CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Regardless of who lost money on Blade Runner 2049 somebody lost quite a bit, and that is not going to make it easy FOR Villeneuve to get Dune Funded. I can see this going the way that Del Toro's "At The Mountians Of Madness" went.

I would like to see this happen:Finally get a good movie based on the Frank Herbert novel.but it ain't gonna be cheap and VIllenueva is not exactly in a strong position when it comes to finiancing on the scale Dune would take to do right. You are talking LOTR scale here, folks.if you have not read the novel...and you really should. It deserves it reputation as one of the all time great Science Fiction novels. (Though the less said about the novels the Frank Herbert did not write the better).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rebecca-ferguson-talks-star-denis-villeneuves-dune-1140223?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR Breaking News_2018-09-05 17:00:00_lhuff&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Buried in the article: Villeneuve contributed to the script with Eric Roth. He rarely writes the films that he directs. Also Jon Spaihts (Passengers, Prometheus, Doctor Strange) is working on the script too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheManFromBeyond said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rebecca-ferguson-talks-star-denis-villeneuves-dune-1140223?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR Breaking News_2018-09-05 17:00:00_lhuff&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Buried in the article: Villeneuve contributed to the script with Eric Roth. He rarely writes the films that he directs. Also Jon Spaihts (Passengers, Prometheus, Doctor Strange) is working on the script too.

He said in an interview awhile back that he’s going to go back to writing and being involved from the beginning because he loves that part. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Doesn't this need at least one big name star, not that it helped BR2049 much

They're probably betting on this being Chalamet's big star test. Otherwise Villeneuve is likely being given free reign to make the movie that he wants to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They're probably betting on this being Chalamet's big star test. Otherwise Villeneuve is likely being given free reign to make the movie that he wants to make.

Not fully sure if serious here.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

not that it helped BR2049 much

Ford is obviously a giant star and forever A-list, but at this point of is career, even in a role reprisal if it is not Solo/Jones I am not sure how much he is to be counted has big name star.

After the last Indiana Jones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_Over_(film) (4.6m WW)

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Extraordinary-Measures#tab=summary (15.8m WW)

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Morning-Glory#tab=cast-and-crew (60m WW on a 40m budget)

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Paranoia#tab=summary (16m WW on a 40m budget)

14 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Doesn't this need at least one big name star

The director name / franchise-awareness could help make this pre-sales a bit or get a go without a big name star I guess, Valerian achieved to do so with impressive pre-sales numbers.

Valerian high concept and bigger director probably helped but still an recent example. But even James Cameron had to fight for is lead choice in Avatar for example, studio being uneasy with just having Weaver in a non-lead role has a name actor in it according to him in a interview.

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not fully sure if serious here.

Ford is obviously a giant star and forever A-list, but at this point of is career, even in a role reprisal if it is not Solo/Jones I am not sure how much he is to be counted has big name star.

After the last Indiana Jones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_Over_(film) (4.6m WW)

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Extraordinary-Measures#tab=summary (15.8m WW)

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Morning-Glory#tab=cast-and-crew (60m WW on a 40m budget)

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Paranoia#tab=summary (16m WW on a 40m budget)

The director name / franchise-awareness could help make this pre-sales a bit or get a go without a big name star I guess, Valerian achieved to do so with impressive pre-sales numbers.

Valerian high concept and bigger director probably helped but still an recent example. But even James Cameron had to fight for is lead choice in Avatar for example, studio being uneasy with just having Weaver in a non-lead role has a name actor in it according to him in a interview.

Well, Chalamet is the closest to a very quickly rising young actor to play Paul Atreides right now what with an Oscar nomination and a slew of good projects under his belt before he's even turned 25. And Blade Runner 2049 was sold just as much (if not more) on Ryan Gosling (who was hot off of La La Land) as it was Ford returning to one of his more iconic characters and still failed to light the world on fire. There's little reason to doubt that Villeneuve will make a quality movie, but starpower is proving to be an increasingly irrelevant factor to a film's financial success or failure and won't make up for audience disinterest (which might very well be the case here). The fact that studios are willing to give him such big budgets based on the strength of his output and not on the financial returns (especially when BR2049 was a big loss) is quite impressive.

