FilmBuff

Oscars Live Stream

-La La Land overperformed big time. It didn't have to be nommed in both sound categories or both production design-costumes since it's contemporary, but it did. Moonlight also did great, better than Manchester, so I guess it's officially number 2.

I have to say I'm surprised that the worst nomination is not Mel Gibson (loved Hacksaw Ridge but him as a person...), but Suicide Squad being an Oscar-nominated film. To quote Cate Blanchett back when she presented the same category it's up for a few years ago, that's gross.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any nominated movies save Arrival and have no desire to see them ever in my life. Also, don't know who the hell over half of nominees are (cause they are in movies I don't care about). Pass. I checked out the list to see if Deadpool was going to make a surprise appearance and piss off Silence fans. Since that's a no, bye Oscars. 

Edited by Valonqar

What the fuck at Amy Adams getting snubbed? That's ridiculous. She was the best actress of 2016 with her performances in Arrival and Nocturnal Animals. That's annoying and should have gotten in over Meryl Streep. 

Also...why did Jackie or even Passengers get nominated over Beasts in Best Original Score? I like the score of Passengers, but out of all the blockbusters this year, Beasts had the best one by far. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, misafeco said:

Just shows how incredibly stupid #OscarsSoWhite campaign was.

Wait, what? Doesn't that show that the campaign had fruitful gains and now deserving performers are being rewarded? 

Also, I love the BP lineup, predictable as it is. Arrival is in my top 16 of the year, and that's probably my least favorite of the Best Picture noms.  Excellent lineup. 

• Like 2

Sorry but I cant with the Meryl was a "lock," crap. Why was she a lock? Her performance was sub-par given the rest of the potential nominees. No, Ruth Negga didn't kick Amy out, because Ruth actually deserved to be there just like Amy should have been. Taraji could have been nominated as well. The fact that Meryl is continually nominated just because, isn't okay. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Ruth Nega. OscarsSoWhite. they had to fill the quota in that category.That's the future of Oscars from now on. Quotas. 

Sorry but no. Ruth is very deserving of her nomination. I love Meryl, but her performance was not better than Amy or Ruth's. She got nominated simply because her name is "Meryl Streep." 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I haven't seen any nominated movies save Arrival and have no desire to see them ever in my life. Also, don't know who the hell over half of nominees are (cause they are in movies I don't care about). Pass. I checked out the list to see if Deadpool was going to make a surprise appearance and piss off Silence fans. Since that's a no, bye Oscars. 

Well, you're the one missing out. Keep on with your silly crusade against "pretentious" movies. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wait, what? Doesn't that show that the campaign had fruitful gains and now deserving performers are being rewarded? 

Also, I love the BP lineup, predictable as it is. Arrival is in my top 16 of the year, and that's probably my least favorite of the Best Picture noms.  Excellent lineup. 

It shows that the last 2 years were the exception, not the rule. It's possible that there are no black nominees in a year and there are a couple one year later. The Academy is not racist.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Ruth Nega. OscarsSoWhite. they had to fill the quota in that category.That's the future of Oscars from now on. Quotas. 

Hell, I'd complain more about Meryl. I haven't seen Loving, but it seems like Ruth's nomination was well-deserved. Meryl's nominated only because she's Meryl, and that angers me because it's not about her performance, which wasn't that good, it's about her name and her image.

• Like 2