Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

Just now, The Futurist said:

What will be the competition for R1 :

Collateral Damage : :qotd:

Flop-ssengers : :sadben:

So what ?

Sing ?

Why Him ?

La La Land ?

Assassin s Creed ?

Live by Night ?

Rogue One: FLOP

Collateral Damage: FLOP

Passengers: FLOP

Why Him?: FLOP

La La Land: FLOP

Assassins Creed: FLOP

Live by Night: FLOP

SING IS THE EVENT MOVIE OF THE HOLIDAYS!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

This is a great point and one I was thinking of myself. Why are some people thinking this will be just as front-loaded, or even more so, than TFA when we've just had a similar example a few weeks ago of more adult oriented spin-off from HP being relatively back-loaded?

I'm not saying this will behave similarly to FB or something, but the comp is there.

Yeah.  It is a different beast in the same world, just like that one.  It will chart its own course, I would presume.  This looks awfully good to me, but I didn't know what to expect, and still don't get how holiday legs work.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Empire said:

29M previews is a good number. Not sure why some people are disappointed. 

I don't get it either. Honestly.....bigger midnight previews than $30M is rare, but that doesn't mean people should be panicking if it ends up lower.

Both Avengers & Jurassic World had around $18M previews, and yet they both ended up at $207-208M OW. A blockbuster doesn't always need an over $30-40M previews to open to record-breaking numbers.

The reason SW:EP7 had $57M previews  was because it had so much anticipation from everyone who were excited for that film.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 5

One of the odd things about living in LA is running into industry people at random moments. I've shared this basic detail on what's app before, but the father of one of the kids in my son's kindergarten class is a senior VFX producer and CEO. He ran Digital Domain for awhile, he ran CafeFX, his guys have been nominated (and won) Oscars. Every once in awhile we run into each other at a school event and say hi -- I don't know him well but since he knows I'm in post-production too we tend to chat shop a bit.

So this morning was a Christmas-breakfast pajama morning at school, and he and I spent the whole time geeking out over R1. He loved it as much as me. He's going again tonight with his family... last night he went with his best friend. He thought the VFX were top-notch, including [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] that bother some people. He said he had a few minor quibbles but was blown away overall by the achievement.

• Like 13

Okayyy, I try to avoid posting already posted quotes / links but you all post too fast...

The preview total includes $3.7 million earned in North America last night from 401 IMAX screens.

did we know that?

with a domestic opening of $135 million to $150 million, according to predictions.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/weekend-box-office-rogue-one-star-wars-story-29-million-previews-tally-thursday-956347

• Like 1

I'm asking this seriously because no one seems to be even considering the possibility...

Rogue One had previews bigger than Civil War -- Why can't it follow its week-end?

= 179

What is stopping this movie from performing this way?

I mean, TFA did it last year when it followed JW, I understand that the previews were much larger but let's be honest here, it's not like movie theaters could handle more traffic at this point. TFA/JW week-end numbers for each days are probably the maximum right now until more cinemas open, rooms get bigger, or something like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

One of the odd things about living in LA is running into industry people at random moments. I've shared this basic detail on what's app before, but the father of one of the kids in my son's kindergarten class is a senior VFX producer and CEO. He ran Digital Domain for awhile, he ran CafeFX, his guys have been nominated (and won) Oscars. Every once in awhile we run into each other at a school event and say hi -- I don't know him well but since he knows I'm in post-production too we tend to chat shop a bit.

So this morning was a Christmas-breakfast pajama morning at school, and he and I spent the whole time geeking out over R1. He loved it as much as me. He's going again tonight with his family... last night he went with his best friend. He thought the VFX were top-notch, including [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] that bother some people. He said he had a few minor quibbles but was blown away overall by the achievement.

Yup, RogueOne had that WOW VFX factor that was sorely missed in Force Awakens.

Some truly incredible stuff.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Your life sounds dreamy.

That's all I had to say.

• Like 4