 8.

I think there might be some reasoning behind this.

Maybe they want to spread out the crowds as much as possible instead of having all the best stuff on only one end.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, James said:

But then what's the explanation? 

If the ones buying it are not kids, then it means the franchise is expanding among older people? Why? I mean, it makes little sense, unless HP entered that sacred ground where it is considered a classic. I have no doubt it will achieve that someday, but it seems to soon to me. 

Yeah, if it's not children that's surprising to me. Most of my friends bought their own copies of Harry Potter when they were kids, and still have them. I'm sure there are adults who still haven't read them, but it's hard to imagine them being the main market for new books.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, James said:

If the ones buying it are not kids, then it means the franchise is expanding among older people? Why? I mean, it makes little sense, unless HP entered that sacred ground where it is considered a classic. I have no doubt it will achieve that someday, but it seems to soon to me. 

I think some buy them to own them (had read them in the past as lent books), to give presents in the hope to get others 'infected' (meant nicely), buy hard-cover, buy paperback as a 'mobile' version,...

Maybe special illustrated versions and so on.

Harry Potter here is also used in the subject 'English' = the whole class bought part... whichever.

Some will have seen then the movies only and get curious about the books,...

There are many possibilities, I do not know what in NY the people do or their whys, but I know who lent what in the library here.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

This. I digged deep into the numbers and drops to really assess if that hold should be worrisome or not. I also looked at 2011 which had the Veterans Day on a Fri.

The drops in general were as brutal as this week. 

I think ARRIVAL is doing fine esp that its PTA and Fri-to-Fri drop were fine. 

Hope everyting improves next week.

Arrival PTA is OK but that's because it didn't expand in more theaters. If it'd had than PTA would have gone down and it likely still wouldn't have had a better drop. Critics overpraised it and the audience isn't buying it. I also lacks the star power of Leo and Nolan to make it a mind-bender everyone is talking about so you have to see it to participate in watercooler conversations. I liked it much more than Interstellar but wouldn't see it again nor I feel like talking about it. It may be just me or it may be a general feel. 

So, to resume from the international thread:

South Korea looks to easily top all Potters in USD.

Russia looks to have possibly the second biggest grosser in the franchise behind DH2 in USD.

Mexico is in the same position as Russia. 

In doesn't show signs of being frontloaded in any of those markets (so not playing like a Potter film), which is incredibly surprising especially in Russia's case. Additional evidence, but WOM on Twitter is even better than yesterday and yesterday was already great.

And also there's the great UK opening. Unfortunately there, unlike the other territories, the ER is so bad it will fall from all Potters in USD.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, James said:

As our generation grows up and have kids they(we) are buying new books to try to get our kids into it.

And yes, it's slowly but surely becoming a classic.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

As our generation grows up and have kids they(we) are buying new books to try to get our kids into it.

And yes, it's slowly but surely becoming a classic.

It's already a classic. It's definitely not a literary masterpiece but I mean the impact it's had on reading in the Internet age (not even just for children) probably even exceeds books like the Bible.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, James said:

So, to resume from the international thread:

South Korea looks to easily top all Potters in USD.

Russia looks to have possibly the second biggest grosser in the franchise behind DH2 in USD.

Mexico is in the same position as Russia. 

In doesn't show signs of being frontloaded in any of those markets (so not playing like a Potter film), which is incredibly surprising especially in Russia's case. Additional evidence, but WOM on Twitter is even better than yesterday and yesterday was already great.

And also there's the great UK opening. Unfortunately there, unlike the other territories, the ER is so bad it will fall from all Potters in USD.

So FB will play better internationally than domestically...just like HP? :)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kswiston said:

WB also benefitted from strong foreign exchange rates to get their $1B films. Would they have anything besides Deathly Hallows 2 if today's shitty rates were present in 2008-2012?

If you adjust by exchange rates only, then yes, only DH2 would still have made $1B. If you adjust both domestic and foreign grosses by ticket price inflation as well, then the only film that drops out of the $1B club from that time period is The Hobbit.

See table below. Exchange rates current as of November 18, adjusted figures are in bold:

Title Year WW WW ER WW TP Dom Adj D OS OS ER OS TP
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 2011 $1,341.5 $1,075 $1,171 $381.0 $413 $960.5 $694 $758
The Dark Knight Rises 2012 $1,084.9 $954 $1,042 $448.1 $496 $636.8 $505 $546
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 2012 $1,021.1 $848 $908 $303.0 $326 $718.1 $545 $582
The Dark Knight 2008^ $1,004.6 $899 $1,105 $534.9 $641 $469.7 $364 $464

If you're interested, a more complete post on exchange rate/ticket price adjustment is here. List of ticket prices being used for adjustment is here.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

This isn't opening anywhere close to Episode 8. It'll be after Episode 9 most likely. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James said:

My point was that there's a really good reason why legs in the US should be better than's your average Potter flick.

I think you are going to be correct and anecdotally the sales look strong today.  If the number comes in good, anyone calling this a failure or soft doesn't really know what they are talking about.  

• Like 7

Just now, wildphantom said:

This isn't opening anywhere close to Episode 8. It'll be after Episode 9 most likely. 

You maybe right but a lot of the attractions closed during the construction are still scheduled to come back by end of next summer so we'll see. Very possible we see some sort of soft opening but who knows?