DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

I think in regards to romcoms, I suspect the decline is due to them being in the category as midbudget dramas, the marketing costs and low franchise potential as well as the lack of actors who want to do these films. They isn't the new Garry Marshall, Nora Ephron or Richard Curtis writing or directing these films either. For me, Bridget Jones's Baby OS success does show there is still hope for romcoms but studios need to take a punt.

• Like 2

I'll never understand the appeal of Love Actually. It's also not a romantic comedy because it's not funny. It's girly sappy sentimental crap. One of the most painful cringeworthy movies I've ever sat through. Good romantic comedy is a fun genre though!! 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah, been saying for months that silence would be too esoteric to catch on in anyway. i thought it would make something like 15-20 million total even if it had awards season buzz and it doesn't have any so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This. Silence totally depended on awards to generate any interest. With that gone, it's done. 

But, than, I never thought it was going to be an awards thing so if the studio banked on it they miscalculated badly.

Silver lining: Arrival benefited cause it became the studio's only hope. Fingers crossed Villeneuve makes it, movie and Amy are locked. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I'll never understand the appeal of Love Actually. It's also not a romantic comedy because it's not funny. It's girly sappy sentimental crap. One of the most painful cringeworthy movies I've ever sat through. Good romantic comedy is a fun genre though!! 

I don't mind Love Actually but it's not Richard Curtis' best film and it's far too long! Four Weddings and Notting Hill are really good and I do like About Time

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

About Time, isn't that ludicrous movie where Rachel McAdams & Margot Robbie fight for General Nux's love ?

:rofl:

about time is a very lovely film. I also love love actually as well

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

About Time, isn't that ludicrous movie where Rachel McAdams & Margot Robbie fight for General Nux's love ?

:rofl:

LOL, speaking of General Hux, what happened to Domhnall Gleeson? He was in everything in 2015 and then nothing in 2016. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

LOL, speaking of General Hux, what happened to Domhnall Gleeson? He was in everything in 2015 and then nothing in 2016. 

he's allowed some downtime i guess. just checked he's got six movies lined-up for this year so we won't escape him that easy.

Speaking of which, she s rarely the lead in her movies, but sometimes I watch a random trailer on youtube and oh ! :

here s Elle Fanning, AGAIN !!!

She does what, 5 movies a year ?

Crazy.

She has 55 IMDB credits, at 18 yo.

I think monster trucks might actually get good word of mouth cuz aside from like the 4 year olds laughing and watching videos on their ipads or sometshit like 50x throughout the movie my mom actually legitimately liked ti I[m confused and mpeople clapped after it was over what the fuck was that movie