baumer

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard2) R1 18.5, Sing 16

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Compare the 26th to the 19th to the 12th.  

Unfair because that's a federal holiday?  Fine.  Compare the Tue and Wed numbers for those three weeks as well.  It increased BOTH weeks on those respective days of the week!

THAT'S holiday legs in action (esp with Sing as nearly direct competition)

A lot more than just Holiday legs though, WOM is incredible. Not every movie can do something like that, hence why Moana is the only one doing it. 

28 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I seem to recall some people before Rogue One opened saying that TFA was an outlier, that big openers will drop almost normally during the holidays because that's how big movies function...

Well, here's how Rogue One compares to similar openers during its 2nd week

DAY  MV5BMjEwMzMxODIzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzg3
Rogue One
 MV5BMTMxNTMwODM0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODAy
The Dark Knight
MV5BMTAyMjQ3OTAxMzNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDU0
Catching Fire
MV5BMjA4NDg3NzYxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTgy
The Hunger Games
Mon $32,085,637
+24.1% / +82.3%
$318,119,079 / 11
$10,518,116
-55.5% / -57.1%
$324,299,793 / 11
$3,402,550
-76.1% / -72.4%
$299,698,207 / 11
$4,522,495
-70.2% / -58.2%
$253,006,396 / 11
Tue $22,515,612
-29.8% / +28.1%
$340,634,691 / 12
$9,629,366
-8.4% / -53.9%
$333,929,159 / 12
$4,009,955
+17.9% / -74.9%
$303,708,162 / 12
$5,324,246
+17.7% / -48.5%
$258,330,642 / 12
Wed $18,021,482
-20% / +20.4%
$358,656,173 / 13
$8,755,141
-9.1% / -52.4%
$342,684,300 / 13
$3,017,817
-24.7% / -85.5%
$306,725,979 / 13
$4,608,765
-13.4% / -42.8%
$262,939,407 / 13
Thu - $8,402,546
-4% / -49%
$351,086,846 / 14
$2,938,977
-2.6% / -80.3%
$309,664,956 / 14
$6,399,758
+38.9% / -21.7%
$269,339,165 / 14

(Thu will be close to $18M as well)

I mean...

Jesus, the numbers aren't even close. :rofl:

So, can we please finally assess, for real and for good, that no matter the size of a movie's opening, holiday legs WILL kick in, pretty please? 

I've had this argument with I don't know how many users before Rogue One opened (who mysteriously disappeared since then), and I would like it if that would become common knowledge from now on. 

:redcapes: 

Who was arguing the holds this week would be poor though? I definitely wasn't. I just thought the numbers would be lower going into this past weekend. Hence why after the first Monday # I said sub 450 was pretty much dead. It's last week it did much better than I expected in terms of holds, not this week. 

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Who was arguing the holds this week would be poor though? I definitely wasn't. I just thought the numbers would be lower going into this past weekend. Hence why after the first Monday # I said sub 450 was pretty much dead. It's last week it did much better than I expected in terms of holds, not this week. 

I don't know, some other folks. Forgot their names.

No one outright said the holds would be poor, but I remember people saying the holiday legs were overrated or something, and that they wouldn't apply to a big opener that wasn't TFA, when clearly it's not the case.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

@Daxtreme

I had the same argument on a Star Wars forum recently. Actually, if one goes into the trouble of looking at historical precedent apropos the month of December then a very clear picture emerges. Opening weekends get compromised, while legs benefit immensely during the holiday days. It's as simple as that. People have difficulty in accepting this since they are too used with the summer-type behavior of blockbusters. Well, December releases are quite simply a very different animal.

I have also been telling this to people: If TFA opened in the summer, its opening weekend would have been even bigger, possibly over $300M, but its legs would be somewhat shorter. The same of course would apply to Rogue One, or any of the The Lord of the Rings movies, Avatar or even Titanic.  

I think Titanic is in another legue, if would showed in summer, spring or autmm, i think it´d had the same run, remember it was 15 !!! weeks number one and its highest day it was the 58th!!!, something that i think won´t happen again...

