CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

4 out of the last 5 actually (only Birdman won both).

Indeed, you are entirely right. It is even more incredible to think that it has occurred four out of the last five years. I only mention "in the last 8 years", since it was that long ago that the Academy switched to the ranked ballot for Best Picture winners. The theory is that this new voting system is what encourages more splits. The best director winner is simply the director who received the most votes, while the Best Picture winner is determined through a more complex ranked ballot system which is intended to reward the film with the most overall support from the Academy, so to speak. So, I do wonder if this makes a significant difference, and we will continue to see more splits than usual, historically speaking.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, franfar said:

So if I buy a Quantity of 2 for Gold Account, that's two months right?

@Telemachos @Water Bottle

No. Do not buy a quantity of 2 for Gold Account. If you already have, PM me, and we'll manually change the date for you. The system is dumb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Even in the most regimented awards ceremony in the world you can still have colossal fuck-ups, apparently. I'd hate to be the guy who handed out envelopes right now.

Anyway, haven't seen Moonlight or LLL but from everything I've heard the better movie won.

Hahahaha uhh then you heard wrong. Moonlight is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and by far the worst of 2016! La La Land was a very good film and certainly the best of the nominated movies at least though not in my top 5 of 2016. Most Oscar movies aren't. Moonlight sucked in every way a movie can suck. Boring as hell, pointless, and a pandering issues movie. 

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Only BP is preferential. All the other awards are just straight votes. 

I think preferential ballots have a lot to with this  surprise win. And they are the reason for the increased BP/BD split. 

Edited by ban1o

2 minutes ago, stripe said:

After that Oscars, how much can gross each of the nominees?

I think all the publicity might give La La Land a decent bump; maybe even bigger than if it had won Best Picture. Moonlight might be able to make a pretty penny if it gets a re-release.

The rest aren't gonna benefit IMO. The screw-up at the end has overshadowed everything else.