FilmBuff

Oscars Live Stream

Last year: zero films with racial diversity. Zero actors, actresses or directors were black.

This year:

4 out of 9 films dealing with diversity (Moonlight, Lion, Fences, Hidden Figures)

Each acting category with at least a non white nomination, totalling 7 nominations (Washington, Negga, Patel, Ali, Harris, Davis, Spencer)

Best director has African-American newcomer Barry Jenkins.

Best Editing: Joi McMillion, first African-American woman nominated in this category

6 minutes ago, stripe said:

Last year: zero films with racial diversity. Zero actors, actresses or directors were black.

This year:

4 out of 9 films dealing with diversity (Moonlight, Lion, Fences, Hidden Figures)

Each acting category with at least a non white nomination, totalling 7 nominations (Washington, Negga, Patel, Ali, Harris, Davis, Spencer)

Best director has African-American newcomer Barry Jenkins.

Best Editing: Joi McMillion, first African-American woman nominated in this category

Just shows how incredibly stupid #OscarsSoWhite campaign was.

• Like 2

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i really didn't like captain fantastic. viggo's awards run for some rando sundance indie that no one cared about when it came out in the summer is a true head scratcher. like who ran his campaign, max shreck?

Bleecker Street got lucky with that random Bryan Cranston nomination last year too so, hail Bleecker Street?

Just now, stripe said:

Of the movies nommed, which will be the most forgotten 5 years from now?

In 5 years, what are the snubs that we will remember the most?

I actually think this is a really strong lineup of movies this year. Hidden Figures is my least favorite of the 9 and I still gave it a strong B+.

• Like 1

Just now, stripe said:

Of the movies nommed, which will be the most forgotten 5 years from now?

In 5 years, what are the snubs that we will remember the most?

in a decade silence getting shafted this much will be seen as totally baffling. most forgotten film in the future? probably Lion. it won't win anything and will just be seen as another Harvey bait project.

• Like 3

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i really didn't like captain fantastic. viggo's awards run for some rando sundance indie that no one cared about when it came out in the summer is a true head scratcher. like who ran his campaign, max shreck?

I liked the film a lot and - more than several of the other Oscar shoe ins from this year - and his performance is very worthy.

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

He's actually a better singer than her, all those years on the Mickey Mouse club - but this thin wan wispy music isn't in his wheel house. 

Maybe he and fellow former Mouseketeer Justin Timberlake could do a medley of all the nominees.

Really, just watch them make JT perform all of the nominees like when they brought Beyoncé to be the diva of the Oscars and sing half the nominees 12 years ago.

This is actually one of the better lineups in recent years, I think. I'd rank the Best Picture nominees:

1. La La Land (A)

2. Manchester by the Sea (A)

3. Arrival (A)

4. Moonlight (A)

5. Hell or High Water (A-)

6. Fences (A-)

7. Hacksaw Ridge (A-)

8. Lion (A-)

9. Hidden Figures (B+)

The 2010 lineup is probably my favorite so far this decade, though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Dude should've won for Eastern Promises. I know that opinion is in the minority given his competition that year.