grim22

Skyscraper | July 13 2018 | Legendary | Rawson Marshall Thurber directing. The Rock. China co-production, set in China.

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

Didn't dig the trailer really. Wonder if China > Dom for this.

I'm having a hard time pegging its potential in China. On the one hand, it has the Rock and takes place in China (although Hollywood pandering will only go so far). On the other, it doesn't look nearly as epic or interesting as his other action films. San Andreas made $103 million in China, so I suppose that's a good baseline for now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

China could care less about that. They like it. 

You knew Great Wall is considered a disappointment in China right.

And by the way... it is mindset like yours..is why producers keep making such movies and offending many mainland chinese audiences. Lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

You knew Great Wall is considered a disappointment in China right.

And by the way... it is mindset like yours..is why producers keep making such movies and offending many mainland chinese audiences. Lol.

Lol, They do this because CHINA wants it. Look at who is financing these movies they are Chinese companies [mod edit]. 

The Great Wall is the 29th film of all time in china. 11 Hollywood movies are ahead of it. With the Fast 7 and Fast 8 on top which star the rock. give it a break. 

7 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Lol, They do this because CHINA wants it. Look at who is financing these movies they are Chinese companies. [mod edit]

The Great Wall is the 29th film of all time in china. 11 Hollywood movies are ahead of it. With the Fast 7 and Fast 8 on top which star the rock. give it a break. 

Eh. This is like SW8's domestic box office.

People expected Great Wall to earn more in China.  Chinese companies fund a lot of movie..even local films.. do all of them make a profit?

The total sum may look impressive but rmb that Great Wall made a loss.

I love DJ as an actor and hope this does well, but you are playing down potential negative impacts of this script and assuming this will absolutely explode there.

• Like 1

The Great Wall's boxoffice take is a major disapppointment in China. Yes, on paper this definitely looks like another TGW except this doesn't have all those big Chinese names so this will gross even less. BTW, inChina Matt Damon is much more well-known than Dwayne Johnson.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This doesn't look like something for Ant Man&Wasp to worry about (since some people expressed concern in another thread). It's a Die Hard in China. I expected better but the trailer is as generic as it gets. 

I think summer as it is has enough room for all, but if this is PG-13 and targeting families who want to look for a thrilling movie too, then it will have some overlap with AM2. But I don't think AM2 will dent it really.

• Like 1

R huh? Wow, this really is trying to be Die Hard knockoff I guess. I definitely think this is a ding against its box office, a movie like this would do better as a PG-13. And The Rock's only three R's are also his few box office duds DOM this decade (Faster, Pain and Gain, and Baywatch).