grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

Call me nuts, but I think this is the anti-WW84. WW84 has 71% from Top Critics, but it was brought down by non-Top Critics. 

It's hard to tell, but the Top Critics seems to be at about 30%. This is reflected in the metacritic score. On last count, these are about 40% of the reviews on RT. This means non-Top Critics are at about 63% at the moment.

Could end up 55-60%, which is fine for it.

Zaslav said he'd only allow quality in theaters. That's why Batgirl was canned, so explain this "quality" Zaslav?

I hope this movie bombs so that shareholders start looking at Zaslav as something holding the company back because his headlines have done nothing but tank the stock of WB.

Hoping a movie that you haven't seen bombs to send a message about the quality of that film to a man who isn't responsible for making it is a very interesting approach / a slight overreaction given that the difference between a "fresh" and this RT Score at 50 reviews is 5 reviews.

Edited by TheScarecrow
  • Like 2

This is definitely becoming Venom 2.0 lol. Not well-liked by critics, but is overall a perfectly watchable, if not particularly memorable, CBM that harkens back (or is simply a few decades too late?) to early 2000s pre-MCU comic book movies.

Sticking with a prediction of around 65/175.

35 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Zaslav said he'd only allow quality in theaters. That's why Batgirl was canned, so explain this "quality" Zaslav?

Having fun knocking down that strawman, Cappodameron?

You'd have something of a point if this was in the teens or twenties over on RT.  But this?  No, not really.

Honestly the score could be worse so that’s a positive.

The rotten tomatoes score will fluctuate a lot though as there is still just 52 reviews.

The problem is usually with the first batch of reviews it tends to lean more positively. We’ll see what happens.

I do think this movie needed a strong start with reviews though to give it a bit of a bump.

Edited by exomassey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

DC movies make people lose their mind.

Given some of the comments here, one would think this was getting Morbius level reviews instead of, oh say, Venom level.

Quite likely it sinks to the low 40s (or maybe even high 30s), but that's hardly a death sentence for this type of film.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Given some of the comments here, one would think this was getting Morbius level reviews instead of, oh say, Venom level.

Quite likely it sinks to the low 40s (or maybe even high 30s), but that's hardly a death sentence for this type of film.

will this film be the #1 movie on netflix though? didn't think so.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This always happens, I don’t know how anything surprises anyone anymore in these threads. 

Obviously this comment is not a shot at you lol, but  I can’t even build up the strength to care anymore about this stuff. I’ll just watch the movie Thursday and hopefully enjoy myself. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

This always happens, I don’t know how anything surprises anyone anymore in these threads. 

Oh, I know all too well about RT Watch Dog Piles.  Nearly a pastime on this board.  But I do feel on occasion the need to push back against it a tad before moving on to other subjects.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheScarecrow said:

Call me nuts, but I think this is the anti-WW84. WW84 has 71% from Top Critics, but it was brought down by non-Top Critics. 

It's hard to tell, but the Top Critics seems to be at about 30%. This is reflected in the metacritic score. On last count, these are about 40% of the reviews on RT. This means non-Top Critics are at about 63% at the moment.

Could end up 55-60%, which is fine for it.

Hoping a movie that you haven't seen bombs to send a message about the quality of that film to a man who isn't responsible for making it is a very interesting approach / a slight overreaction given that the difference between a "fresh" and this RT Score at 50 reviews is 5 reviews.

WW84 was treated with kid gloves because of the pandemic. If it came out today, the top critics percentage would be similar to BA

• Disbelief 1

21 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This is definitely becoming Venom 2.0 lol. Not well-liked by critics, but is overall a perfectly watchable, if not particularly memorable, CBM that harkens back (or is simply a few decades too late?) to early 2000s pre-MCU comic book movies.

Sticking with a prediction of around 65/175.

Venom's first 50 reviews had it at 32%.

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think it will end in the 50s. Top critics are savaging it, but everyone else seems relatively unoffended.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Oh, I know all too well about RT Watch Dog Piles.  Nearly a pastime on this board.  But I do feel on occasion the need to push back against it a tad before moving on to other subjects.

Certain people have been saying stuff for weeks/months leading up to this so it’s nice to see some push back, just for me at this point I prefer to just block people. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It'll be hilarious how everybody is acting it will be bomb central after these reviews when it will perform aggressively average. And I feel we all know this is the clear outcome

• Like 3