terrestrial

Tuesday 10 January - HF 2.877 | SW R1 2.532 | LLL 2.37 | Sing 1.678 | Underw. 1.561 | Pass.1.231 | Why Him .993 | Fences .749 | Moana .688 | Ass.Creed .585

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Interesting thing to me is the local Regal has not adapted to the market. They still charge full price $10 on Tuesday, meanwhile the newer theater is charging $5.40 on Discount Tuesday. It is run by a much smaller company and serves alcohol plus full menu of food while Regal has the basic popcorn, candy, soda.

So Regal doesn't have a good reason to keep charging full price on Tuesday. They are getting their ass kicked in attendance and concessions in general since the newer theater has better amenities. One would think they would try to be more competitive on the ticket price.

That's not "Regal," that's your local theater, though. I live in Portland, which is an almost 100% Regal market because (for those theater nerds) Regal bought ACT III theaters, at the time the 11th largest theater company in North America and also started in Portland (my dad knew the owner, he cashed in at the right time -- before "an entire industry goes bankrupt," as the Variety headline read, and the industry was massively consolidated). Every Regal Cinema in Portland has discount Tuesday EXCEPT for the prime downtown location, probably because of expensive leasing and whatnot. It was a real bummer for us because we moved from Beaverton (where Nike is based) to Downtown Portland so that became our theater, but we had made a tradition of going to movies on Tuesday. It was really fun, and a great money savings. I was in money savings mode waiting for some investments to pay out so I was watching every dollar, but going to see a movie every Tuesday was still just $10 between my GF and I then. We skipped any concessions except maybe a Coke using our loyalty points every once in a while so still free. Then got some investment cash, bought a nice condo downtown with heavy expenses, and then also hit with no freakin' discount Tuesday!! I was pissed ha ha.

Now we live back in Beaverton, a nicer area of it right near Nike, and every local theater has discount Tuesday, which is funny because we live now in probably the only part of the Portland Metro area with so much theater competition. We have a Cinetopia as our closest theater, they do "Tight Wad Tuesdays," we have a Century as our second-closest theater, and then third and fourth (where I go for Rogue One) are both Regal Cinemas (one of them the same that I used to go to back for Discount Tuesdays and growing up 15-20 years ago). So trust me Regal does it, and they care about it, but each local theater can make their own decisions or at least corporate makes decisions on whether that location can offer it or not. It's not 100% of Regal Cinemas.

Where do you live or where is the one you're talking about? Is it also in a busy metro area perhaps? Or are you in a fairly expensive city? Portland is expensive, so I'm surprised in a way that so many do $5 Tuesdays or $5.50 Tuesdays, anyway.

Nice bumps all around, happy to see Rogue One had a larger bump than TFA, though I would expect that it will also have a larger Wednesday fall. Did anyone else notice that it seemed last year like TFA had abnormal Tuesday bumps? I mean early on it was explainable as there being so much demand, Tuesday would actually hurt the revenue, but I swear it seemed like the whole time TFA didn't get much above a 20% bump, when a lot of movies do get these 40%+ bumps. Wonder why that was?

Great Tuesday - La La Land will be well over 70M by the end of the long weekend. It will be interesting to see how far it ends up ahead (or behind but doubtful) of Silver Linings Playbook in total gross.

Would be interesting to see if it can actually crack the 150m barrier that Musicals haven't been able to reach since Chicago in '02/'03 (note Mamma Mia and Les Mis came damn close.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Where do you live or where is the one you're talking about? Is it also in a busy metro area perhaps? Or are you in a fairly expensive city? Portland is expensive, so I'm surprised in a way that so many do $5 Tuesdays or $5.50 Tuesdays, anyway.

It's Midland, Texas. Cost of living fluctuates heavily with the oil price. Housing gets out of control during the booms and then if you're a renter, you catch a nice break during the busts. My rent dropped from $1000 to $700 in the most recent oil bust. The Regal location is about as good as you can ask for with a movie theater. It's on our main "loop" highway within 30 seconds driving distance of places like Wal-Mart, Target, Chik-Fil-A, Carino's, and a bunch of other restaurants. There are a lot of houses and apartments within very short driving distance as well. My apartment is on the Loop as well, so I just do a U-Turn and I'm at the theater within a minute.

