CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

if Villeneuve drops his sterile style and warms the movie up by letting actors show emotion and casting warm types, people will warm up to it. It's no rocket science. Go full Peter Jackson and milk big moments. When characters grieve let the tears flow. When characters joke with each other let the laughs flow. Heck, let Gurney's songs flow. Just warm it up and it'll do fine. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

So happy that Hollywood is willing to lose money to fund great movies.

I think it is Chinawood (wanda group via legendary) for this one, do we have a name for this new trend.

A bit like for Blader Runner 2049 I do not expect studio's to get involved with this, could happen but would not be surprised if they do not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think it is Chinawood (wanda group via legendary) for this one, do we have a name for this new trend.

A bit like for Blader Runner 2049 I do not expect studio's to get involved with this, could happen but would not be surprised if they do not.

Another reason to welcome our new Chinese overlords. :redcapes:

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

if Villeneuve drops his sterile style and warms the movie up by letting actors show emotion and casting warm types, people will warm up to it. It's no rocket science

Like he did on Arrival, Prisoners, Sicario, Incendies ?

Or go more juvenile/cheesy ?

Blade Runner was just a specially cold and dry world.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Another reason to welcome our new Chinese overlords. :redcapes:

Yeah I think we could see some risky high budget happen, just wanting to get street creds among the industry, like Netflix is doing with Scorsese.

Profit being obviously nice but not the only objective in mind.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Like he did on Arrival, Prisoners, Sicario, Incendies ?

Or go more juvenile/cheesy ?

Blade Runner was just a specially cold and dry world.

So are worlds of Dune in a way and especially very stilted dialog. I hope he loosens up in that regard. keep few quotable lines, don't keep them all, cause nobody talks like that. Lynch Dune suffers from it a lot. It also didn't know what to cut. Sy Fy adaptations (Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune) had bottom of the barrell actors from Czech republic or something and shockingly James McAvoy who was amazing. And not just because absolutely everyone else sucked like it's Sharknado. It was his breakthrough. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

so they find the most perfect Paul they could possibly find and people who didn't read the book are taking shit on him. great. :rant:

also the guy who gave maybe the best lead performance of 2017 in any movie. "oh no I can't imagine this actor acting in this acting role"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

so they find the most perfect Paul they could possibly find and people who didn't read the book are taking shit on him. great. :rant:

read the book and gtfooooo

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

also the guy who gave maybe the best lead performance of 2017 in any movie. "oh no I can't imagine this actor acting in this acting role"

saw the movie and gtfoooooooooooo

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

read the book and gtfooooo

saw the movie and gtfoooooooooooo

Ok so who would you cast? Like, I would have been thrilled if they'd cast an actual 15 years old for the role but that wasn't going to happen so this one at least fits the physical description. 

Now who gets to play Lady Jessica? Jessica? Amy? Nicole? Charlize? Cate? It's gonna be some usual suspect. 

Edited by Valonqar

Arrival struck me as having a kind of mechanical type of warmth. "Let's see if I put on the entirety of On The Nature Of Daylight here maybe that'll cause the emotions to happen". Don't recall any real warmth in Prisoners or Sicario other than the bar scene in the latter. Honestly BR49 probably has the most thanks to the characters of Joi and Ana but I've also been growing impatient with Villeneuve's whole slow portentous thing. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

Ok so who would you cast? Like, I would have been thrilled if they'd cast an actual 15 years old for the role but that wasn't going to happen so this one at least fits the description. 

someone who does the good acting.

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Arrival struck me as having a kind of mechanical type of warmth. "Let's see if I put on the entirety of On The Nature Of Daylight here maybe that'll cause the emotions to happen". Don't recall any real warmth in Prisoners or Sicario other than the bar scene in the latter. Honestly BR49 probably has the most thanks to the characters of Joi and Ana but I've also been growing impatient with Villeneuve's whole slow portentous thing. 

:bravo:

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

But he certainly knew to cast warm people (going for the extreme that is Jackman)

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

i personally think Sicario is a lot warmer than prisoners. after all one is set in El Paso and Mexico and the other is set in snowy Pennsylvania.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

But he certainly knew to cast warm people (going for the extreme that is Jackman)

That's true but something about his directing style just sucks the warmth out. Like, I don't care for his other movies, but since he's given Dune, I want Dune to be a success and I suspect he'll make it like BR2049. Bombs away. :whosad:

Timothee Chalamet's casting is an exciting one because it'll be his first big-budget Hollywood project. He's got really good acting range (that I've seen from Lady Bird and the trailers/snippets from his other movies), and he's already making girls swoon for him, as they would for Justin Beiber or Harry Styles, so he's got the makings of a real star. Here's hoping this doesn't turn out like Emile Hirsch's transition from Into The Wild to Speed Racer, because I believe we've only seen the tip of the iceberg from the guy.