Grade it  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

2 hours ago, Frozen said:

I went in wanting to like this. I never expected it to do well but then the great reviews came out and I was really happy. I love the x-men. Big part of my childhood. 

But this wasn't great. It was ok. Charles death was poorly done. He should have died after the fight. And what happened in Westchester? They never said. I guess it was in another movie but they should have explained it here. Logan's death didn't do much for me either. 

It's pretty clear. He had his first really bad episode in Westchester and killed the 7 remaining mutants there except for Logan. 

• Like 2

It instantly became my second favorite movie in the X-verse after Singer's X2 with that finale, but I think the movie is far from perfect.

It celebrates its R rating a little too much with Logan stabbing someone every other scene and the fact that he basically has to fight his younger self cloned was not that great. I liked everything else though, the girl was cute, it had humor without really having to lighten the mood, Hugh Jackman was beyond amazing and owns this character for all eternity.

B+

• Like 2

Real quick:

Loved it but a little too dark for me.  Not a lot of joy and or light moments in the film.

Dafne Keen is flat out a star.  She commanded the screen every time she was on it.  I really hope they do an X-23 spin off.

The ending ruined me.  I don't think they needed to kill him.  Not cool.  Too many deaths this week IRL and now on screen.

I'll write more later.

8.5/10

• Like 1

This movie was the rare perfect send-off. For both characters.

Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman really deserved this movie after 17 years of loyal hard work for this franchise and the CBM genre in general, I'm real happy they got it. No wonder they cried together watching it, I would have too were I them.

Awards talk, even if just nominations and/or consideration are not exaggerated, this really deserves some love.

A, obviously.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Nolan is a great director, but he sure as hell can't do emotions.

Point of view. BB, TDK, TDKR, Inception, Interstellar have emotional moments, IMO. He doesn't milk them like Peter Jackson (which was the right way to go in LOTR, not so in Kong) but they are there. It won't have you bawl your eyes but you won't need a cup of hot coffee/tea afterwards either. 

What's emotional and what isn't in the eye of the beholder. Some people cried when Han died some felt nothing due to zero build up. Some think Carol is a cold movie, some find it super moving. Some movies emotions hit you right away and every time you see the movie. Some hit you and then you forget about it and it doesn't work second time around. Some hit you 2 days later. Some never. But different people may feel differently. 

I do agree that it seems that AMPAS (6000 of them) is consisted of majority that doesn't find Nolan's movies particularly emotional. 

6 hours ago, baumer said:

Real quick:

Loved it but a little too dark for me.  Not a lot of joy and or light moments in the film.

Dafne Keen is flat out a star.  She commanded the screen every time she was on it.  I really hope they do an X-23 spin off.

The ending ruined me.  I don't think they needed to kill him.  Not cool.  Too many deaths this week IRL and now on screen.

I'll write more later.

8.5/10

Him dying was really the only way this movie was gonna end. Especially with all the other X-Men dead.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Him dying was really the only way this movie was gonna end. Especially with all the other X-Men dead.

Yeah, it's just the theme of the film: degeneration and death. Xavier's old age caused him to kill the X-Men, and with them it also ended an era. Logan himself is not just going through a depression that can be cured with an influx of hope, but his body will physically not last for much longer.

It might be because I had read comments about the third act not being as strong as the rest of the film, but I just loved the whole thing. Jackman's performance is legendary, and the script really does things when they need to happen and has just the perfect amount of characters.

A+ for me.

• Like 3

One seemingly trivial shot in the movie that's really stuck with me is when Logan's driving the bacholrette party. One of the girls shows her tits and he gives a polite but half-hearted smile. In that moment he looks so fucking empty, devoid of any real joy his life, and the years of suffering and torment are suddenly painfully apparent. Superheroes aren't meant to be portrayed like this. It hits really hard.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Nah, he had to die because Jackman knew he wouldn't be able to resist returning to the character again otherwise. :lol:

Even then, who knows?

This was really good, surprisingly. Yes, the movie does kind of lose its energy around 2/3rds in and the themes about a broken soul being afraid to let anyone in are kind of played out, but the story beats are solid enough and there are many visceral, entertaining action setpieces.

• Like 1

I thought the kids were an integral part of the movie.  They gave Laura hope and for them to be heading to Canada was a nice tough as that's Wolverine's place of birth.  I'm not sure why some here have a problem with the kids either.

• Like 2