CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

But lying about your down-ballot choices makes absolutely no difference to your first choice, because they are only counted if your first choice has already been eliminated, as I've described.

You absolutely cannot help or harm your first choice by the order of your down-ballot choices. This isn't just my conjecture, it's a known property of run-off voting.

Oh you are right, until your movie does not loose your second choice is never counted anyway..... It can only work in the nomination phase process (and not against front runner)

In the nhl award voting is difference, because first place give X points, second place Y points, and so on, giving a big impact of not putting someone in your top 5.

• Like 1

Overall I thought this was a hugely entertaining Oscars show. Kimmel was a great, natural host. The jokes flowed and landed without being forced.

In the UK it's a commitment to stay up all night and watch the Oscars and I've done it every year since my teens. I've only seriously considered missing it twice; last year and this. As for a lot of people I know, the politics building up to the show both years was a huge turn off for me. However, I think Kimmel handled it well and kept it as an entertainment show.

Of the big awards, I was most pleased for Casey Affleck. I think it was an incredible, layered, complex performance that in lesser hands could have been an over abundance of histrionics. His was the best male performance by a mile. 

Damien Chazelle was another one I wanted to win. Also Lonergan for best screenplay.

I would have liked to see Huppert win simply because she's unlikely to have another chance and because I met her recently and liked her. But I'm fine with Emma winning. She looked like a Hollywood goddess of the golden era too which is also what the Oscars is about - out there glamour. I don't want movie stars to be 'relateable' and 'just like us'. I can watch documentaries for that! 

Kevin O'Connell winning on his 21st attempt and then the wonderful speech he gave was a real highlight of the show too.

LaLaLand should have won best picture, imo. I didn't dislike Moonlight, I just don't think it's best picture material. But the fiasco has ensured it will be remembered alongside LLL so it's kind of win/win for both.

• Like 1

Had La La Land actually won we would of never known about the envelope mix up is the funny thing.

Picture messed me up on the game this year, I always said nothing is a lock and it looks like I was right on that!

(I put Moonlight at number 4, at least I didn't put it at number 9!)

I did see Hacksaw and thought it was great.

I found the Oscars kind of meh this year, at least I had it on pause long enough that I skipped the boring cats (foreign, doc, short, sadly I missed the amusing makeup win)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Valonqar said:

This is an excellent observation. They seem to think that winning screenplay justifies Best Picture more than Best Director win. I disagree because good direction can improve on a clunky script (Jurassic park, really stupid script, really brilliant direction, classic movie) and bad direction can ruin a decent/good script. But whatever. It seems like BP winner can now only win script (2 wins total) or script and supporting (3 wins total). Does that have something to do with script-writer strike so they pander to them more now? Silver lining: in that case, Titanic/ROTK/Ben Hur record tying 11 wins will never be broken. :bop:

yaya, the record will be safe, and biggest winner of the night will always lost best picture

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:05 PM, Telemachos said:

There's a significant amount of backlash against him from a lot of lot of creative types I follow on Twitter. They don't doubt his talent, but they really don't appreciate his past issues (and lack of transparency or real contrition, or making amends such as is possible). I don't think he'll get blacklisted or anything, but he may have more trouble landing bigger parts than you might expect from a new Best Actor winner.

Does that matter though? He himself is directing his own follow up film which has already sold to overseas territories, he has Ben (who will produce and direct movies until he dies), Matt (who also produces movies), also most likely has Brad Pitt in his corner after working together several times, Joaquin and the whole Phoenix family, and his working relationship with indie darling David Lowery with their next film together co-starring Robert Redfort and Sissy Spacek. Even if everyone else in Hollywood hated him, he would have work from just his friends and family alone. lol. I doubt he was ever going to try to become an action leading man. He seems like he just wants to do his Sundance movies.

Granted, most Best Actor winners don't see a huge change in their career direction anyways. That's usually the actresses. Most of the actors just continue doing whatever they were doing before.

Edited by moviesRus
  • Like 1

Another thing which bothers me is the length of the speeches. 1 min should be the maximum in smaller categories and 1:30 min in the more importants. It's incredibly boring when someone talks for 5 minutes. Accept the award, thank anyone you think is important, maybe tell something personal about what the statue means to you and others and get off the stage. If you have more to say, there are many journalist who will gladly make an interview after the ceremony. After a while I just skipped the speeches. Which was funny because when I scrolled through the LLL BP speeches suddenly the Moonlight cast was on the podium. :lol:

37 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Does that matter though? He himself is directing his own follow up film which has already sold to overseas territories, he has Ben (who will produce and direct movies until he dies), Matt (who also produces movies), also most likely has Brad Pitt in his corner after working together several times, Joaquin and the whole Phoenix family, and his working relationship with indie darling David Lowery with their next film together co-starring Robert Redfort and Sissy Spacek. Even if everyone else in Hollywood hated him, he would have work from just his friends and family alone. lol. I doubt he was ever going to try to become an action leading man. He seems like he just wants to do his Sundance movies.

