Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Mods,

Why doesn't the thread title say the usual "absolutely no spoilers"?

Or is that just for movies that open internationally first? (For some reason?) 

The standard rule that applies to all movie threads is any spoiler must be tagged for four weeks within the movie thread. If people are breaking this rule please report them.

The dedicated spoiler thread with a total ban on spoilers (including tagged) in the main movie thread only occurs for certain mega movies. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The standard rule that applies to all movie threads is any spoiler must be tagged for four weeks within the movie thread. If people are breaking this rule please report them.

The dedicated spoiler thread with a total ban on spoilers (including tagged) in the main movie thread only occurs for certain mega movies. 

Why? 

42 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So anybody know black people who enjoyed this movie?

I haven't seen it yet, but it feels like a better question is "a black person who didn't". It feels very much like a Straight Outta Compton or Hidden Figures type scenario - it appeals to everyone (except white supremacists who are offended by just about anything #trumpsupporterslol), and, again, while I haven't seen it, it seems to be especially sympathetic towards black people.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I haven't seen it yet, but it feels like a better question is "a black person who didn't". It feels very much like a Straight Outta Compton or Hidden Figures type scenario - it appeals to everyone (except white supremacists who are offended by just about anything #trumpsupporterslol), and, again, while I haven't seen it, it seems to be especially sympathetic towards black people.

Main reason I see Black Panther over $300M domestic if it is as loved as SOC, HF, and Get Out.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So anybody know black people who enjoyed this movie?

lmao this is a joke? I'm actually interested to see the demographics of the audience though tbh. I saw it in a theater that was probably about half black and the crowd reaction was a lot of fun lol. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Main reason I see Black Panther over $300M domestic if it is as loved as SOC, HF, and Get Out.

Well, it's the MCU, it's Ryan Coogler (which guarantees some quality at the very least), and it's probably the most subtly hyped Marvel movie this side of a Spider-Man or an Infinity War. It maybe will not be AS loved as any of those three, but all it needs is a good trailer and critical reception anywhere near them - as well as Creed and Fruitvale Station - and it's reaching for Deadpool numbers all the way. Hell, at this point, over Deadpool wouldn't shock me.

Fun fact: Daniel Kaluuya is IN the cast of Black Panther.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, it's the MCU, it's Ryan Coogler (which guarantees some quality at the very least), and it's probably the most subtly hyped Marvel movie this side of a Spider-Man or an Infinity War. It maybe will not be AS loved as any of those three, but all it needs is a good trailer and critical reception anywhere near them - as well as Creed and Fruitvale Station - and it's reaching for Deadpool numbers all the way. Hell, at this point, over Deadpool wouldn't shock me.

Fun fact: Daniel Kaluuya is IN the cast of Black Panther.

If it gets better reviews than Iron Man or TDK and Disney brings in the hype (release something big with it for TLJ), I could $400M as a small possibility.

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

If it gets better reviews than Iron Man or TDK and Disney brings in the hype (release something big with it for TLJ), I could $400M as a small possibility.

Beating The Dark Knight in reviews is very unlikely, so I don't know about that. But the 400M thing... also unlikely, but it could happen. Looking at it, February and March aren't even that stacked compared to this year, so competition isn't such an issue. Pacific Rim, Tomb Raider and the likes are stuff that BP doesn't really have to worry about. And with The Flash gone from March, that leaves the superhero landscape all to itself until Avengers (unless Deadpool 2 comes out within that time frame, which is unlikely).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Beating The Dark Knight in reviews is very unlikely, so I don't know about that. But the 400M thing... also unlikely, but it could happen. Looking at it, February and March aren't even that stacked compared to this year, so competition isn't such an issue. Pacific Rim, Tomb Raider and the likes are stuff that BP doesn't really have to worry about. And with The Flash gone from March, that leaves the superhero landscape all to itself until Avengers (unless Deadpool 2 comes out within that time frame, which is unlikely).

I don't see $400M happening but it wouldn't surprise me either.

37 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

That's wierd. :mellow:

Why? It's a very balanced movie that pokes fun at virtually everyone (liberals, conservatives, black, white, you name it). That's why the WOM is so strong in all demos. There may have been a preconceived expectation that it's offensive to one or the other side but it isn't and WOM reflects that. 

@grey ghost

I'd be really happy with Dr. Strange numbers for Black Panther.

It's very rare for the first solo outing of a B-list or C-list superhero to make over 200 m.[/quote]

BP is going to open and finish with way more because there's a real anticipation for the character not just "well, it's another Marvel movie and it's my habit to see it so I'll see it". Most people didn't know Strange so they weren't hyped for the character but BP is actually known. There will be a palatable boxoffice difference. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Why? It's a very balanced movie that pokes fun at virtually everyone (liberals, conservatives, black, white, you name it). That's why the WOM is so strong in all demos. There may have been a preconceived expectation that it's offensive to one or the other side but it isn't and WOM reflects that. 

@grey ghost

No I mean its wierd that they didn't reveal who made up the other 27%