FlashMaster659

Tues #s (Asgard pg 136) R1 22.4 Sing 17.7 Pass 6 Moan 4.6 Ass 3.6 WH 3.4 Fen 3.1 LLL 2.6

Just now, BenedictL11 said:

While its total is solid, I was definitely expecting a lot more especially overseas.

It's attitudes like this that don't take everything into account. Zootopia and Frozen were overseas beasts for Disney but that's 2 films out of their entire cannon. When you look at the company as a whole they don't in general have huge OS performances when it comes to animated films. Pixar was in a similar way until recently. 

1 minute ago, MattW said:

Full disclosure I mostly make wrong predictions, but the rogue one Monday estimate seems quite a bit too high. There must strong presales for the day for Disney to go with over 31m for the day

Or just general Boxing Day on Monday history?? They honestly could have gone higher and still be fine. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

It's attitudes like this that don't take everything into account. Zootopia and Frozen were overseas beasts for Disney but that's 2 films out of their entire cannon. When you look at the company as a whole they don't in general have huge OS performances when it comes to animated films. Pixar was in a similar way until recently. 

Sorry about that.

4 minutes ago, MattW said:

Full disclosure I mostly make wrong predictions, but the rogue one Monday estimate seems quite a bit too high. There must strong presales for the day for Disney to go with over 31m for the day

It is busier today then yesterday here who knows.

At worst be flat but that be a 6 million difference lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Third weekend should be cooked since Rogue One will only be up or down 10% from this past weekend. As far as I am concerned it has as great a chance at 60m as it does 70m based on previous years performance. However, as noted by its day to day right now it is charting it's own thing so we shall see. 

Yeah, I thought about mentioning Avatar in 2nd place for both cases as well (68.5 / 96.9), but thought that it might push things a bit too far at this point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MattW said:

On the other hand, Disney generally doesn't like to overpredict so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

(They also just could be off :ph34r:)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One might make the same amount overseas despite a 300m or so difference in domestic grosses. 

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

That really speaks to the Harry Potter brand overseas. It's still very strong.

1 hour ago, Noiret Jak said:

Great for Fantastic Beasts ! <3 <3

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

@Noctis FB averaging ~1m/day for next 7 days for ~223 by 2nd Jan seems likely. Should easily cross 225. Hopefully touches 230 final dom.

22 minutes ago, Noctis said:

$528.8m OS for FB! <3

Great number. 

20 minutes ago, narniadis said:

It's a shame stateside hasn't help up quite as well as it looked like cause 800m was there for the taking. 

18 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Unfortunately, but its legs have been great. It's gonna have a 3x multiplier which is more than ANYONE thought it could do after its opening. 

I am just really, really happy with Fantastic Beasts performance overall after that kinda rough OW. It absolutely deserves big numbers and I'm happy to see that OS specially can see that J. K. Rowling hasn't lost her magical touch!

WOM in general has been great, specially among Potter fans of course. I truly see $1 billion potential for the next movie if they nail Dumbledore's introduction.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Will R1 hit $1B WW?

Looks doubtful, eh? 

Don't see why it would be doubtful at this point. It's easily going to pass 500m domestically, meaning it doesn't even need 500m internationally to make 1 billion worldwide. It's really odd that some people seem to forget that christmas fell on a weekend this year. Christmas puts many of the biggest international markets to almost a complete stop. The 24th gets cut short and the 25th is either not back on course yet or not even having any showings at all. Of course will the weekend fall bigtime if the two most important days of it are pretty much not adding anything of worth. The next few days will be the very opposite of that. You basically predict Rogue One's further run on what amounts to probably the two worst days of the year, while completely ignoring that the next week is full of the strongest days of the year.

Just an example: last year TFA had its second weekend reduced due to Thursday and Friday being the 24th and 25th (Germany counts Thursday towards the weekend), leading to "just" 1.15 million admissions over the four days. It followed that up with 1.27 million from Monday to Wednesday, setting a new record in the process, before adding a 850k or so third weekend, which was againa bit weaker due to new years eve / day. Rogue One is obviously not TFA, but you can't just take numbers that are artificially lowered to due christmas and go from there, you have to take into account that the following days are very much the opposite from that.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 9

'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' and 'Sing' are among the Christmas titles helping to make the projected $11.3 billion milestone possible.

The North American box office is enjoying another record year.

Revenue for 2016 crossed an estimated $11.05 billion Monday and is on the verge of eclipsing the record $11.14 billion set in 2015 to end the year with $11.3 billion, according to projections from industry leader comScore.

Through Monday, revenue is up 2.3 percent over the same time period last year.

Hollywood is no doubt relieved that it can boast another record, even if 2016 was a wild ride as the gap between the have and the have nots widened.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/2016-box-office-record-year-crosses-11-billion-959300

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I am just really, really happy with Fantastic Beasts performance overall after that kinda rough OW. It absolutely deserves big numbers and I'm happy to see that OS specially can see that J. K. Rowling hasn't lost her magical touch!

WOM in general has been great, specially among Potter fans of course. I truly see $1 billion potential for the next movie if they nail Dumbledore's introduction.

It'll be very interesting to watch the next Beasts for sure. The question is whether it plays like a breakout sequel to a leggy and well-liked original, or whether it plays like the Harry Potter franchise where it peaks with the first film and then averages over/under $200m domestic/$700m worldwide. Such a scenario would still put it in the upper tier of franchises, though, and if Warner Bros. can actually market the next one (and sell the hell out of Dumbledore), $300m+ domestic and/or $1b+ worldwide are definitely achievable milestones.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Pretty much, haven't seen the film yet, but I don't get all the drama about the twist, 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Lol, you really can't see the issue with robbing someone of their future? At any rate, I think Fishbourne's character definitely says it best: a drowning man wants to drag anyone he can with him. Not saying it was right, but I agree about it being realistic for what most would do. None of us have ever spent over a year in total isolation I'd imagine. But that whole plot point was nowhere near as interesting as the movie tried to make it anyways. 

3 hours ago, trifle said:

The critic mob reaction to that 'problematic' twist legitimately makes me wonder how they ever made

Hide contents

Beauty and the Beast and even (shudders) let children see it!  And they're even doing a remake!!

Hear, hear! That's a really great point. Oh, I'm sure that there will be "save the children" pearl clutchers on social media when they realize that - gasp -

Belle falls in love with the man who threatened to kill her father and held her captive!

But those stories are as old as mankind and will never go out of fashion. Pearl clutchers will have to deal with it. 

I'm rooting for Passengers rebound because of the twist. Also, watched Silver Lining Playbook last night. JLaw is a great actress and deserved that win. 

Edited by Valonqar