Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

Strangely enough I liked the characters.  I liked the way they were developed and I had enough information to understand who they were.  They weren't your usual good or evil Star Wars characters.  They had some grey. 

The one major stumbling block was that I couldn't remember their names.

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

How was the action compared to TFA?. I was one of those that thought the action in TFA wasn't as 'epic' as the other SW films, and quite short in action compared to the other SW films as well.

That was my biggest grip with Force Awakens too.

The movie never felt epic and grand.

Rogue1 is totally different, the scale is big and the last 40 minutes is a fantastic set-piece that has to be experienced in a movie theater.

ILM delivered hard on this one.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, lab276 said:

The one major stumbling block was that I couldn't remember their names.

I'll give you that.

I didn't want to know to much about it before hand so only the names Jyn and Cassian stuck with me.

Either that or I'm racist. Sad!

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

That was my biggest grip with Force Awakens too.

The movie never felt epic and grand.

Rogue1 is totally different, the scale is big and the last 40 minutes is a fantastic set-piece that has to be experienced in a movie theater.

ILM delivered hard on this one.

Exactly what i said at the time. I really liked the film but it just didn't have that 'epic' feel of the other films. It felt quite small actually.

Still a worhty sequel though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Well...thoughts on Rogue One?

I just wrote my spoiler filled review in the RTM thread, but here's my review edited to exclude spoilers:

I thought about my favorite movies this year during a pivotal moment in Rogue One. Why did I like movies such as Arrival, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and Hell or High Water so much? It's because they had well written characters. I was deeply invested in Louise Bank's mission to translate the Heptapods' language, rooted for Mary Elizabeth Winstead to escape the clutches of John Goodman, and saw the sides of a story between two brothers and two sheriffs. These characters invested me into their respective movies and made me wonder where they'll go next. Rogue One left me with no such feelings.

The story itself is fine. A team of Rebels must unite and retrieve the plans for the Death Star. That's a really cool concept! However, Gareth Edwards does nothing to propel this concept and instead leaves us with a very bland procedural executed by poorly developed characters. Because I was not invested in these characters, I felt nothing when the movie asked me to feel emotion. This moive could have been much more powerful and effective if, once again, THERE WERE GOOD CHARACTERS! It says a lot when Darth Vader is the best character with very minimal screentime.

Now, is the movie well directed? Sure. Even when you take out the script's issues, the movie is very pretty to look at. The action is fine but forgettable save for that amazing Darth Vader scene. Giacchino's score sounded very Star Trekkie and I liked the music in two "emotional" moments, but otherwise it's a serviceable score.

The worst movies are ones that leave no lasting impression. Say what you will about TPM and AOTC, but at least you can REMEMBER what made them so terrible. I guarantee I won't be thinking about Rogue One when I wake up tomorrow, and if I am, it'll be because of how let down I was. C+ | 6/10

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Can you give your SW rankings?

Were your expectations for RO sky high, hence the disappointment? 

ESB

ANH

TFA

ROTS

ROTJ

RO

TPM

AOTC

• Like 7