Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I'm asking this seriously because no one seems to be even considering the possibility...

Rogue One had previews bigger than Civil War -- Why can't it follow its week-end?

= 179

What is stopping this movie from performing this way?

I mean, TFA did it last year when it followed JW, I understand that the previews were much larger but let's be honest here, it's not like movie theaters could handle more traffic at this point. TFA/JW week-end numbers for each days are probably the maximum right now until more cinemas open, rooms get bigger, or something like that.

Because Star Wars has proved to be more frontloaded, at least in terms of previews to OW ratio. Not saying it's impossible but highly unlikely imho.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Bumped mine from  $148m to $160m :unsure:.

Don't give up on hope, fam.

I'm going potentially two more times this weekend to help you out. Make 10 tickets feel like 100!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

I'm asking this seriously because no one seems to be even considering the possibility...

Rogue One had previews bigger than Civil War -- Why can't it follow its week-end?

= 179

I mean, TFA did it last year when it followed JW, I understand that the previews were much larger but let's be honest here, it's not like movie theaters could handle more traffic at this point. TFA/JW week-end numbers for each days are probably the maximum right now until more cinemas open, rooms get bigger, or something like that.

People are thinking its gonna be more fan-driven, there is no rush to see this like there was for TFA. It's essentially do 50% of TFA business everywhere.

I think it will perform like a a regular Christmas movie (essentially depressed opening, with great legs) 

7 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

= 179

The argument has been made dozens and dozens of times over the past few days, and it's the fact that Star Wars as a franchise is historically front-loaded in terms of both previews and presales, way more so than even current superhero films.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Is that so?

My pupils say I have more energy after 3 days without sleep than anyone of them (10 to 17 years old) after only 4 hours of sleep have the next day.... (or worse, the day after that). Whimps. Nicely/jokingly meant, they never where in really bad and longer lasting situations, and that is good.

• Like 2

Upfront rush on likely not as fierce as on . Full domestic opening wknd has potential to break $150M.

• Like 2

For those thinking that Moana might hit 15m this weekend - you have to remember that comps with other films are not nearly as great due to the size of the new openers and with TS2 one has to remember to look further into the run for actual comparison since it opened limited 5 days before the expansion therefore skewing the actual day to day increase.

with a 1.3m Thursday the best we can really hope for realistically is about 14m (150+ on Friday, 100+ on Saturday, down -35% on Sunday) the Friday increase will be between the 116% of Tangled (more theater loss on top of several films opening) and the 200% of Frozen - because, well it's Frozen. It could go crazy, but again as with the preview numbers for SW it only sets up for disappointment ala last weekend when people started talking 20m and it didn't come close.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hw64 said:

The argument has been made dozens and dozens of times over the past few days, and it's the fact that Star Wars as a franchise is historically front-loaded in terms of both previews and presales, way more so than even current superhero films.

Just now, terrestrial said:

Upfront rush on likely not as fierce as on . Full domestic opening wknd has potential to break $150M.0 replies .3 likes

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hw64 said:

I heard the same being said over and over about Fantastic Beasts a few weeks ago though.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, water said:

what star wars movies has everyone seen in theaters? i'm 21 and for me it's only been rots and tfa (and ro as of 2 days from now)

Force Awakens

Rogue One

This week, I finally knocked off the animated one so when VIII comes out, I can have a list of the top 10 Star Wars movies :D

• Like 1