Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: Split: $26.2m (Amazing drop!!!) | ADP: $18.3m | RE: $13.8m | HF: $14m | Gold $3.4m

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

15-20m opening and 35-40m total for Resident Evil would be a win considering its low budget and its OS focus.

Agree, I'm really curious for OS numbers, considering that it is going to be the biggest movie of the franchise (?) in LC in Japan, it may pull at least $160m OS for another $200m grosser, 5x it's budget. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

15-20m opening and 35-40m total for Resident Evil would be a win considering its low budget and its OS focus.

Definitely the end now though.

Even if they wanted to do more, they don't warrant the ~$30m US p&a cost.

The RE aren't brilliant movies, but they are fun to watch. There were several RE movies on TV last night and for the first time in a few years I watched the first one, it  holds up quite well and is actually better than I remember. It doesn't hurt that Milla is at her absolute hottest there (just edging out her look in The 5th Element).

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

La La Land coming for the #1 spot!

That would be so awesome, but unless both openers really under perform it looks unlikely, even with the additional 1300 theaters and Oscar bump. #3 looks like a good target though, but even that will depend on Split's drop (unless LLL really hits a moonshot).

XXX:RoXC had a slightly better preview number than RE6, that kind of surprises me. 

Granted none of the 3 franchise players in January were ever going to break out but I thought with the stated ending for RE that it's Preview #s might garner more butts in seats.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Does anyone know how wide The Comedian is supposed to open next weekend? It's opening around me at a handful of theaters.

I won't be surprised if it gets 1,500+ just because so many movies need to be dumped.

55 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

That would be so awesome, but unless both openers really under perform it looks unlikely, even with the additional 1300 theaters and Oscar bump. #3 looks like a good target though, but even that will depend on Split's drop (unless LLL really hits a moonshot).

Do you expect La La Land to go over 15m? It will have to increase its already high PTA while adding 1300 theatres. Doesn't look possible to me.