DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

15 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

About Time, isn't that ludicrous movie where Rachel McAdams & Margot Robbie fight for General Nux's love ?

:rofl:

When the whole drama about the Passengers plot twist unfolded I saw some people try arguing, "Why weren't people criticizing About Time, it was just as problematic!" Because one was a big budget spectacle with JLaw/Pratt, while the other cost ten times less and starred Bill Weasley? I kid, I kid, not only was he in four movies in 2015 but they were all nominated for Oscars, it's all right if he let someone else have a turn.

Thrilled for Hidden Figures, already a success, I hope Best Picture happens but it's a bonus at this point.

Not thrilled for Sing heading for that never #1 record, now I have to stan for La La Land to really break out, but not too much on any given weekend, so Sing's reign will be short lived!

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

When the whole drama about the Passengers plot twist unfolded I saw some people try arguing, "Why weren't people criticizing About Time, it was just as problematic!" Because one was a big budget spectacle with JLaw/Pratt, while the other cost ten times less and starred Bill Weasley? I kid, I kid, not only was he in four movies in 2015 but they were all nominated for Oscars, it's all right if he let someone else have a turn.

Thrilled for Hidden Figures, already a success, I hope Best Picture happens but it's a bonus at this point.

Not thrilled for Sing heading for that never #1 record, now I have to stan for La La Land to really break out, but not too much on any given weekend, so Sing's reign will be short lived!

How was about time was just as problematic? 

17 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think monster trucks might actually get good word of mouth cuz aside from like the 4 year olds laughing and watching videos on their ipads or sometshit like 50x throughout the movie my mom actually legitimately liked ti I[m confused and mpeople clapped after it was over what the fuck was that movie

I would have broken their iPads if they did that near me

17 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

15 minutes ago, ban1o said:

How was about time was just as problematic? 

The worst part about Passengers wasn't that it was problematic or anything, it was just a really shitty movie.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL, speaking of General Hux, what happened to Domhnall Gleeson? He was in everything in 2015 and then nothing in 2016. 

He's in Sydney shooting a Peter Rabbit movie with Rose Byrne in Centennial Park. Daisy Ridley is voicing a character. 

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/rose-byrne-and-her-look-alike-body-double-hop-into-action-for-filming-of-peter-rabbit-in-centennial-park/news-story/46eeffcf9e1f1c68979ff1e42bae5646

Edited by DeeCee

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

15,000 for a free restricted 2D ticket. So one ticket to whatever 2-3 movies are on their way out the door :P

At Event Cinemas here you earn 100 points for standard 2D and redeem a standard 2D for any session for 600 points. VMAX (their large format with ATMOS) is 900 points and Gold Class is 1500 points. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

At Event Cinemas here you earn 100 points for standard 2D and redeem a standard 2D for any session for 600 points. VMAX (their large format with ATMOS) is 900 points and Gold Class is 1500 points. 

25 extra points if you book in advance. :ph34r:

Edited by AABATTERY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

This. Silence totally depended on awards to generate any interest. With that gone, it's done. 

But, than, I never thought it was going to be an awards thing so if the studio banked on it they miscalculated badly.

Silver lining: Arrival benefited cause it became the studio's only hope. Fingers crossed Villeneuve makes it, movie and Amy are locked. 

Well in the case of Silence, Paramount did sorta screw-up it's awards campaign since screeners were sent so late, which can partly be blamed on how long it took to edit the film in post-production.

33 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

What about criticizing Beauty and the Beast for the same reasons? I'm not saying they should, but that they would if they were consistent. 

15 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

The worst part about Passengers wasn't that it was problematic or anything, it was just a really shitty movie.

You are certainly entitled to have that opinion, but it's ranking has actually gone UP on imdb and the course of its run shows second weekends higher than first in several countries (including this one) indicating generally good word of mouth from those who have seen it.  Unfortunately, due to the reviews (in my opinion) not all that many saw it to begin with.  And the social media comments have overwhelmingly been positive, for whatever that is worth.  Personally, I loved it.  I wouldn't say it wasn't flawed, the ending seemed somewhat thrown together too quickly, and there were some of the tropes used that are used in many popular and well reviewed movies.  But I really enjoyed it, and it is absolutely beautiful to look at.

• Like 2

not sure where to post, but as it was partly discussed hotly in different threads:

We don’t normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address. We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa.

Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family. She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend. We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honor everything she gave to Star Wars.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/lucafilm-carrie-fisher-no-digital-princess-leia-1201886081/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

As I would imagine.  Cause seriously, dramatizing problematic situations isn't a bad thing.  In fact...if done well...it makes for compelling cinema.  That this movie didn't tackle it well is certainly worth criticism...not the basic idea on its own.