Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

I'm not blind nor dumb, I can totally see that some of you guys are just shamelessly gunning for those likes...

:kitschjob:

And RTH forgive me, I'm falling for it anyway; I'm just so freaking happy with this movie that I'm handing it all out! I'm probably about to hit my likes limit though and I'm still on page 119, crap.

:sadben:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Oh shut up.

Lol, this board is so damn sensitive about Star Wars, I love it. I remember last year at this time when I was TFA's biggest fan I was in the top 5 most liked posters most weeks. This year 90% of the board wants to see me hanged for hating R1. This is so much fun. :lol:

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

Just now, grey ghost said:

145 m OW and the naysayers gloat.

155 m OW and the loonies gloat.

There's literally 10 million deciding a month's worth of bragging rights. :kitschjob:

Boy isn't that the truth! Don't they just FEEL different, though? I mean I'll give you my personal example. I didn't respond earlier, because I know everyone would go nuts about high expectations, but no I'm sorry I wasn't happy or impressed with $29M previews. When a Star Wars movie apparently doesn't have enough die-hard fans to beat any Twilight preview number? Told me quite a lot, but what I suspected. Star Wars fans are casuals. We get a lot of credit because our die hard fans are like me, total nut jobs who watch the movies dozens of times, go to Celebrations, spend $100,000 on merchandise, whatever. Yes, we are out there. But in all honesty, most Star Wars fans are complete casuals. They can't be bothered to show up for opening night unless it's convenient for them. They love the franchise, yeah yeah, but it's still just entertainment. To die-hard fans, it's something quite a lot more than that, more like religion or a way of life. If Star Wars fans were actually die-hard, I'm sorry, but no, a movie with more D-Box, IMAX, and PLF showings than ever would have beaten Twilight. And yes, it's a difference of $2.5M or something, but it matters. I would have been a LOT happier with a $32M preview number than a $29M, can't even break $30M number. The difference may be tiny, but it's significant. 

It's not hard to figure this out, though, go on the Star Wars forums. "Well, there's a holiday party on Thursday so..." "Well, I couldn't get my friend to go, so I'm waiting until Sunday." "Well, you know, work." *mouth agape* YOU HAD ONE YEAR TO PLAN! My god. What the hell is up with the fan base?! Die hard my ass. If these people are considered die-hard, then wow, what am I? Commit to an insane-asylum loony, no doubt. That is a casual. A die-hard makes a priority out of a new movie opening and come hell or high water is going to be there no matter fucking what. Star Wars fan base is full of casuals, and I think it's wrong to say that Star Wars is especially front-loaded as a franchise. It just happened the casuals showed up for TFA's preview night. They didn't this time around, and you'll see that in the OW. The "fans" decided to wait until some random OW day, they sure couldn't be bothered to come Thursday. God forbid they have that sort of passion, jesus, it's 2016, passion is so last century. If this movie hits $70M Friday that tells you all you need to know about how die-hard and how "front-loaded" Star Wars is. Not much at all. I also think there is another huge group of die-hard movie fans, like me, who saw TFA as a major event and they weren't going to miss the most anticipated movie ever right away. It tapped into that enormous group of moviegoers who fancy themselves popular culture experts. Rogue One? Yeah, they'll see it, of course they will. But on Friday, or Saturday, or next week, or whatever, they weren't going to go fight the crazy Star Wars fans for seats. Not for a spinoff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

The Vader scene alone is price of admission for me lol 

Looking forward to it.

I want a spinoff about Vader and the Empire. Like Lords of the Sith. I would love to see a Star Wars movie from the Sith perspective. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, this board is so damn sensitive about Star Wars, I love it. I remember last year at this time when I was TFA's biggest fan I was in the top 5 most liked posters most weeks. This year 90% of the board wants to see me hanged for hating R1. This is so much fun. :lol:

You sound like such a whiny brat in your posts.  We get it, "WAHHH GARETH EDWARDS IS EVIL."  He made a great film, sorry you weren't able to appreciate it :).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What directions do you want to see direct spinoffs?

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, this board is so damn sensitive I love it. I remember last year at this time when I was TFA's biggest fan I was in the top 5 most liked posters most weeks. This year 90% of the board wants to see me hanged for hating R1. This is so much fun. :lol:

its cos when you like a movie you're just sorta there... an inoffensive, bland poster at best, but when you dislike something it's just a "look at me" spew of the same reiterations over and over again in ways that i'm sure you think are clever. like we get it gareth edwards yeah, yeah whatever. at least switch up the drumbeat man. 

btw i didn't like tfa and no one really gave me shit for it because i can express my opinions like an adult and not just make fart noises with my keyboard whenever someone says they like it.

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

It's currently sitting at 3rd for me. I was not expecting to love it this much, but I'm going again tonight, which is the quickest turnaround I have ever had for seeing a movie multiple times in the theater.

ESB

ANH

TFA

RO

ROTJ

ROTS

AOTC

TPM

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They see me trollin..They hatin...

qnDtMwL.gif

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I want a spinoff about Vader and the Empire. Like Lords of the Sith. I would love to see a Star Wars movie from the Sith perspective. 

Not exactly like Lords of the Sith. That book was over 50% dull as a dishwasher Free Ryloth perspective too. Yes to Sith POV movie, though. But, like I said, none of "good guys" POV too. I hate human POV in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, for example, and I sure as hell hated Free Ryloth (who were actually worse in their actions than Empire and Sith Lords). 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Then it will all be forgotten after Episode VIII opens and once again, the previous entry is re-examined and properly dismissed as "not that great" and "meh." 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I was pretty mixed on this movie and I thought Godzilla was almost complete shit, but I'm not frequently making chronic shitposts about evil Gareth Edwards ruining Star Wars or Rogue One's box office.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

its cos when you like a movie you're just sorta there... an inoffensive, bland poster at best, but when you dislike something it's just a "look at me" spew of the same reiterations over and over again in ways that i'm sure you think are clever. like we get it gareth edwards yeah, yeah whatever. at least switch up the drumbeat man. 

btw i didn't like tfa and no one really gave me shit for it because i can express my opinions like an adult and not just make fart noises with my keyboard whenever someone says they like it.

No one gave you shit for it because you were quiet about it. What fun is that? 

Btw, I'm equally if not more vocal about a movie I love, again as evidenced by this time last year when I was one of the most active posters here, cheering TFA along every chance I could get. 

I really have no use for discussions on things that are mediocre in life to me. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I would just like to say, wow... 

Edwards feels like he tried something. Unlike TFA where mechanic Abrams constructed a formulaic fast-paced hit your beats please the masses affair, this feels like it tried to be something special. Regardless of the result, I admire that. 

• Like 1