DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

This. Ghost in The Shell wasn't a generic revenge plot movie. Tbh the kind of thing Ghost in The Shell was, was entirely wrong for American general audiences. It's a cerebral and philosophical story that happens to have action in it. None of that is really what American audiences enjoy.

It can work. *cough* Blade Runner *cough*

They just have to be willing to take a risk.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

I personally think that "Hidden Figures" and "Get Out" are doing this good not only because they happen to have black leads, but also because it's about justice where good conquers the evil and it's refreshing for the audience to see that the "evils" is not for once someone of dark/brown skin. I find it irritatating that Hollywood needs a "reason" to cast POC actors, whereas whites are the default. That is absurd, given the level of talent we've seen from POC actors (they just need a decent material to work with, like "Get Out") who are continually pigeon-holed into sidekick or bad guy roles.

For once the bad guy isn't black/brown?  Most bad guys in movies are white these days.  The main villains in all of the top grossing live action movies last year were white.  If I'm not mistaken you have to go down to #16 on the domestic list for 2016 to get a main non-white antagonist (leaving out animated movies; also I didn't see fantastic beasts).

It's real life where things aren't so simple.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, MattW said:

For once the bad guy isn't black/brown?  Most bad guys in movies are white these days.  The main villains in all of the top grossing live action movies last year were white.  If I'm not mistaken you have to go down to #16 on the domestic list for 2016 to get a main non-white antagonist (leaving out animated movies; also I didn't see fantastic beasts).

It's real life where things aren't so simple.

I posted a good reply to that absurd post, but it somehow "disappeared" 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

I personally think that "Hidden Figures" and "Get Out" are doing this good not only because they happen to have black leads, but also because it's about justice where good conquers the evil and it's refreshing for the audience to see that the "evils" is not for once someone of dark/brown skin. I find it irritatating that Hollywood needs a "reason" to cast POC actors, whereas whites are the default. That is absurd, given the level of talent we've seen from POC actors (they just need a decent material to work with, like "Get Out") who are continually pigeon-holed into sidekick or bad guy roles.

I agree that Hollywood doesn't need a reason to cast POC, but Get Out probably isn't the best example seeing as how the bulk of the film is driven by racial tension. It would have been much less effective if everyone in the film were black.

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, XO21 said:

Scar Jo got $18m to star in Ghost, if it underperforms the thinkpieces about star power is dead and white-washing will bury it :sadben:

Those thinkpieces wouldn't necessarily be wrong. Star power can't unilaterally save a movie anymore.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eevin said:

Batman v Superman's third weekend was $23.3m. 

Get Out's third weekend is going to be around $22m with a budget 1/56 of BvS. 

But please, no one learn anything from this.

Because there is absolutely nothing to be learned.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, franfar said:

Those thinkpieces wouldn't necessarily be wrong. Star power can't unilaterally save a movie anymore.

Star power has been almost dead for a long time now. Even the biggest names can only succeed with the right franchise/IP/big-budget fair. 

The era of films like An Officer and a Gentleman, Rainman, Basic Instict, Forrest Gump, The Bodyguard, Pretty Woman, Liar Liar etc is very long gone. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Scar Jo got $18m to star in Ghost, if it underperforms the thinkpieces about star power is dead and white-washing will bury it :sadben:

Didn't The Great Wall show star power is dead? Sure folks will go see a film because so and so is in it but it's not to the extent it used to be. I think having a well known actor or actress attached to a movie is a good idea but only to a certain extent. 

In regards to GITS for all the promo and advertisement they're spending on it, it's really not amounting to much in terms of hype. I also don't think Scarjo is helping in regards to her comments about the white washing going on in the film. 

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Star power has been almost dead for a long time now. Even the biggest names can only succeed with the right franchise/IP/big-budget fair. 

The era of films like An Officer and a Gentleman, Rainman, Basic Instict, Forrest Gump, The Bodyguard, Pretty Woman, Liar Liar etc is very long gone. 

True. I don't think those movies could reach their unadjusted totals today, let alone adjusted. 

Audiences are inclined to see event films, and none of them meet that bar.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XO21 said:

What is the total budget for Ghost in the Shell? Do we know?

Just now, Eevin said:

I'd argue that only The Rock, Melissa McCarthy, Kevin Hart, Denzel Washington and Jennifer Lawrence can legitimately say that they have star power. It's a dying breed.

Don't forget DiCaprio and Cruise. Their movies wouldn't do as well w/o them.

I'm sure there are more.

• Like 2