grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

Something that should be said - Black Adam's and DC's disadvantage is also its advantage.

DC doesn't have the "base" that Marvel has.  It doesn't have that investment from a huge base of uber-fans.

That said, a lot of people don't want investment - they just want a fun supers movie.

So, the GA friendliness of this movie will probably largely determine how this does.  DC doesn't have a high floor (see The Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey), but neither does it have a low ceiling.  DC movies really do go high or low based on quality that appeals to the GA...

And the GA doesn't really care about previous DC movies b/c everything is so stand alone.  So, they don't get a bump or punishment from the quality of previous films (which is too bad b/c The Batman was pretty darn good, and would have been great if it didn't overstay its welcome)...

11 hours ago, Jeight said:

If mom was divisive with a 75% on rt then I guess the bar for the mcu is far higher than the dceu.  I wonder why no one calls aquaman divisive despite having a 65% on rt and worse scores than mom everywhere. 

I was talking more about audience reception, I had the feeling fans were divided on the film, because it didn't deliver what they were expecting. I didn't mean to suggest a DC vs MCU comparison (I actually liked Multiverse of Madness a lot). I just feel like there wasn't an universally well liked family comic book movie since No Way Home (from Marvel or DC) and if Black Adam can deliver on that, maybe it would have a pretty good word of mouth. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I was talking more about audience reception, I had the feeling fans were divided on the film, because it didn't deliver what they were expecting. I didn't mean to suggest a DC vs MCU comparison (I actually liked Multiverse of Madness a lot). I just feel like there wasn't an universally well liked family comic book movie since No Way Home (from Marvel or DC) and if Black Adam can deliver on that, maybe it would have a pretty good word of mouth. 

Rock is very good at delivering 4th quadrant movies so if this has good characters, simple story, and big action, it will do fine. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, belblazer said:

A lot of people will see the movie tomorrow in Mexico. So be careful with spoilers on the internet and hopefully they don't show post credit scene

So, the movie is ready to be shown to the aduiences.
Then why didn't Warner move its release to Oct 7? :winomg:
Would have more breathing room till Wakanda Forever.

1 hour ago, Grebacio said:

So, the movie is ready to be shown to the aduiences.
Then why didn't Warner move its release to Oct 7? :winomg:
Would have more breathing room till Wakanda Forever.

Wakanda Forever release on Black Adam's FOURTH weekend.

If BA flops with an Oct 21 release date, it would've flopped with an Oct 7 release date too.

17 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Universally liked family movie is a very borad term 

Both batman and mom were well received objectively. Twitter's opinions on movies have become increasingly more irrelevant since everything is either a "banger" or "mid". Only 3 cbms have reached 90%+ on rt in the past 3 years. A xbm doesnt beed that rating to be well recr

I’m just hoping to enjoy the movie, I’m past the stage of worrying about box office anymore for DC movies cause they’re too unpredictable and honestly I have no idea what’s even happening anymore with the universe.

If they really do have some sort of plan and that includes some of these characters then I hope they stick to it regardless of the box office for this movie. You need people to buy in and if you keep changing things up that will never happen. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

I’m just hoping to enjoy the movie, I’m past the stage of worrying about box office anymore for DC movies cause they’re too unpredictable and honestly I have no idea what’s even happening anymore with the universe.

If they really do have some sort of plan and that includes some of these characters then I hope they stick to it regardless of the box office for this movie. You need people to buy in and if you keep changing things up that will never happen. 

I think they may have had some semblance of a plan under Walter Hamada (though whether or not it was a good plan is another story), but I seriously doubt Zaslav has one that goes beyond “milk recognizable characters and actors as much as possible.” 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I think they may have had some semblance of a plan under Walter Hamada (though whether or not it was a good plan is another story), but I seriously doubt Zaslav has one that goes beyond “milk recognizable characters and actors as much as possible.” 

I agree but I’m more just wondering if the plan was to really have the rock be a big bad going forward but if this doesn’t perform well then they’ll just change things up again.

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

I agree but I’m more just wondering if the plan was to really have the rock be a big bad going forward but if this doesn’t perform well then they’ll just change things up again.

Exactly.  So why worry?  All that matters is how good each individual movie is!  

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

What's wrong with the release date?

Sorry, didn’t want to respond in the tracking thread. I just think the other release dates it had before this were better and even though it has some time before WF releases I still feel like putting it this close to that is a bad idea. But, at this point it doesn’t matter, just hoping for the best. 

6 hours ago, Macleod said:

Exactly.  So why worry?  All that matters is how good each individual movie is!  

Not worried really, would just like to see them stick with a plan and let it play out. I know this isn’t the mcu but it would still be a good idea to not always be so reactionary. 

Every studio is reactionary, even Marvel...it's just that most don't let it show quite as much as the turmoil that Warner Bros. has been through the last few years, which has laid everything bare in the trades, etc.  

• Like 1