Business at this Regal theater has significantly slowed down since the Cinergy opened in late 2013. The Regal when it was part of the Hollywood chain was the only game in town and was always packed. Now it's pretty much a ghost town. I don't mind because moviegoers are getting worse and worse as time goes by. The more empty an auditorium is while I watch a movie, the happier I am. But I do wonder if the theater can stay open over the long haul.

I really like their 2D offerings on the RPX screen. They charge $11.66 for a matinee 2D RPX ticket. Really not bad to have a guaranteed large screen with better sound. Most of the time you don't know if you are paying $10 for a good screen or a tiny one. Back when this chain was Hollywood, I paid $10 for Avengers in 2D on opening night and was pretty pissed when I walked in to find one of the smallest screens in the complex. Both of the largest screens had it in 3D only.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Great Tuesday - La La Land will be well over 70M by the end of the long weekend. It will be interesting to see how far it ends up ahead (or behind but doubtful) of Silver Linings Playbook in total gross.

Would be interesting to see if it can actually crack the 150m barrier that Musicals haven't been able to reach since Chicago in '02/'03 (note Mamma Mia and Les Mis came damn close.)

but will it make over 600 million like Mamma Mia did lol 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's Midland, Texas. Cost of living fluctuates heavily with the oil price. Housing gets out of control during the booms and then if you're a renter, you catch a nice break during the busts. My rent dropped from $1000 to $700 in the most recent oil bust. The Regal location is about as good as you can ask for with a movie theater. It's on our main "loop" highway within 30 seconds driving distance of places like Wal-Mart, Target, Chik-Fil-A, Carino's, and a bunch of other restaurants. There are a lot of houses and apartments within very short driving distance as well. My apartment is on the Loop as well, so I just do a U-Turn and I'm at the theater within a minute.

Business at this Regal theater has significantly slowed down since the Cinergy opened in late 2013. The Regal when it was part of the Hollywood chain was the only game in town and was always packed. Now it's pretty much a ghost town. I don't mind because moviegoers are getting worse and worse as time goes by. The more empty an auditorium is while I watch a movie, the happier I am. But I do wonder if the theater can stay open over the long haul.

I really like their 2D offerings on the RPX screen. They charge $11.66 for a matinee 2D RPX ticket. Really not bad to have a guaranteed large screen with better sound. Most of the time you don't know if you are paying $10 for a good screen or a tiny one. Back when this chain was Hollywood, I paid $10 for Avengers in 2D on opening night and was pretty pissed when I walked in to find one of the smallest screens in the complex. Both of the largest screens had it in 3D only.

Nice! I'm jealous by how close you are honestly. I moved into an area where nothing is THAT close, but nothing is too far, either. It's all like 9-15 minutes away, which I'm not bitching about, but it was awesome where I lived before because I was about 5 minutes from the theater. The other issue is I think both theaters closest to me suck. The one closest is marketed and promoted as a high end, luxury theater. It's the biggest joke in the world. I have never seen so much idiocy in my life, and everyone seems to fall for it. They have trapped a group of people who -- I don't believe -- have went to other movie theaters recently or have incredibly low standards. Cinetopia operates about 3 theaters around here, maybe 4, that are all "luxury" theaters because they serve alcohol and have a restaurant (Vinetopia) inside of them. I've been to 3 of these theaters, and every location had the most dilapidated seats I've ever seen including the local dollar theater. Most second run theaters would be ashamed of their seat quality. Not just broken arm rests and broken seat positions so it falls backwards when you get into it, but cut apart seats so that stuffing is sticking out, and we're not talking like 5 or 6 seats per auditorium. It's legitimately 30-40% of every seat, which means finding 2 in a row that are not fucked up is Mission: Impossible. My girlfriend and I moved 3 times last time we saw a movie at this theater just to find two "ok" seats and the arm rest between us was still broken, but that was as good as it got!

Cinetopia also has what sounds to my ears like a bad 2.0 sound system, with no sub. There is dialogue barely audible from some sort of center channel, there doesn't sound like there's any surround sound behind you or to your sides. Whatever exists is so faint it's not worth talking about. The screens are small, and on top of that the projector bulb for The Force Awakens in 3D was so dark I could barely tell Han Solo from Kylo Ren. I wish I was just exaggerating but I couldn't see anyone who wasn't in the foreground. It was like watching a movie with incredibly polarized sunglasses on in the dark theater. I've never seen a worse projection system than that one. I don't know how that theater full of people weren't complaining, unless they just think "that's how 3D is" or something. IMAX 3D sure doesn't look like that and I went to TFA 3 other times in regular RealD and it was darker than I am ok with but it wasn't that bad by any means. It was still visible just not preferable. 

