FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

10 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Only a very few titles have the actuals reported it seem        
The-Numbers changes the estimates' font in green colour to actuals with a black colour font. Sadly I loose the green colour in their charts whilst transferring it into BOT

Actuals Wednesday November 23rd, 2016           
The Edge of Seventeen STX Entertainment $726,627 -4% 1,945 $374   $6,783,770

Bleed for This Open Road $212,219 -24% 1,549 $137   $3,109,829

Manchester-by-the Sea Roadside Attractions $41,532 38% 4 $10,383   $360,042
Priceless Roadside Attractions $163 -23% 4 $41   $1,495,766

Actuals Thursday November 24th, 2016          
Bleed for This Open Road $193,875 -9% 1,549 $125   $3,303,704

Manchester-by-the Sea Roadside Attractions $41,597 n/c 4 $10,399   $401,639
Priceless Roadside Attractions $280 72% 4 $70   $1,496,046

Thanks. Manchester is slaying. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisman0606 said:

@terrestrial So Smaller studios do actuals for Wed and Thurs and not Major studios?

Sadly only a few. Some of the others seem not to report during the week at all or very late. Even at the weekend actuals I've seen repeatedly the charts getting adjusted 1/2 day later for some stragglers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Sadly only a few. Some of the others seem not to report during the week at all or very late. Even at the weekend actuals I've seen repeatedly the charts getting adjusted 1/2 day later for some stragglers.

What I meant was that during the five day thanksgiving weekend, that these smaller studios do actuals for Wed and Thurs during the holiday and not major studios, I am aware of what you said but just wanted to point it out.

Edited by chrisman0606
  • Like 2

It'll be awhile before i can see manchester but i very much look forward to it. great to finally see a kenny lonergan film get this kind of awards buzz. was due to happen sooner or later dude is one of the genius writers of our time. film historians are gonna look back on you can count on me and margaret and say "wtf how were people back then sleeping on this?"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

It'll be awhile before i can see manchester but i very much look forward to it. great to finally see a kenny lonergan film get this kind of awards buzz. was due to happen sooner or later dude is one of the genius writers of our time. film historians are gonna look back on you can count on me and margaret and say "wtf how were people back then sleeping on this?"

The writer of The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle will get his due.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

The writer of The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle will get his due.

i would say he at least deserves more respect than the overrated writer of Jurassic Park III. that dude's last four movies have felt like pilots for showtime dramadies that no one really cares about but somehow last 8 seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i would say he at least deserves more respect than the overrated writer of Jurassic Park III. that dude's last four movies have felt like pilots for showtime dramadies that no one really cares about but somehow last 8 seasons.

Although you'd have to admit they both have a lot more respect than the writer of Stuart Little.

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

True but You Cant Count On Me wasn't exactly slept on. It got massive critical acclaim when released and earned Laura Linney an Oscar nom. 

Edited by La Binoche

Even if you take into account that Fantastic Beasts is part of the Harry Potter universe, the data from the opening weekend alone suggests that a sub-2.5x multiplier is too low.

The following graph shows the multiplier vs. the OW/OD ratio (internal multiplier, I think it's called?) for the Friday-release Harry Potter films only and for a broader set of winter releases*.

AM4g7Be.png

The broader set of winter releases has a pretty weak correlation (although still statistically significant), which is unsurprising given that it shows most $50M OW releases from September to April, including those being released on holiday weekends. Without doing any detailed statistical analysis, or further breaking down the winter release subset into groups, my guess is that Harry Potter films don't significantly differ from most other films in their relationship between the OW/OD ratio - in other words, their low multipliers can be predicted from the OW/OD ratio alone. This can be observed visually by the large number of other films clustering around the Harry Potter films.

Nevertheless, the narrow subset of Harry Potter films (two of which are summer releases) does have the advantage of showing a pretty strong correlation between their multiplier and OW/OD ratio (which is probably because it filters for other factors not related to Harry Potter). Using that relationship, we can predict Fantastic Beasts (OW/OD=2.5) to have a final multiplier of 2.8. Anything lower than 2.5 would be well outside of the typical relationship for Harry Potter films.

*Note: I borrowed the winter release dataset from another sheet I already had for something else, it's filtered for at least $50M opening weekends and a number of criteria of no relevance to this particular graph. Also, I don't know that summer releases have a different relationship, this was just for my convenience.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, DAR said:

At some pont I'll watch Manchester but given it's subject matter it's not exactly something I'll be pumped up to see.

As weird as it may sound, having watched the trailer now it looks incredibly good to me. Will catch it if it opens here. If now, when it goes on Bluray. 

• Like 1