Grade it  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

Daddy-daughter was so well done and in character for Logan. He never went mushy but you knew that he loved her, while she went mushy cause kids always do when they are losing the loved ones. Also, crying was her showing more emotions beyond anger and curiosity so a big step in character development, since it appears that she was deliberately emotionally stunned due to experiments . perfectly done. I think that Keen was exceptional. Most of her performance was through her expressive eyes and grimacing but she brought the character's warmth and inner life (curiosity, happiness with small things, affection for Charles and Logan, anger) to perfection. 

• Like 1

Reading everyone else loving it so much just makes me sad I was so, so disappointed in what this turned into. I just don't see how the third act is any different than any generic comic book movie at all except for one very unsatisfying death scene. It has two trash villains and a bunch of kids we have reason to care about doing cheesy superpowers. It turned from something intriguing and new into another superhero team up chase movie. It's why that show Legion is so lame to me to - I don't care to see another team of mutants come together. Holbrook was pretty great too, shoulda just rolled with him the whole time. It was an A movie for an hour and a half but by the end it turns into a B- for me. 

• Like 6

I didn't ugly cry at any point but Charles and Logan dying definitely hit me in the feels.

I've wondered what it'd be like for a CBM movie to kill off its main hero, and Logan did that. And I think they did it in a really nice and earned way so it elevated the movie for me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Reading everyone else loving it so much just makes me sad I was so, so disappointed in what this turned into. I just don't see how the third act is any different than any generic comic book movie at all except for one very unsatisfying death scene. It has two trash villains and a bunch of kids we have reason to care about doing cheesy superpowers. It turned from something intriguing and new into another superhero team up chase movie. It's why that show Legion is so lame to me to - I don't care to see another team of mutants come together. Holbrook was pretty great too, shoulda just rolled with him the whole time. It was an A movie for an hour and a half but by the end it turns into a B- for me. 

I agree that the third act is weaker than stuff before it, heck, I'd say the best stuff is before they meet the family and make a detour. The movie's the strongest while characters we care for (the trio) are together. The rest has its moments but isn't consistently great anymore and adding a bunch of characters that have no emotional value and are no more than cardboard cutouts that need saving didn't help. But daddy-daughter moment compensated for it and it finished on the strong note. I think that for some of us, myself included, great last two scenes out weight the not-so-great previous ones.

But yes, in most ideal circumstances, there wouldn't be kids or at least there would be fewer but better developed. I think that family + kids was too much since Logan didn't have enough time to develop a real relationship with any of them, while Laura's relationship with the kids was only on paper, er, photo, but none of it was on the screen. And sharing music is not a relationship either. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I didn't ugly cry at any point but Charles and Logan dying definitely hit me in the feels.

I've wondered what it'd be like for a CBM movie to kill off its main hero, and Logan did that. And I think they did it in a really nice and earned way so it elevated the movie for me.

Well, one kinda did almost a year ago. ;) Then again, that whole movie was a botch job, so...

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, one kinda did almost a year ago. ;) Then again, that whole movie was a botch job, so...

Yeah but even if the movie was good, you know he was coming back.

This feels at least...80% definitive.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I definitely choked up during the ending, which has never happened before at a comic book movie. And I thought it was a much more satisfying send-off than The Dark Knight Rises.

Didn't mind the kids either.

:kitschjob:

I thought TDKR had a very satisfying last 5 minutes that made sense within its entire journey. The logistics are not...totally sound but I was quite pleased. Zimmer music helping a lot too. I'm pretty sure viewings 2-3-4 and 5 in IMAX had me tearing. 

But I liked Logan's ending a lot. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

:kitschjob:

I thought TDKR had a very satisfying last 5 minutes that made sense within its entire journey. The logistics are not...totally sound but I was quite pleased. Zimmer music helping a lot too. I'm pretty sure viewings 2-3-4 and 5 in IMAX had me tearing. 

But I liked Logan's ending a lot. 

:WHATanabe:

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

So what you're saying is Nolan chickened out.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

So what you're saying is Nolan chickened out.

Nah not necessarily. It was I thought a fairly tasteful and fitting end to his trilogy. There was certainly a running theme throughout the trilogy that the people who cared about Bruce wanted him to live a good life beyond Batman. 

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Nah not necessarily. It was I thought a fairly tasteful and fitting end to his trilogy. There was certainly a running theme throughout the trilogy that the people who cared about Bruce wanted him to live a good life beyond Batman. 

TDKR ending gets me too. saw it 3 times in Imax haha he finally become what he always wanted, something more than a man, a symbol. When the kids see him fly over with the bomb, at that moment he truly became Batman. Its an arc that was 3 movies in the works.

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 3

I went in wanting to like this. I never expected it to do well but then the great reviews came out and I was really happy. I love the x-men. Big part of my childhood. 

But this wasn't great. It was ok. Charles death was poorly done. He should have died after the fight. And what happened in Westchester? They never said. I guess it was in another movie but they should have explained it here. Logan's death didn't do much for me either. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed this. The first two acts are real A-material with outstanding performances and dialogue. The third act........... eh. Logan's death is great and heartbreaking, but after Charles dies, it just kind of feels like they're going through the motions to get to the ending. I'm giving this a 9/10 | A- right now, but I won't be surprised if that goes down on rewatches.

• Like 2