FlashMaster659

Tues #s (Asgard pg 136) R1 22.4 Sing 17.7 Pass 6 Moan 4.6 Ass 3.6 WH 3.4 Fen 3.1 LLL 2.6

Some general observations without analyzing the numbers thoroughly: 

a) Rogue One is facing higher than anticipated competition from a number of lesser movies. Sing has been particularly dynamic and has easily exceeded expectations by a wide margin. Another outright triumph for Illumination studios. Passengers is also demonstrating signs of life after its poor first couple of days. Pratt & Lawrence have real star power (of only very few actors that still possess this quality) Even Why Him and Fences are doing better than expected, plus there are still holdovers on the scene, such as Moana, Fantastic Beasts etc... TFA by comparison had a much smoother path.

2) If Rogue One can maintain an almost X3 rate over SH2 up until Jan 2, then we will be looking at a total of around $450M by then . This is an optimistic scenario, but not an unthinkable one. Rogue One did (roughly) maintain its ratios over SH2 over the previous week, until the (relatively) bad Xmas Day number. 

c) The flood of new films has now stopped. This will definitely prove beneficial for Rogue One, since some of the current competitors will disappoint and whither away, freeing $$$ for Jyn Erso & co. This is why I think that 2) is optimistic but within the realm of the possible. 

d) Over $500M total guaranteed. Around $550M total likely. Over $600M if we are one with the Force and the Force is with us!

Edited by PPZVGOS
  • Like 4

Not a bad weekend. Sing, Why Him, and Fences weren't too bad starts. Nice 4-Day increase for La La Land, it should make it to the $30 million mark by around New Years and expand nicely on January 6th. Why Him should do $50-$60 million total which isn't too bad for an R-rated comedy. Fences should make around $50 million, which isn't bad for a Denzel Drama. 

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Hear, hear! That's a really great point. Oh, I'm sure that there will be "save the children" pearl clutchers on social media when they realize that - gasp -

Reveal hidden contents

But those stories are as old as mankind and will never go out of fashion. Pearl clutchers will have to deal with it. 

I'm rooting for Passengers rebound because of the twist. Also, watched Silver Lining Playbook last night. JLaw is a great actress and deserved that win. 

'LOL

You Lawrence loons are hilarious.

She is a mediocre starlet who lucked into two franchises and into the good graces of a director who is as overrated as she is.

She also happend to be entitled,brattyand immature.

This film tanking is proof that she can't open non-franchise stuff.

30 million over six days? Wasn't her name alone supposed to bring in close to 60 million over the same period?

24 minutes ago, Beals said:

'LOL

She is a mediocre starlet who lucked into two franchises and into the good graces of a director who is as overrated as she is.

30 million over six days? Wasn't her name alone supposed to bring in close to 60 million over the same period?

Just last week the film was projected to open at $50M. Sony was looking at $35M so no matter which way you look at it, the film definitely is underperforming. However if you ask some of us on here, the film is performing exactly how it should be. I never bought into the hype and never thought Lawrence or Pratt were these box office draws so the movie opened where I expected it. The industry thought otherwise but I think after this film expectations will come down for both Pratt and Lawrence. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Beals said:

'LOL

Lawrence was fantastic in Winter's Bone (still her best performance).

But her varying accent in American Hustle was laughably bad.

25 minutes ago, Beals said:

'LOL

The era when a Hollywood star could just make a movie a hit just by starring in it, has long gone. Today there's no Tom Cruise that with his mere presence could turn distinctly average movies like Cocktail or The Firm into blockbusters. But denying that Lawrence has star power is simply not correct. Think about it, could the Hunger Games franchise been so epic at the BO with someone other than Jennifer Lawrence leading it? 

• Like 2

It's irresponsible to say a movie earned a certain amount on Monday, when they don't know for sure.  Just say something like, if it follows the same pattern as movie X, it will earn......i hate impetuous reporting like the way they do it.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

The era when a Hollywood star could just make a movie a hit just by starring in it, has long gone. Today there's no Tom Cruise that with his mere presence could turn distinctly average movies like Cocktail or The Firm into blockbusters. But denying that Lawrence has star power is simply not correct. Think about it, could the Hunger Games franchise been so epic at the BO with someone other than Jennifer Lawrence leading it? 

The Firm was far from average...imo.

• Like 3

Thinking of starting my best of 2016 list sometime this week just cause once school starts up again it'll be hard to remain consistent. But I've missed out on a lot of good Oscar movies like la la land fences moonlight Manchester, and even ones like hidden figures and patriots day I want to see. Maybe I'll give myself another week.

unless someone has a good place I can watch some of those films

:ph34r: 

• Like 1

Again with the Sing overselling of how good it's opening is.

"Particularly dynamic" and "exceeded expectations by a wide margin."

REALLY????

I think that would describe Pets opening.

There has been a lot of hype for Sing for a while now and they were pushing the "nominated for best animation" before its opening.

I think Moana and Sing are having

decent/good runs but certainly not "dynamic" or exceeding expectations.