La Binoche

Weekend numbers. Moana 28.3 | FB 18.5 | Arrival 7.3 | Allied 7 | DS 6.8 | Trolls 4.6 | Hacksaw 3.4

13 minutes ago, Noctis said:

If a brown-skinned princess can do well in the US, then she can definitely do well in the UK.

I guess. but UK or not, Moana is overall not performing so well and as a minority myself I just cannot say that I'm 100% certain that the color is a non-factor and the fact that I'm even questioning it kinda makes me disappointed. well, at least I'm glad that it's doing very well in the US. :) 

1 minute ago, yjs said:

I guess. but UK or not, Moana is overall not performing so well and as a minority myself I just cannot say that I'm 100% certain that the color is a non-factor and the fact that I'm even questioning it kinda makes me disappointed. well, at least I'm glad that it's doing very well in the US. :) 

i had no idea it even opened this weekend. didn't do a great job of getting the word out there.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, yjs said:

It's an apparently great movie and people seem to love it, so it will hopefully end up as a beloved classic among the Disney canon. Moana will be fine, and her legacy won't be affected by the box office. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yjs said:

It will still be a success for Disney. People have just come to have unreasonable expectations for Disney animations. Frozen and Zootopia were the exception, not the rule. The fact that 1b was thrown so easily before the opening is mind boggling to me. 600m is nothing to sneeze at.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Maybe it'll do well over Christmas, but OS so far is looking quite weak. 

I simply don't understand why though. Perhaps I was expecting too much after the success of Zootopia, which was really driven by China, but Moana seems like it should play well everywhere. Even Tangled got a 34/66 split years ago. 

Japan, please show up for this.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i had no idea it even opened this weekend. didn't do a great job of getting the word out there.

haha yes, this is more of an encouraging news, actually. cause at least it means it's just not well-known at the moment, not like rejected for what it is. 

I need to stop projecting myself tho haha, I just got too excited and personal for the possibility of it being a huge worldwide hit featuring a colored female title role, we have way too few of those. The last one was Mulan. :( but, it's still a hit, just not a Tangled level hit, I'll stop being dramatic and political and should just take that as a win. ;) haha

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

hence the reason I mentioned earlier the seemingly non-existent advertising in at least some OS countries.

Plus in China, it is running against the as best ever 2D animated opening 'Your Name' and FB and... To me the release date e.g. in China looked quite cluttered.

Warner Bros.’ Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them took second place for the second consecutive frame with an estimated $18.54 million, after debuting on top two weekends back. The fantasy Harry Potter spinoff dropped 58.9 percent, a steep drop especially relative to its previous 39.4 percent second-weekend decline on the Thanksgiving weekend, when most films experience mild declines. It’s now earned $183.50 million through 17 days, which is 3.8 percent lower than even the lowest of the eight Potterfilms on that metric: 2004’s Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban had earned an inflation-adjusted $190.92 million through 17 days.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/studio-weekend-estimates-moana-28-3m-incarnate-debuts-9th-w-2-6m/

How is that a steep drop? It is as good as HP1's and way better than all the other HP movies opening in November. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, James said:

Warner Bros.’ Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them took second place for the second consecutive frame with an estimated $18.54 million, after debuting on top two weekends back. The fantasy Harry Potter spinoff dropped 58.9 percent, a steep drop especially relative to its previous 39.4 percent second-weekend decline on the Thanksgiving weekend, when most films experience mild declines. It’s now earned $183.50 million through 17 days, which is 3.8 percent lower than even the lowest of the eight Potterfilms on that metric: 2004’s Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban had earned an inflation-adjusted $190.92 million through 17 days.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/studio-weekend-estimates-moana-28-3m-incarnate-debuts-9th-w-2-6m/

How is that a steep drop? It is as good as HP1's and way better than all the other HP movies opening in November. 

Its better than every Twilight, every Hunger Games and every Potter sequel and on par with Sorcerors Stone. Pretty much an on-par drop TBH. Calling it steep is just misstating facts.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The FB sequel isn't increasing in the majority of markets.

I expect increases in US, UK, China at least. Let's not forget that FB opened lower than your usual HP movie in a lot of markets, then developed great legs. And the sequel adds something that will make the HP fans that decided to skip the first one something to root for again: Dumbledore. Familiarity is a very strong selling point. 

Speaking of Sony, they have no movies on the chart. Their 3 fall releases - Mag7, Inferno and Billy Lynn aren't doing enough to even be reported. Have we had such a thing with a big 5 studio before where they literally had nothing to report despite their movies being in theaters?