Cmasterclay

Precursors 2016! Winners and Nominations

Some statistics from AwardsWatch: http://awardswatch.com/forums/showthread.php?42022-2016-AFI-Top-10-List-Announced&p=2803398&viewfull=1#post2803398

A total of 43 movies have made all three of AFI, NFCA, and NBR since the expansion, and only five missed a BP nomination: Nightcrawler, Unbroken, Llewyn Davis, Saving Mr Banks, and The Town. These are the seven movies that have made all three this year:

Arrival

Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

La La Land

Manchester by the Sea

Moonlight

Sully

If Hacksaw gets in at PGA which is solely the industry and has no critics, it's getting into BP.

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Jackie is done.

I'd wait until PGA before calling it quits. But yeah, it's not looking good.

Edit: It also wasn't eligible for AFI http://www.goldderby.com/article/2016/afi-top-10-films-2016-oscar/

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 4

I think other than Sully, every film on that list is probably safe, Sully might be getting nominated too.

Assuming That they nominate 8

That list + Silence?

List+ Fences?

List + Jackie?

List + Loving or Lion or Hidden figures or 20 century women? (probably less likely)

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I think other than Sully, everything film on that list is probably safe, Sully might be getting nominated too.

That list + Silence?

List+ Fences?

List + Jackie?

List + Loving or Lion or Hidden figures or 20 century women? (probably less likely)

That's the most probable scenario if all 7 of those get nominated. Hacksaw needs PGA though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's the most probable scenario if all 7 of those get nominated. Hacksaw needs PGA though.

I Hope Hacksaw gets it!

Looks like out of all African American themed movies this year, moonlight is likely the only real safe one. A lot of people were predicting 3 earlier (Moonlight, Fences, Loving), I knew that was probably not realistic.

9 hours ago, NCsoft said:

I think other than Sully, every film on that list is probably safe, Sully might be getting nominated too.

That list + Silence?

List+ Fences?

List + Jackie?

I would say that they will nominate 9 films. 6 of these 7 (Sully or HR can be shut out + Fences + Silence + another one (Hidden Figures?)

Silence and Fences were in 2/3 of AFI/NBR/BFCA combo. And Silence wasn't eligible for BFCA.

Hidden Figures has still to open. It will be hot just when AMPAS have to vote. It has NBR and an ensemble nom at BFCA. We know that acting branch is really important with AMPAS, so I am rooting for it.

Edited by stripe
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, NCsoft said:

I Hope Hacksaw gets it!

Looks like out of all African American themed movies this year, moonlight is likely the only real safe one. A lot of people were predicting 3 earlier (Moonlight, Fences, Loving), I knew that was probably not realistic.

We don't know by how much, but diversity is what Academy is looking for this year. Remember this is the first year with sensible changes in Academy members. We are judging the precursors with previous editions in mind, but we really don't know how the changes will affect to Oscar nominees.

Anyways, Moonlight and Fences look like solid contenders. And then there are still four movies dealing with diversity that might still be nommed: Silence, Loving, Lion, Hidden Figures.

Whatever happens in BP, Oscars will nominate an African American for BD, and there will be at least 4 not so white acting nominations.

• Like 2

BD is one of the most unpredictable categories. Besides Chazelle, I can see an scenario with any combo that includes Villeneuve, Jenkins, Lonergan, Scorsese, Mackenzie, Washington or Eastwood. Even Gibson cannot be discarded.

Obviously early precursors are supporting Lonergan and Jenkins. And Mackenzie's chances are increasing. But, guilds and globes will be the real test.

• Like 1

I can definitely see the golden globes nominating gibson too. they love inviting him much to the discomfort of everyone else. SAG won't have seen Silence yet so Garfield might get nominated for Ridge there. Honestly it's a toss-up which one gets him an oscar nod, if he gets one at all.

42 minutes ago, cannastop said:

http://bofca.com/2016-bofca-awards/

Boston Online Film Critics Association

BEST PICTURE:
MOONLIGHT

BEST DIRECTOR:
Damien Chazelle – LA LA LAND

etc.

Great showing for Manchester and Moonlight.

THE TEN BEST FILMS OF THE YEAR:
MOONLIGHT
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
LA LA LAND
PATERSON
HELL OR HIGH WATER
GREEN ROOM
SILENCE
CERTAIN WOMEN
THE HANDMAIDEN
ELLE

Well that's an interesting, nifty pick there.

• Like 2