Edited by setna
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Below TA. In fact it's well below.

BOM admissions chart does not properly account for 3D or child discounts. Films like Shrek 2 or The Lion King are underestimated compared to live action films. Meanwhile 2D movies like SM1 or TDK are underestimated compared to 3D movies like JW or TA1.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, druv10 said:

TDK run is still amazing and when factored in it was in 2D only, it's even more amazing. Right up there with TA1 & SM1 with 72M+ admissions, just below Avatar and SW7. 

TDK did play in the few original flavor IMAX screens available in 2008. I saw it in one of them and it was glorious apart from the screen size changes that occurred whenever an IMAX filmed scene started and ended.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

BOM admissions chart does not properly account for 3D or child discounts. Films like Shrek 2 or The Lion King are underestimated compared to live action films. Meanwhile 2D movies like SM1 or TDK are underestimated compared to 3D movies like JW or TA1.

Deadman's chest should be thrown in there somewhere too. It's often forgotten due to a mixed reception.

• Like 2

Just now, LonePirate said:

TDK did play in the few original flavor IMAX screens available in 2008. I saw it in one of them and it was glorious apart from the screen size changes that occurred whenever an IMAX filmed scene started and ended.

It had an amazing run in IMAX. Opened to $6.3m on 94 screens and finished around $50m. That was in the days when WB was pretty much the only studio releasing their tentpole films in IMAX, so TDK played on those screens for around 6 months I would guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Yeah, it made 50M in IMAX. I factored that in my calculations. 

SW7

Shrek 2/Avatar

TDK/TA1/SM1

DMC/JW

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Yeah, TPM's around 84-85M and Titanic with it's 125M+.

Jurassic Park similar to TPM and I think Forrest Gump is in the upper 70m area. Do we think TFA even made it to 100m? I would guess it's north of 95m but the BOM estimate at 108m is way off (same goes for JW). Spizzer at one point had all the math figured out. Both of those movies made an insane amount of money from 3D, IMAX, PLF and played in those formats for a long time.

Edited by redfirebird2008

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Jurassic Park similar to TPM and I think Forrest Gump is in the upper 70m area. Do we think TFA even made it to 100m? I would guess it's north of 95m but the BOM estimate at 108m is way off (same goes for JW). Spizzer at one point had all the math figured out. Both of those movies made an insane amount of money from 3D, IMAX, PLF and played in those formats for a long time.

Highly unlikely SW7 hit 100M, my guess is 93/94M. It's premium screen money was substantially high, almost to Avatar levels.

• Like 1

Just now, druv10 said:

Highly unlikely SW7 hit 100M, my guess is 93/94M. It's premium screen money was substantially high, almost to Avatar levels.

Part of it was the movie made so damn much in short period of time. It didn't have great late legs where it would have been playing on smaller screens at lower ticket prices. After 17 days it had almost matched Avatar's total. Insanity. :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

I don't know, some other folks. Forgot their names.

No one outright said the holds would be poor, but I remember people saying the holiday legs were overrated or something, and that they wouldn't apply to a big opener that wasn't TFA, when clearly it's not the case.

I've found one! Can you guess which user it was?

On 14/12/2016 at 8:38 PM, IronJimbo said:

400m DOM here @Christmas Baumer , put me in the OP for my share of glory thanks.

I find with sequels the quality of the prior film seriously effects the money made of the second. People went to watch TFA from all the hype and I truly believe only SW fans left excited, the rest just thought "that was alright". This film won't have legs and I don't care that it's December.

150OW 250 after that. We are going to see AoU tier legs.

Another one here from Baumer:

On 30/11/2016 at 3:00 AM, Christmas Baumer said:

IMO, you can't expect a film that opens to 130-150 million to have massive legs.  A 3X would be huge.  Obviously it could have stronger legs, if you go by TFA, but I think that's such an anomaly that it's not applicable in this situation.

Edited by m3racer123
  • Like 4