Granted, most Best Actor winners don't see a huge change in their career direction anyways. That's usually the actresses. Most of the actors just continue doing whatever they were doing before.

He actually doesn't give a damn , he is not the guy who wants to star in blockbusters or something , he is way more serious than Damon and his older brother to consider such films and frankly he is way too good to be ignored when it comes to movies with such heartfelt themes aimed at a narrow audience 

plus actors with worse reputations have recovered given a few years 

11 minutes ago, BirdMan said:

He actually doesn't give a damn , he is not the guy who wants to star in blockbusters or something , he is way more serious than Damon and his older brother to consider such films and frankly he is way too good to be ignored when it comes to movies with such heartfelt themes aimed at a narrow audience 

plus actors with worse reputations have recovered given a few years 

I don't think he wants to do blockbusters at all but I believe his choice to do I'm Still Here really did screw with his career after he had a stellar 2007. he and Ben have both admitted as much publically. I think he could've established himself as an equal to his BFF Joaquin as the critical/arthouse guy if he hadn't made such a weird off-putting career choice at that stage.

• Like 1

Innocent until proven guilty is the bedrock of any legal system. The whole point of settling a matter is that it gives neither side an advantage or disadvantage. Affleck may have settled because he's guilty as heck. The women could have settled because they've lied through their teeth. Or, as is more likely, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The point is we will never know because there was a settlement agreed by all 3 parties and none of them are allowed to talk about it now.

Personally I'm sceptical of what people say on Twitter. It's increasingly a hate filled forum and brings out the worst in people. Alternatively  People become holier than thou on Twitter. It's also a hotbed of what is outright libel.  Posters are very fortunate that the law has not yet properly worked out how to handle the daily defamation public figures suffer on social media from people who read half a story or want to push some agenda.

Plus, casting couch Hollywood with its sexual predators and love for convicted child rapist Polanski, among other things, can't pick and choose which moral high ground it wants to pontificate from depending on who the alleged bad guy is.

As for Affleck's future career, I agree with moviesrus and Birdman's assessments. 

Edited by All about Eve 2

20 hours ago, misafeco said:

Would you agree to make every other category voted by preferential ballot?

I think that would overcomplicate things without making any real difference since all other categories have 5 slots. When a movie hasn't enough support to win the preferential ballot it also shows in other categories that vote just for a winner. La La Land outside of BP  lost as many oscars as it won, Revenant lost all the technicals to Mad Max and even Gravity that swept below the line ended up with 2 fewer above the line oscars than 12 years a slave.

The point of the preferential ballot isn't to undermine the "frontrunner" or producing more surprising winners. It's necessary in the expanded BP category because if they voted just for the winner a movie could win with less than 25% of the votes.

24 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I think that would overcomplicate things without making any real difference since all other categories have 5 slots. When a movie hasn't enough support to win the preferential ballot it also shows in other categories that vote just for a winner. La La Land outside of BP  lost as many oscars as it won, Revenant lost all the technicals to Mad Max and even Gravity that swept below the line ended up with 2 fewer above the line oscars than 12 years a slave.

The point of the preferential ballot isn't to undermine the "frontrunner" or producing more surprising winners. It's necessary in the expanded BP category because if they voted just for the winner a movie could win with less than 25% of the votes.

I don't see what the purpose of preferential in 5 nominee categories would be either. The preferential thing is only there to prevent a random film from winning BP with like 11% of the vote. But La La Land lost Sound Mixing, which is very unusual for a musical, so I think we knew right then that this wasn't going to be a huge AMPAS love fest.

37 minutes ago, All about Eve 2 said:

Personally I'm sceptical of what people say on Twitter.

As you should, people should simply read both court document directly, I don't think anyone know more than that anyway. One difference between Affleck and some others scandal is that even if all the alleged event are true in those plaint in court, it is on the civil side, it is you should never act like that at work even in the movie industry type of stuff, and not action you go to prison for.

As for him not caring or if it matter, I think it probably did impact is career, he was releasing movies every year and starting too do so again, he had a little 2008-2009 hole in is cinematography just after those incident (and after the release of Jesse James one of the best acting of that decade). Everyone in the industry probably knew about it and I would imagine could have made him hard to fully insure for a while for some projects.

