DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

34 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Amazingly enough despite taking place in one location basically it's far more exciting than boring crap like Manchester and Moonlight, which were "cinematic." It didn't help they both had terrible cinematography, though. You can have as many locations as you want but if you literally set the camera down and don't move it for 3 minutes while actors talk in the distant background, you still may as well be watching a fuckin' play.

One of 2016's best scenes was literally that:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

I've heard the flim isn't doing well as many of us thought.

This is why I asked the "Is it still gonna make a billion" question ,just was wondering if this flims was gonna be a 500domestic grosser and not make a billion.

Overseas however ,I would have put R1 at 700+.Barely or not crossing 500o.s really shocks me.

It's not just R1 underperforming OS, Moana and Sing will both barely get over $300M OS, when both Zootopia and Pets did over $550M OS, Passengers and Assassins Creed are doing decent but not good enough for their respective budgets. However at this point R1 is guaranteed for $1B.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

It's not just R1 underperforming OS, Moana and Sing will both barely get over $300M OS, when both Zootopia and Pets did over $550M OS, Passengers and Assassins Creed are doing decent but not good enough for their respective budgets. However at this point R1 is guaranteed for $1B.

Sing's underperformance OS is surprising, it's doing great in some places but poorly in others. Moana had poor marketing in many places like the UK hence poor OW but strong legs.

I saw Manchester by the Sea and I thought it was great film, I'm hoping it has success awards wise, I have a feeling Casey Affleck may pip Ryan Gosling at the Oscars assuming he's nominated. Amazon Studios is off to a great start with this, Paterson, Love and Friendship etc

2 hours ago, Brainiac5 said:

Is the flim still on track to cross a billion?

Of course. It'll be sitting just under $1B by the end of Monday. It was at roughly $940M going into Friday and will add about $16M domestic + $30-$35M overseas over the 4-day weekend for about $986M to $991M total.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I can't see either of those reaching 300M. As for why that is... difficult to say and I'm not about to try and figure it out. 

2 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

I can't see either of those reaching 300M. As for why that is... difficult to say and I'm not about to try and figure it out. 

Both of those were so promising domestically and overseas, coming after Zootopia and Pets respectively, I don't know but it feels pretty weird that animated films performance kind of stagnated by the end of the year, fatigue maybe?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Of course. It'll be sitting just under $1B by the end of Monday. It was at roughly $940M going into Friday and will add about $16M domestic + $30-$35M overseas over the 4-day weekend for about $986M to $991M total.

It's not making anywhere near $30-$35m overseas this weekend.

Last weekend it made $56.4m which included $30.6m in China, so $25.8m overseas weekend without China.

China this weekend looks good for $9m (or just over), and the trends in Rogue One's key overseas markets like Japan and Germany show around 40-55% drops.

Looks like it'll make just over $20m for the overseas 3-day weekend. 4-day is irrelevant since MLK Day is an American-only thing - it'll be just a normal weekday overseas. Probably looking at sub-$3m for Rogue One's next overseas Monday for <$25m over the 4-day period, if you really want to count it that way.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Both of those were so promising domestically and overseas, coming after Zootopia and Pets respectively, I don't know but it feels pretty weird that animated films performance kind of stagnated by the end of the year, fatigue maybe?

Always - look back through the past years and see what happens to animated films after a huge punch up for multiple 200m+ films there is about a 6-month to 1 year "reset" before films really do buffo business everywhere again. Product also plays a big part in that as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I think with so many animated films a year, fatigue is inevitable

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

yes, note 2010 to 2011 the last time we had a buffo animation year and the year of fatigue that came afterwards.

DWA learnt the hard way that multiple animated films in a year isn't a sustainable model. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hw64 said:

It's not making anywhere near $30-$35m overseas this weekend.

Last weekend it made $56.4m which included $30.6m in China, so $25.8m overseas weekend without China.

China this weekend looks good for $9m (or just over), and the trends in Rogue One's key overseas markets like Japan and Germany show around 40-55% drops.

Looks like it'll make just over $20m for the overseas 3-day weekend. 4-day is irrelevant since MLK Day is an American-only thing - it'll be just a normal weekday overseas. Probably looking at sub-$3m for Rogue One's next overseas Monday for <$25m over the 4-day period, if you really want to count it that way.

So where do you think the flim will end up?

A billion or just Shy? Although the flim is successful either way.

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

If anything, Moana and Sing are providing more of a rebuttal to that hypothesis after The Good Dinosaur bombed. They're not huge phenomenons but they're both still doing pretty well. 

The Good Dinosaur ended up being the fall guy for a lot of things - but ultimately at it's core it was a lackluster (but beautiful) production that didn't inspire anything beyond the pixar faithful and the kiddo dimension.

24 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think with so many animated films a year, fatigue is inevitable

You could also say recent poor exchange rates may have played a part in addition to their being too many animated films released a year. 

• Like 2