Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

48 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I want to see it for the second time more than I want to see most of the awards season films for the first time.

That great huh?

I'm mostly lukewarm on Guadagnino's previous movies but this looks absolutely stunning from the trailers. Here it will prob get released sometime between nominations and oscar night as per usual for this kind of film.:whosad:

17 minutes ago, Joel M said:

That great huh?

I'm mostly lukewarm on Guadagnino's previous movies but this looks absolutely stunning from the trailers. Here it will prob get released sometime between nominations and oscar night as per usual for this kind of film.:whosad:

It's sublime. Just does everything right basically (I could live without the Sufjan songs). I didn't like his preceding two films either, but this is a major step up. Thing is, the directing style remains basically the same but here he's got the material to back it up, and it makes all the difference. It's just as sensual and visually beautiful as I Am Love and Bigger Splash but more relaxed and confident and less straining for effect. 

• Like 3

Moderation

This is the thread for Best Picture 2017 Predictions.  

It is not the thread to discuss your personal beliefs about homosexuality.

Please stay on topic or there will be threadbans until 5th March 2018.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

The omission of Three Billboards from the Indie Spirit Awards is a surprise, but not necessarily a deal-breaker as far as its Best Picture chances are concerned. It strikes me as the kind of film that is bound to place high on many ballots, and that's what carried Spotlight and Moonlight to victory in extremely tight races (which I'm guessing this year's Picture race will be).

Edited by Webslinger

24 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

The omission of Three Billboards from the Indie Spirit Awards is a surprise

May be main reason cause Spirit classifies "Three billboards..." like a British production's movie (Gotham also didn't gave the nomination and BFI counts definitely like British picture)?

Just speak my minds.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

1 minute ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

May be main reason cause Spirit classifies "Three billboards..." like a British production's movie (Gotham also didn't gave the nomination and BFI counts definitely like British picture)?

Just speak my minds.

if that were true it straight up wouldn't have been eligible for anything except international film but it did get best actress and supp. actor nods so no.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Yeah, the quality of the screener leaks can be a bit shaky sometimes

It does not take away from the fact the films were mediocre

However you raise an interesting point, compared to other kinds of films, there are a lot of people who watch oscar films illegal then legally most likely.

How many people actually watched Moonlight in theaters vs in total I wonder. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

14 hours ago, filmlover said:

We all know Dunkirk is the best of this year's Oscar contenders just because it's the one that made/will make the most of them all.

If Dunkirk really won for best picture, it is going to be the 1st best picture winner that passes $150m in box office since 2003's the lord of the ring finale

Does anyone else think Darkest Hour will disappoint?  With the new system and members, movies with lots of love seem to do better than the more generic Oscar bait.

The reviews seem to only praise Oldman, which will be good enough for a nomination and maybe a win from him, but I don't see the love for it in any other cat.

On 11/20/2017 at 10:30 PM, filmlover said:

It was also the follow-up to the then biggest film of all time (which also won a ton of top Oscars, including Best Picture). That alone always put Avatar in the Oscar race so no.

Before Titanic, Jurassic Park was the biggest film of all time, and it didn't get recognition at any of the important categories, and neither it's follow-up.