FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

4 hours ago, La Binoche said:

It won't. People actually saw Clueless and Meangirls. 17 is like the tree that fell in the woods but no one was there to hear it. It will eventually find a following but not on the level of Clueless and Mean Girls. 

In today's technology-based world it's hard for any movie to really become a cult classic really. 

13 hours ago, Wrath said:

I'm a little bummed out for Moana because I liked that movie a lot, but seeing FB kick so much ass kinda makes up for it.

I know its crazy talk, but I think the FB-series is going to end up being at least as significant as the HP series if not more so. Weightier and more adult in theme, so they probably won't do as well overall at the BO, but at least as impactful on popular culture.

Yes this is crazy talk lol. 

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Also seems like only an ok start for Miss Sloane. Not that I expect it to do well either way since who the heck wants to see a movie about politics right now?

It's a total non-event. 22K PTA from just 3 theaters is terrible. At least some circles (not here) that insist that Chastain has better chance at a nomination than Adams for Arrival can move on now and find something else to stan for. Adams is happening. Miss Sloane is dead in the water for everyone involved. 

@Fancyarcher Perks of Being a Wallflower kind of is (a cult classic). proves your point that it's tough to become one at this day and age.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Billy Lynn is like a faint echo of Heaven's Gate in some ways. A director's ambitious follow-up to his multiple Oscars-winning film with a strange but interesting cast is killed by critical reception to such an extent that it barely spends any time in theaters and recoups about 5% of its production budget DOM. Thankfully said budget is $40m instead of $400m, and there's China, and I'm sure the industry will still like Ang Lee.

Also Bully Lynn's budget never spiraled out of control, nor did Ang Lee go mad overdemanding on set.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Also Bully Lynn's budget never spiraled out of control, nor did Ang Lee go mad overdemanding on set.

This. Ang Lee will be fine. Everyone has flops. Chris Weitz's Golden Compass sunk NLC yet he was immediately offered Twilight Saga: New Moon and has now written Rogue One and Cinderella. And he's hardly as respected as Ang Lee. 

Billy Lynn isn't a flop that one cannot bounce back from. Interesting failure more than anything else.

• Like 5

Within almost a week of release, every single one of the original songs from the Moana soundtrack have charted in the Top 200 of iTunes.  

"How Far I'll Go" (Auli'i Cravalho) is sitting at #11 while "We Know the Way" and "You're Welcome" are in the Top 50.  "I am Moana" is now gaining speed and could crack the Top 50 in a few days, becoming the true success story of the soundtrack. 

The only song under performing is "Shiny" which only started charting today after every other original song from the soundtrack.  "How Far I'll Go" (Reprise) and "Know Who You are" charted BEFORE "Shiny" and HIGHER than "Shiny."

As for the box office prospects I hope Moana rebounds during Saturday and Sunday to take the 5-day animated feature record in gross.  

• Like 1

STX Halts ‘Godforsaken’ As Sylvester Stallone Exits

4 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

When does Manchester-by the-sea go wide?

will open in 4 locations including Lincoln Plaza and the Angelika in New York as well as the Arclight Hollywood and The Landmark in L.A. Manchester then will head to an additional 8 markets Thanksgiving weekend. More theaters will be added in the following weeks before going to about 800 – 900 theaters in mid-December.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/manchester-by-the-sea-casey-affleck-nocturnal-animals-jake-gyllenhaal-specialty-box-office-1201856762/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Chris Weitz's Golden Compass sunk NLC yet he was immediately offered Twilight Saga: New Moon and has now written Rogue One and Cinderella. And he's hardly as respected as Ang Lee. 

About a Boy is so fucking good, I don't care that he hasn't come close since.

• Like 1