FilmBuff

Oscars Live Stream

I thought Jason Mitchell and Michael B. Jordan, not to mention Isaac and Del Toro, are all better than any of the noms in their particular categories except for maybe Ali. Yea, I thought Jordan was better than Affleck/Denzel, and I loved those two performances. Jordan in Creed was just the kind of insanely charismatic, lived-in movie star role that is generational in a different kind of way. 

• Like 2

will see hacksaw ridge when it comes out here on friday but for now

actor:

1. casey

2. denzel

3. gosling

4. viggo

actress:

1. portman

2. huppert

3. negga

4. stone

5. meryl

supp. actor

1. ali

2. shannon

3. bridges

4. hedges

5. patel

supp. actress:

1. davis

2. kidman

3. spencer

4. williams

5. harris

Shame Portman isn't really a front runner any more. could've been that the winners go 4/4 with my favourites. i don't think that's... ever happened before.

Arrival with Amy Adams digitally removed would be an interesting film.

Apart from the Amy Adams snub I'm fine with these nominations.

Good to see 2 Aussie films with 6 nominations each including best picture.

Great to see the Nocturnal Animals didn't get anything apart from Shannon.

Edited by DeeCee

1 hour ago, department store basement said:

Boo to my profile picture not being nominated but otherwise it is mostly as expected.

Suicide Squad joins the ranks of Norbit, The Wolfman, and Bad Grandpa as critically derided films with only a nomination for makeup.

Bad Grandpa got good reviews tho.

Nominee reactions:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/2017-oscar-nominations-reactions-967941/item/2017-oscar-nom-reaction-lucas-hedges-968012

Lucas Hedges is by far the best one. Also, Michael Shannon's makes me secretly wish that he would win. Pretty obvious he would make an expletive-laced anti-Trump speech that would make all of the headlines the next day instead of La La Land's dominance.

All of the nominees that I have seen were in my top 14 for the year.  No complaints about them from me.

5 were in my top 10.  And my favorite of the year is the frontrunner.  No complaints from me.

Edited by La La Panda

From another thread:

Wow one of the nominees for Deepwater has the record for the most nominations without a win in the category of sound editing. Can he finally win it?

And La La Land is the first live action musical to be nominated for sound editing.

BTW this is only the 2nd year since 2007 where I have seen none of the nominees at the time of the announcement. (2014 was the other one-I forgot American Sniper came out after the nominations)

The only ones I'm somewhat interested in are Hacksaw and Hell over High Water.

On 1/24/2017 at 6:39 AM, filmlover said:

By the way, Michael Shannon has now gotten two nominations with almost zero support. Same thing happened with Revolutionary Road 8 years ago. The power of God Shannon compels the Academy!

Image result for gif michael shannon

Aaand when the awards groups were united in their support of 99 Homes he was snubbed for the Oscar.

Does that mean Michael Shannon HAS to get almost nothing else to get an Oscar nom?

Edited by department store basement
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, department store basement said:

Aaand when the awards groups were united in their support of 99 Homes he was subbed for the Oscar.

Does that mean Michael Shannon HAS to get almost nothing else to get an Oscar nom?

My guess...   When ATJ was nominated and won a GG -  Academy voters then watched the movie and gave their vote to Shannon. B)

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

My guess...   When ATJ was nominated and won a GG -  Academy voters then watched the movie and gave their vote to Shannon. B)

Poor Aaron, first GG Supporting Actor winner in 40 years to miss an Oscar nom. Then again, he probably has too many mediocre performances he needs to atone for before that ever became a reality.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

ATJ is still going to have a bigger career than the Oscar winner in the supporting category until the next line of bland 20-something white males comes along and force him to retreat to small parts or, more likely, television.

I agree.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I agree.

Maybe, but I hope not because it wouldn't be because he's a better actor than Mahershala Ali.  (who killed it last year in Luke Cage (duh), Moonlight and even in a small role in Hidden Figures - oh and House Of Cards).  I hope this year for him finally results in lead roles in quality projects.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Maybe, but I hope not because it wouldn't be because he's a better actor than Mahershala Ali.  (who killed it last year in DareDevil, Moonlight and even in a small role in Hidden Figures)

Of course. But I'm still gonna let him stand there in his wrongness and enjoy his being wrong, as usual, lol.

• Like 2