FlashMaster659

Tues #s (Asgard pg 136) R1 22.4 Sing 17.7 Pass 6 Moan 4.6 Ass 3.6 WH 3.4 Fen 3.1 LLL 2.6

Even though The Firm certainly got a boost from Cruise's presence (especially considering that he was coming off of A Few Good Men), it was based on a huge bestseller. Grisham was so popular in the early-to-mid-'90s that three more of his adaptations (The Pelican Brief, The Client, A Time to Kill) also made really good money.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Thinking of starting my best of 2016 list sometime this week just cause once school starts up again it'll be hard to remain consistent. But I've missed out on a lot of good Oscar movies like la la land fences moonlight Manchester, and even ones like hidden figures and patriots day I want to see. Maybe I'll give myself another week.

Hide contents

unless someone has a good place I can watch some of those films

:ph34r: 

None of them have leaked yet.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

The era when a Hollywood star could just make a movie a hit just by starring in it, has long gone. Today there's no Tom Cruise that with his mere presence could turn distinctly average movies like Cocktail or The Firm into blockbusters. But denying that Lawrence has star power is simply not correct. Think about it, could the Hunger Games franchise been so epic at the BO with someone other than Jennifer Lawrence leading it? 

The Hunger Games was an already established franchise. It opened to $152 in its opening weekend back when JLaw was pretty much a nobody. So it was going to make money. The better question to ask is whether The Hunger Games would have had the same quality without JLaw and that's where you'll get a no at least from me. I do think an actor's performance can make or break a film, but I also know that when it comes to franchise films with an established fan base, it's very hard to say "X was the reason why it made so much money." 

I didnt see Jlaw's star power help Joy or X-men Apocalypse or Passengers. The period of having star power has come and gone. I can count the actors/actresses who put butts in seats because of their names regardless of the film on one hand and JLaw isn't one of them. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

I'm happy to see a lot of the films recover over Sunday and Monday. Especially Passengers and Why Him. I really thought Why Him was just going to be DOA but I got surprised. Deadline (surprisingly) said that Passengers would have really high volume on Sunday and Monday. Looks like they were right. (I can't believe Deadline was right about something) 

Ass is still a disappointment but we didn't expect anything less now did we. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alisson23 said:

And people says it is having great WOM... Imagine if it had bad WOM?! lmfao

There's not really much to imagine? In a vacuum, the number looks decidedly average, paired with the context of Christmas, the numbers (more so domestically than overseas) are more than fine. Going to finish with at least a 3.3x multiplier.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

FOREIGN TOTAL

1 3 $47,100,000 -65.1% 54 - $872,222 $237,400,000 2

Dec 23–25 1 $64,377,000
(Estimate)
-58.5% 4,157 - $15,486 $286,375,674
(Estimate)

And?

You do realise that there was this thing called christmas on the weekend, yes?

Rogue One lost the best day of the weekend and still delivered the 13th/14th best 2nd weekend ever. Monday might be the 2nd or 3rd best ever, followed by a whole week where it pretty much won't drop at all. It has a good chance to get the second best 2nd week ever, with another good chance to get at least the 3rd best 3rd weekend and week as well. Internationally, the 24th is in most nations cut short, while the 25th is either not much better either or not even having any showings at all, of course the weekend is going to look weak under such circumstances. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to realise that things will change completely over the next few days though, because instead of having the weakest days of the year, some of the strongest are about to hit.

Sounds more like you don't really know about what the circumstances are and how movies behave during such a period, because you couldn't be more wrong.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Beals said:

'LOL

You Lawrence loons are hilarious.

She is a mediocre starlet who lucked into two franchises and into the good graces of a director who is as overrated as she is.

She also happend to be entitled,brattyand immature.

This film tanking is proof that she can't open non-franchise stuff.

30 million over six days? Wasn't her name alone supposed to bring in close to 60 million over the same period?

1. He isn't a JLaw fan.

2. Stop talking about her in the weekend thread. It was boring 2 days ago and it's still boring.

3. Lol at "mediocre".

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm happy to see a lot of the films recover over Sunday and Monday. Especially Passengers and Why Him. I really thought Why Him was just going to be DOA but I got surprised. Deadline (surprisingly) said that Passengers would have really high volume on Sunday and Monday. Looks like they were right. (I can't believe Deadline was right about something) 

Ass is still a disappointment but we didn't expect anything less now did we. 

What is so hard to understand about normal box office patterns? It's comments like this from new posters that just irritate me as an old guy. We've been saying all week it's not Friday or three Saturday drop but what the films do from the 25th to the 2nd that count and yall keep acting as if it's something out of the ordinary. It happens every freaking year, slightly different make up since the calendar isn't exactly the same but similar non the less. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

FOREIGN TOTAL

1 3 $47,100,000 -65.1% 54 - $872,222 $237,400,000 2

Dec 23–25 1 $64,377,000
(Estimate)
-58.5% 4,157 - $15,486 $286,375,674
(Estimate)

I guess Christmas Eve/Day falling on Saturday and Sunday (aka no one going to the movies in general in Europe) has slipped your mind, but sure, RO has failed epically...

:ohmygod:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

The Firm was far from average...imo.

You are probably correct. But can you imagine a film like that having all that success in today's world? My point was that Tom Cruise in his prime, could turn a random (maybe really good, but random in the sense it was not really high-concept) movie into an outright blockbuster just by leading it. Such star-power is simply unimaginable today. 

• Like 2

Just now, PPZVGOS said:

You are probably correct. But can you imagine a film like that having all that success in today's world? My point was that Tom Cruise in his prime, could turn a random (maybe really good, but random in the sense it was not really high-concept) movie into an outright blockbuster just by leading it. Such star-power is simply unimaginable today. 

And it's a shame too. We lost something when blockbusters all of the sudden had to be high concept. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, narniadis said:

What is so hard to understand about normal box office patterns? It's comments like this from new posters that just irritate me as an old guy. We've been saying all week it's not Friday or three Saturday drop but what the films do from the 25th to the 2nd that count and yall keep acting as if it's something out of the ordinary. It happens every freaking year, slightly different make up since the calendar isn't exactly the same but similar non the less. 

Im sorry but I feel like this comment is completely unnecessary. Congrats you've been doing this for a while. I haven't. This is my first Christmas following the box office. So yea certain patterns I wasn't expecting because surprise IM NEW TO THIS. You don't have to tear down another poster just because they don't see or understand the box office the same way you do. I'm sorry for "irritating" you. Next time i just won't comment and keep all the observing to you and the rest of the "old" guys. 

My previous comment wasnt scarcasm either. I expected Passengers to increase as well as Why Him because duh it's Christmas Day. I just didn't expect them to increase as much as they did. That's all I was saying. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

It's irresponsible to say a movie earned a certain amount on Monday, when they don't know for sure.  Just say something like, if it follows the same pattern as movie X, it will earn......i hate impetuous reporting like the way they do it.

But you do realize that happens every Sunday on normal weekend right? :kitschjob:

• Like 2