FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

Moana's mirroring Tangled adjusted numbers now, which if it followed from here would put its final tally around 220m. Only disappointing because its closest relatives at Disney, Zootopia and Frozen, were such overperforming monsters. Hopefully word of mouth does it similar favors, but I'm weary of it competing against Illumination's own musical over the holidays. 

I'm wondering if families are discovering Fantastic Beasts now after avoiding it last weekend? It's going to have a remarkable hold compared to other Potters. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

RTH's post - wow, just in time to look into BOT

For me it is day 13 I am bedridden - since I broke my ankle I try since yesterday to put ~ 10% weight on it in during the short times I am allwed to leave the bed. Now a bit more than till ~ Friday - I feel with you about the boredom

2016 Domestic B.O. Hits $10B At Record Pace; Will We See A New $11B+ Record If ‘Rogue One’ Falls Short Of ‘Force…

Fidel Castro died

33 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Fidel Castro died

60 years too late. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Moana's mirroring Tangled adjusted numbers now, which if it followed from here would put its final tally around 220m. Only disappointing because its closest relatives at Disney, Zootopia and Frozen, were such overperforming monsters. Hopefully word of mouth does it similar favors, but I'm weary of it competing against Illumination's own musical over the holidays. 

I'm wondering if families are discovering Fantastic Beasts now after avoiding it last weekend? It's going to have a remarkable hold compared to other Potters. 

Yup, with Sing coming, I don't think it'll achieve the extraordinary legs of Zootopia and Frozen. 260M seems like the good target at the moment. Damn I expected so much more.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It had the same Thursday to Friday jump as TDW did, if it follows it the rest of the weekend, it gets around a 13.6M weekend.

added up with the estimates the 5-day ~ $1m less than e.g. BO.com predicted, but ~ $1m than BOM thought

Edited by terrestrial

Maybe Disney was just too low key with Moana marketing? They should have done a blitzing strategy, instead of focusing so much on DS and R1.

Also Deadline said 64% of the audience on OD was female and they tend to not rush out on opening weekend to see a movie outside of the Twilight series. Also families take their time to see animated movies. So all that adds up to a lower OW.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/moana-fantastic-beasts-tuesday-box-office-thanksgiving-1201859220/

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Anecdotal evidence alert. I was at Walmart earlier today and the toy aisle and frankly most aisles that have anything to do with kids were overflowing with Frozen merchandise, didn't see anything related to Moana. Frozen (specifically Elsa) is a merchandising juggernaut for sure, but normally you do see some items related to the current movie as well.

Possibly. Last year it seemed that at least part of the reason TGD didn't do as well as expected was it was completely overshadowed by TFA, as if Disney wasn't able to focus on two tentpoles at the same time. I wonder if there's a bit of that going on here, although not to the same degree. Star Wars is Disney's prime franchise, and Rogue One is kinda an important sell because of it's spinoff status. So is it possibly sucking up some of the push that could have been given to Moana. (Frozen, we'll remember, didn't have a Disney tentpole to contend with a month later.)

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

Huh. I had thought that Tangled had sub-par late legs, but just glancing at the weekend drops, it seemed to hold up okay.

What's actually going to be interesting now is how Moana will compare to BH6, which also had a mid-50s OW and finished in the 220m range. At the time, I criticized Disney's release, because it seemed like Thanksgiving was a much better release date than early November. (IIRC, my estimate was that they left at least 20m on the table, and possibly a lot more.) If Moana, with a better reception, isn't able to do better, perhaps it doesn't particularly matter?

I saw a Dr Stange commercial on TV on Thanksgiving day, even though that movie came out like 3 weeks ago. Shouldn't Disney have been pushing Moana HARD instead?

Why are they still showing DS commercials so late?

Edited by Mojoguy

4 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Frozen, we'll remember, didn't have a Disney tentpole to contend with a month later.

Looked at the 2013 holiday releases, and that is one sucky lineup the studios put out. The pre-Christmas to Christmas releases were Hobbit 2, Anchorman 2, Wolf of Wall Street, Walter Mitty, 47 Ronin, Grudge Match and Walking With Dinosaurs. And I watched 6 of those movies in the theater (including 3 in a single day because I literally had nothing better to do). The big expansion was American Hustle.

At least with Office Christmas Party, Rogue One, Passengers, Sing, Assassins Creed, Why Him? and Fences, the lineup has much more potential. The big expansion play is La La Land obviously.