YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

Just now, DAR said:

With the "disappointing" opening of LBM maybe it means audiences will reject crap like Boss Baby or the Emoji Movie.

Reveal hidden contents

My audience before LEGO Batman yesterday laughed their asses off at the Emoji Movie trailer so probably not.

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Dude, it's not in serious trouble. It's not the mega breakout many of us wanted it to be, but it's damn sure far from a flop either. Ninjago will be the question answerer as to wheater or not can the Lego franchise truly subside. Plus, we can look at WAG w/a bit of a cult mindset (a Laika-ish mindset if you will): bar Lego Movie, none of their films have set the BO on fire, but they've all been dope.

Lego Batman may wind up being 2017's Kung Fu Panda 3. No better comparision can be made, me thinks.

WAG are already doing better than SPA and at $80m budget, the film is going to be profitable for WB. I imagine they'll be happy with $40-50m OW for future films

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

WAG are already doing better than SPA and at $80m budget, the film is going to be profitable for WB. I imagine they'll be happy with $40-50m OW for future films

I know. When I said "their BO didn't set the world on fire", I was talking more like "their movies didn't play like a Pets or a Zootopia", per say. Lego Bats will be pretty profitable, and it'll probably wind up w/about 250-300M+ WW. DOM alone, it'll do more than poor Storks WW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I know. When I said "their BO didn't set the world on fire", I was talking more like "their movies didn't play like a Pets or a Zootopia", per say. Lego Bats will be pretty profitable, and it'll probably wind up w/about 250-300M+ WW. DOM alone, it'll do more than poor Storks WW.

WAG isn't at that level yet, both WDAS and Illumination took time to get that level 

i think Lego Batman will do over $400m WW, the OS of the first Lego Movie was $211m and I imagine it'll do more 

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Youre being smart. 

I mean films like Xxx3, Warcraft etc making big money there. 

twilight sega also make big money 

is that change anything?Zootopia hit 235M In China.Xxx can gross 130M on the roof.

terrible taste?You are funny

Edited by bangbingchan

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

I'm really shocked about Lego Batman, what happened? Apparently the movie is great and Batman is quite a popular character so...?

The problem is that the movie isnt great. Its good, and argually very good, but its not great.  As others have noted, Chris Pratt as Emmett was a better lead than Arnett as Batman. Id add that I thought the pacing was off in a few places (especially the beginning) and I thought part of what elevated the first one to great was dual-plots between the Lego world and the real world. Both were poignaint.

Lego Batman was also clearly taking place in the same universe (city built over bottomless pit to the void, etc) but there was no cross-over. Which was fine, it didnt detract, but it was a situation the first one used to raise the stakes with parts of the audience (every dad got hit in the feels when Ferrell realizes his son has made him the bad guy in his story).

• Like 2

Seems unnecessary to attack China's 'taste' in film. Warcraft had a ton of pent up demand because it's a huge property there, it also didn't have good legs at all.

XXX prominently features a really popular domestic star.

Neither seem like a stretch to me as to why they did well nor does it seem illogical. On top of that the import cap puts a bit of a limit on the Hollywood films that Chinese audiences get exposed to and thus changes their viewing patterns compared to us.It's not the like the US is incapable of making what is perceived as a terrible film a giant success

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, zackzack said:

Let alone in February. Wait, Deadpool did it last year ($132M which is about the sum of 30, 45 & 55)

I realize other movies have done it combined, easily.  I'm just meaning it's pretty rare for three movies to have strong openings in one weekend.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like anyone not familiar with Batman's cinematic history isn't gonna take away much from LEGO Batman. Not at all surprised it's not connecting in the same way LEGO Movie did.

Spoiler

I still can't stop grinning over seeing dark blue WB studio logos (Nolan :D), on top of Will Arnett saying "DC...the house that Batman built." The former is just one of those little touches that an audience probably isn't gonna think about.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2