28 minutes ago, TheManFromBeyond said:

Interesting! I haven't seen that interview before.

Wonder if he'll also work in writing for Cleopatra.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/montrealgazette.com/entertainment/local-arts/show-biz-chez-nous-villeneuves-blade-runner-doesnt-merit-oscar-love/amp

“I have decided that, from now on, I am going to participate directly in the writing of the screenplay rather than turning up later on in the process,” Villeneuve said. “I am a bit tired of this process. I want to return to my old love of writing. I am working with a brilliant screenwriter right now, Eric Roth, and to return to writing allows you have to more control. It’s very difficult to transform the DNA of a film while you’re making it.”

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, Chalamet is the closest to a very quickly rising young actor to play Paul Atreides right now what with an Oscar nomination and a slew of good projects under his belt before he's even turned 25. And Blade Runner 2049 was sold just as much (if not more) on Ryan Gosling (who was hot off of La La Land) as it was Ford returning to one of his more iconic characters and still failed to light the world on fire. There's little reason to doubt that Villeneuve will make a quality movie, but starpower is proving to be an increasingly irrelevant factor to a film's financial success or failure and won't make up for audience disinterest (which might very well be the case here). The fact that studios are willing to give him such big budgets based on the strength of his output and not on the financial returns (especially when BR2049 was a big loss) is quite impressive.

Chalamet is still a vastly unknown to the general audience I would say, I am not sure obviously but if we would go to a mall and ask the first 100 people we meet about Chalamet, I doubt that many would even know who he is, let alone being a fan. I doubt it will be sold as a Chalamet vehicule and be perceived has a test on is star power.

Villeneuve financial track record is really good too, it is not purely on the expert opinion of the few that he got those big budget gig with that level of freedom.

Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival were all financial success.

Has for starpower proving to be an increasingly irrelevant factor outside comedy, I am not sure specially when we are talking assemble affair (strong assemble a la Murder on the Orient express, Ocean 8, Jumanji, Kong Skull Island, Baby Driver, The Post, Hitman Bodyguard, Mag 7, etc...), strong assemble are still showing some sign imo, it is the lone star sold on is only name that do not work much outside DiCaprio/Johnson/Denzel so you could be right for the one big name effect. That was already mostly true in the 90s with the exception of around 18 names, must be even truer and rarer now for a title like this.

Edited by Barnack

Rebecca Fergurson is a terrific choice for Lady Jessica. I thought they would've gone perhaps for someone slightly older, although by the time the movie is released she'll be nearly the same age as Francesca Annis was in Dune. And Chalamet does look younger that Kyle Maclachlan

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Has for starpower proving to be an increasingly irrelevant factor outside comedy, I am not sure specially when we are talking assemble affair, strong assemble are still showing some sign imo, you could be right for the one big name effect too, that was already mostly true in the 90s with the exception of around 18 names, must be even truer and rarer now for a title like this.

The movie will have a huge cast. I'm sure some of the roles will be filled by more well known actors

You know, I've had a thought.

Can a film be seen as a long-term investment?

All of Villeneuve's films will be remembered to the point where cinephiles will collect all of his features in any format they can, TV channels will heavily consider playing his films, professors will teach his films in the universities, etc.

Surely, the first Blade Runner has gone on to make bankable cash long after its theatrical release, and I'm sure Blade Runner 2049 will to.

Do you think investors are looking past immediate gratification? I sure hope so, because Villeneuve's films are the type that are sure to stand the test of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slambros said:

You know, I've had a thought.

On that thought a Chinesse production company, a bit a la Netflix could think about prestige and establishing street cred with the industry to build relationship with talents.

It is a private company that didn't gave a clue to the public about is profit in like the last 5 year's, not necessarily run with immediate performance like a public company.

Has for library building with a very high budget movie, I doubt it, the first 3 year's for those must contains a giant part of the movie life revenues, Shawshank/It's A wonderful life type of stories being quite rate and such an random uncontrollable event.

• Like 1