I don't think he would mind playing in blockbuster, he was in many of those, Interstellar recently, before that he was in the Ocean's eleven franchise, Triple 9 was close to an action movie (movie not that good but the action in it was extremely good). If Tarantino, Nolan, Spielberg, Ang Lee, Cuaron, insert others would want him in their next big blockbuster I don't think he would say no I just want to work on low budget, low profile movies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

As you should, people should simply read both court document directly, I don't think anyone know more than that anyway. One difference between Affleck and some others scandal is that even if all the alleged event are true in those plaint in court, it is on the civil side, it is you should never act like that at work even in the movie industry type of stuff, and not action you go to prison for.

As for him not caring or if it matter, I think it probably did impact is career, he was releasing movies every year and starting too do so again, he had a little 2008-2009 hole in is cinematography just after those incident (and after the release of Jesse James one of the best acting of that decade). Everyone in the industry probably knew about it and I would imagine could have made him hard to fully insure for a while for some projects.

I don't think he would mind playing in blockbuster, he was in many of those, Interstellar recently, before that he was in the Ocean's eleven franchise, Triple 9 was close to an action movie (movie not that good but the action in it was extremely good). If Tarantino, Nolan, Spielberg, Ang Lee, Cuaron, insert others would want him in their next big blockbuster I don't think he would say no I just want to work on low budget, low profile movies.

I believe he said he was running low on money around the time Out of the Furnace happened which is why he had to drop out of a Lonergan play to do that movie instead. I'm sure this has impacted his career in part but also just the whole I'm Still Here prank probably just made people go WTF what is he doing. It's also notable that in the documents their allegations involve him being drunk as hell when some of that stuff happened (the bed incident for example) and now he's said that he's sober since 2013, which is probably wise considering all the alcoholism that runs in his family. I think as long as it seems like he's cleaned up his act, he won't have problems finding work from now. Hollywood is pretty damn forgiving, look at Mel Gisbon.

• Like 1

Ultimately Hollywood likes success. There are far more horrific stories about the way powerful producers treat people both sexually and otherwise but no one dares speak against them or refuses to work with them. If you look at footage and candid photos from all the big awards and parties, there are plenty of images of big names hugging Affleck and congratulating him.

Also, what people say publicly isn't always their private position. Some people just play the PC PR game very well.

19 minutes ago, All about Eve 2 said:

Ultimately Hollywood likes success. There are far more horrific stories about the way powerful producers treat people both sexually and otherwise but no one dares speak against them or refuses to work with them. If you look at footage and candid photos from all the big awards and parties, there are plenty of images of big names hugging Affleck and congratulating him.

Also, what people say publicly isn't always their private position. Some people just play the PC PR game very well.

Yeah, I did notice the crowd was much friendlier to Affleck at the Oscars than they were at the GGs (even a standing ovation) and there's even a picture of him and Leo hugging and laughing together backstage, possibly because award season is finally over. I think actors are very conscious about how they're being judged on social media these days and trying to seem "woke". Brie Larson is probably genuinely trying to take a stand but also she was VERY active on twitter during the Nate Parker scandal so it would've been glaring if she just smiled through Casey Affleck's run. A lot of celebs were notably quiet on him though, like Jessica Chastain is usually very outspoken on twitter and elsewhere but she knows Affleck from Interstellar and she basically kept quiet.                                                                 

Edited by moviesRus
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Genre movies have never really won. They usually don't even get nominated -- in recent years (last 15 or so) they've actually gotten nominated more often. 

But all this goes back to the source issue: with occasional exception, the studios aren't making these sorts of movies and giving full rein to the talented creatives to enable them. Top-shelf genre talent is now (mostly) sidetracked doing franchise movies -- which might be entertaining but rarely distinguish themselves as worthy of being considered the very best of the best.

edit: it's also not a zero-sum game for a movie fan. I'm a big genre guy, so i was rooting for D9 (and a lesser extent AVATAR) in '09. But I love Bigelow as a director -- been a fan of hers since BLUE STEEL and NEAR DARK -- so I was happy to see her win (and while I didn't like HURT LOCKER as much as D9 or AVATAR, I still enjoyed it). Same thing this year -- of the nominees, ARRIVAL was my fave, but I basically liked all of the nominees (except LLL, but even there I didn't absolutely hate it). 

So I hope there's still quality SF getting made. I have hopes for BLADE RUNNER and ANNIHILATION and a bunch of others. But that's not gonna stop me from liking and rooting for a bunch of non-genre indie and low-budget movies when I see and like them. 

I was excited for Annihilation, but the changes that they are making from the book really do not sound that intriguing. 

4 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Hollywood is pretty damn forgiving, look at Mel Gisbon.

Well Gibson not only had to finance is movies himself, but had to also distribute outside the studio system or pay himself for their distribution and marketing. And didn't act or direct a MPAA studio movie in a long time, except for Edge of Darkness it seem.

I think now it will be possible, but it took a very long time and he had to make a lot of money with is non studio movies.

• Like 1