One of my best friends goes to this theater only because they serve wine and he's a big alcohol snob, and they apparently have ONE single auditorium that's their "best" one with couches instead of seats and servers and whatnot, so that's the big attraction, I guess. 

I love the RPX screen that one of the nearby Regals has. It sounds amazing, it was definitely competitive with IMAX sound quality. Not quite that good, but it was very nice anyway. The screen is also fairly large but what weirds me out is they redid their prime auditorium to install this RPX screen a few years ago. That auditorium seated about 275 people, which is solid for the area (this isn't Los Angeles, every auditorium here is 150 to 300 at most), and when they redid it for RPX they made the seats way nicer and reduced the seating capacity to something like 75. It's the smallest seating I've ever seen for a theater in this area except maybe a mall auditorium where they play a 6-week old movie. I guess they figured at $16 per ticket they don't need to sell too many tickets to make a good amount. 

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

I can't remember the last time I didn't get popcorn at the theater. It's an American tradition!

I cut that tradition when I started paying for my own tickets and concessions.

Everytime I don't get concessions I just think it pays for two more movie tickets.  I'll usually sneak in a water bottle though (cause I'm not paying 3 dollars for water)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

Everytime I don't get concessions I just think it pays for two more movie tickets.  I'll usually sneak in a water bottle though (cause I'm not paying 3 dollars for water)

$3 for water? Try $4-6 for water here. Haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, La La Panda said:

$3 is cheap for water!  I think it's $4.50 at my local AMC. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Don't movie theaters make more from concessions than from movie tickets themselves? I kinda feel bad not getting a popcorn or something.

Pretty much. That's why it's so expensive. 

My local theater, an AMC, recently upped their prices on food and drinks. Of coarse, I get a discount for being a Stubs member but still. 

• Like 2

I never get popcorn, it's a total ripoff and I always feel really gross afterwards. Too greasy, incredibly unhealthy, I can feel my organs rotting from the inside :P My GF will sometimes get a small, and I'll eat literally two handfuls and that's that. As much as possible I try to discourage us getting anything there because it's such a ripoff. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

http://pro.boxoffice.com/4-day-weekend-forecast-patriots-day-monster-trucks-bye-bye-man-live-night-sleepless/

Lmao :lol:

"monster trucks" Pros: if we can think of any we'll get back to you"

$12.1M 4-day for La La Land? No Way.

It's already at $2.3M Tuesday. Even if it drops 30% today and stays at $1.7M tomorrow, it has a better chance of getting that prediction or more in 3 days. #ByeFelicia

No pros for Monster Trucks at all I can think of except Jane Levy (the co-star) is coming hot off of Don't Breathe but MT will still flop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

I never get popcorn, it's a total ripoff and I always feel really gross afterwards. Too greasy, incredibly unhealthy, I can feel my organs rotting from the inside :P My GF will sometimes get a small, and I'll eat literally two handfuls and that's that. As much as possible I try to discourage us getting anything there because it's such a ripoff. 

It totally is. Just sneak food in to be honest :P Personally from working there I do have a few pointers; if you ever do get popcorn NEVER get the free alternative. EVER. Like, seriously, I used to before I worked there and could never understand why I felt gross after, like you said, a few handfuls. Always get the real butter if that's an option, or just straight out of the popper no topping if possible. Also, theatres generally have tons of deals going on every week whether its a certain day of the week or a promotion for a certain film. The only problem is that 95% of customers don't know these deals exist. For example this week we have a promotion going on with monster trucks where if you buy two tickets it comes with a free kids popcorn/pop/candy with no surcharge on the ticket. The Tuesday deal is extremely popular, but hardly anybody knows about the Wednesday deal (2 tickets, 2 pops, large popcorn w/ refill and candy for $30 vs tickets for $22). It's basically the same as the tuesday deal as long you have two people. 

Basically, and I guess this goes for everywhere that yea concession is hella a rip off. But there's so many ways around it, just do your research. 

• Like 1