Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

8 minutes ago, slambros said:

I'm sheepish on the comedy affiliation. I've yet to see the film, but I think there will certainly be people who fail to recognize it as comedy. I wish good luck to these guys, but we'll just have to see what happens.

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I personally thought The Martian was my favorite comedy of 2015

The comedy category is less stacked as a Best Picture matter, and on most fronts, this year.  When Three Billboards was expected in comedy that might have been different.  Essentially, this gives Get Out a better chance at awards, and pre-Oscar boost

19 minutes ago, trifle said:

The comedy category is less stacked as a Best Picture matter, and on most fronts, this year.  When Three Billboards was expected in comedy that might have been different.  Essentially, this gives Get Out a better chance at awards, and pre-Oscar boost

Even then, you have some clear heavy hitters.

The Big Sick

The Disaster Artist

I, Tonya

Lady Bird

Victoria & Abdul (to an extent)

The Greatest Showman (to an extent)

Battle of the Sexes (to an extent)

Girls Trip (to an extent)

Older voters would choose Victoria & Abdul and The Greatest Showman over Get Out any day of the week, to be blunt.

I'm just not convinced Get Out will make it into a category that is supposed to celebrate comedies and musicals.

The Martian was a different, pre-controversy era. Because believe me, that pick was controversial. They've learned since then. They'll have vowed to avoid so-so genre films like Get Out since then.

That's my logic, though.

Edited by slambros

4 minutes ago, slambros said:

Even then, you have some clear heavy hitters.

The Big Sick

The Disaster Artist

I, Tonya

Lady Bird

Victoria & Abdul (to an extent)

The Greatest Showman (to an extent)

Battle of the Sexes (to an extent)

Girls Trip (to an extent)

Older voters would choose Victoria & Abdul and The Greatest Showman over Get Out any day of the week, to be blunt.

I'm just not convinced Get Out will make it into a category that is supposed to celebrate comedies and musicals.

The Martian was a different, pre-controversy era. Because believe me, that pick was controversial. They've learned since then. They'll have vowed to avoid so-so genre films like Get Out since then.

That's my logic, though.

The Shape of Water.

3 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Oh I thought you were talking about Best Picture

That's alright! I'm just talking about the Best Picture - Comedy/Musical section of the Golden Globes.

For the Oscars, however, I think both The Shape of Water and Get Out will be on the list without a doubt.

54 minutes ago, cookie said:

Comedy at the Golden Globes is basically anything that isn't dead-pan serious.

Feel like it will change a little bit, now the movie will pretty much always be in the category the distributor decide (in the case of big director I imagine that will mean them), the globe voters need a 66% votes to change a distributor decision, making it a bit harder for them to optimize their category for star powers and what not.

We should less often see pissed off director like Ridley Scott with the Martian or David O Russel with American Hustle getting the reputed kiss of death of a comedy placement without being clearly one (or a musical).

Under the news rules:

La La Land

20th Century Women

Deadpool

Florence Foster Jenkins

Sing Street

Not bad (maybe they have the musical a bit easy, but nowaday pure musical genre is almost death...) at all for the 4 movies I have seen, I have not seen 20th century woman but at least imdb has it has comedy-drama. This year with 3 billboard going drama (that the kind of one they would have maybe changed in comedy in the past), it seem it will be a good year again for the division.

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's more of a comedy than Mad Max: Fury Road is a drama.

I'd disagree.  If you can only categorize comedy/musical or drama, Fury Road is definitely a drama.

Get Out is funny, but it's definitely more dramatic in material.  I can kind of get that you might classify it as social satire, so it at least has that over something like The Martian in drama.

• Like 1