DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

How can we not comment on the performance of Hidden Figures, Patriots Day and La La Land without discussing that they've all leaked? 

Two of those movies are well on their to $100M+ and the other was a tough sell. Next.

• Like 11

there are almost definitely a lot of industry people who only watch movies on screeners and then go and lament that people don't go out to see "movies for grown-ups" any more. in fact i just heard john landis on a podcast recently spout this nonsense

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 10

Do you guys know in what thread you guys are?

Do you want to get suspended or thread banned?

Piracy talk and politics talk is not meant to exist in the Weekend Numbers thread.

• Like 4

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

there are almost definitely a lot of industry people who only watch movies on screeners and then go and lament that people don't go out to see "movies for grown-ups" any more. in fact i just heard john landis on a podcast recently spout this nonsense

Which podcast, btw?

Anyways, it's 15 years too late to complain about the decline in R-rated movies.

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/mpaa-rating/R-(US)

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Two of those movies are well on their to $100M+ and the other was a tough sell. Next.

So what are we saying then? That as La La Land is now at $75 million with the screener just leaking out today that its ok people who might have gone to see it can just download it? 

We'll never know how much it might have gone on to make now. This is its key few weeks as it continues to add theaters and is about to receive at least 10 Oscar nominations. 

I blame the screeners more than the people that download them. You can't steal what's not there. 

Anyone can throw the 'American Sniper' made hundreds of millions despite the screener' argument. Yet for the movies that are a harder sell to the mainstream audience, they're even less likely to see them if they're there to steal. 

Separate to that its an insult to those who pay to see them in theaters. Then go to work the next day to hear colleagues have watched it at home for nothing. 

The industry is creating this by putting them out there. 

Sure its one for the piracy thread. But it's relevant to the weekend box office general story now as they're all leaking the last couple of days. 

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Do you guys know in what thread you guys are?

Do you want to get suspended or thread banned?

Piracy talk and politics talk is not meant to exist in the Weekend Numbers thread.

Ok. Fair enough. Just read this. I'll stop. 

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Moderation:

Guys, please listen to the requests of CJohn and Spaghetti and multiple users and take the piracy talk to the piracy thread. It's an important topic but it's one that gets people heated, so it's going to derail the numbers thread. 

In my opinion you should be banning people who openly admit to pirating, it is illegal after all. 

People discussing criminal activity on your forums. 

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

In my opinion you should be banning people who openly admit to pirating, it is illegal after all. 

People discussing criminal activity on your forums. 

That is why you are not a moderator... 

• Like 2