Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

16 minutes ago, MJL said:

So now the question is which trend will it follow.  

Ep III did 16.5m from previews (which adjusts to 22.2m in 2016) and went on to a 50m OD (67m adj) on a Thursday and FA did 57m from previews and a 120m OD. So, we are looking at a 2.1 - 3.0 multi from previews for a  61m - 87m range.  

Previews have definitely grown since then, but at the same time RO isn't as much of a "Rush out and see this for a first showing" type of movie as FA with the return of the main cast (in my opinion).  I still feel 3x is obviously way too high to expect but feel 2.1x is too low.  

I'm thinking this should get about a 2.3 - 2.5 multi for a 67 - 72m OD (38 - 43m true Friday).

The $16.5m were just from midnight's - not shows starting at 7pm - big difference

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

He's just despicable as a director, sucking the life out of every frame he touches with his sour and dour style of film-making. He wants nothing to happen in as long of his films' runtime as possible out of some kind of misguided notion that it elevates his films when the third act "payoff" comes around. It exposes a total ambivalence towards the medium of feature length filmmaking. He wants to make 10-15% of a film and not have to be bothered with the remainder of it. The soulless characters that inhabit his barren muted worlds only serve to highlight his obviously bleak world viewpoint, as it seeps through the screen like toxic waste, draining any sense of entertainment value out of the Hollywood blockbuster. 

I find it astonishing you're reading so much into his intent. You don't like his movies. That's okay, that's cool. But it's pretty much the end of that particular discussion. The rest of it is you projecting your dislike onto every single thing he does.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

He's just despicable as a director, sucking the life out of every frame he touches with his sour and dour style of film-making. He wants nothing to happen in as long of his films' runtime as possible out of some kind of misguided notion that it elevates his films when the third act "payoff" comes around. It exposes a total ambivalence towards the medium of feature length filmmaking. He wants to make 10-15% of a film and not have to be bothered with the remainder of it. The soulless characters that inhabit his barren muted worlds only serve to highlight his obviously bleak world viewpoint, as it seeps through the screen like toxic waste, draining any sense of entertainment value out of the Hollywood blockbuster. 

You know MovieMan, sometimes your opinions aren't strong enough :P We are on the opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to how we view Edwards.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

You're honestly asking me if I think the critics were right? You know how I feel about critics. In my opinion the kind of worthless. They don't see movies the same way that I think they should. But that's a conversation for another time. To answer your question no I don't agree with them at all about this movie.

Thanks!!! :D

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Jesus. Cinema being political is a good thing. I don't think Rogue One is political, but to be AGAINST the idea of a Star Wars movie being political is so silly to me.

I'm only against it in the sense that if a filmmaker puts a political agenda ahead of narrative concerns, it can ruin the potential of a movie.   It should only be there if the story requires it.

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah based on the sellout report comparison it seemed to be headed quite a bit higher than BVS. Seems the walk-ups were not anywhere near as strong as we expected. Either that is a sign of backloading with the general audience or extreme frontloading with the diehard fans. We'll find out soon enough.

Don't forget rallax's numbers. That suggests a solid amount of presales were for non-preview shows.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Did you end up seeing it last night or is tonight your first time?

I got busy with other friends so this will be my first viewing tonight.  It's why I have been scarce in almost all the Rogue One threads because if I'm not, i know I'll read something I didn't want to before i see it :P 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

159217-stripes-lighten-up-francis-gif-9G

But hey if you didn't like you didn't like it.  It's your opinion and that should be accepted.

• Like 7