franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Can people please learn to know the difference between actually committing sex crimes (Weinstein, Spacey, Polanski) and making edgy jokes (Gunn)?

Well you see, making shitty in poor taste jokes is the same as committing those acts yourself!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StevenG said:

"Edgy jokes"

Nah...

Condoning pedophilia, rape, and transphobia is not edgy or funny.

But carry on, Gunn apologists ("But he made two fantastic films!!! OMG...Leave James alone!!!")...

Condone: to regard or treat (something bad or blameworthy) as acceptable, forgivable, or harmless

I have not read the transphobic material, so maybe, but did he did that ? (a dark humor joke only work if the subject treated is regarded as bad and blame worthy, the joke is extremely flat if it is not going too far in the eye of the people reading it/making it and for a non-comedian like Gunn even with the edge they are still not quite punchy it is usually the reverse of regarding those taboo subject as harmless/acceptable, you cannot make dark humor with acceptable subject)

I would say that actually condoning pedophilia or rape is extremely edgy, you think it is mainstream ?

People do not necessarily care about Gunn and/or certainly not about some Superheroes movies here, there is much more at stake than movies.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

I frankly dont tolerate politically correct types as they selectively choose their outrages. 

Somewhat, but Gunns was a very liberal figure and anti-Trump type and lost is jobs with them, so if this is the angle you are referring too it does not apply much here.

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I frankly dont tolerate politically correct types as they selectively choose their outrages. 

it's almost as if context matters and one size doesn't fit all.

(No, not defending Gunn)

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Many activists hace have demanded there, for better or worse, be consequences for speech as well as actions. Gunn isn’t the first person fired for comments and he won’t be the last 

The Entertainment industry is all about image, and no where more so then Disney. The Mouse is going to be totally ruthless in defending it's image...as will most studios.

If Gunn had made a few off color jokes, he probably would have kept his job. But making jokes about rape.....that is taking it to a new level. it's digusting, frankly.

As for the freedom of speech issue......the first admenment just says the government cannot put you in jail for what you say. It does not say that there will not be consequences for what you say. I have a perfect constiional right to go up to my boss and call hime a no good, son of a bitch shithead. But that right will not keep me from being fired.

A lot of people, I note, find the idea of actually being held responsible for your actions and what you say scary. Welcome to the real world where theyre are often consequences.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

The post you quoted referenced RDJ losing his job because of his drug addiction from ten years ago. 

No one needs to put words in your mouth to see what you’re implying especially given how your other posts have gone in this thread. 

And no one needs to put words in your mouth to see what you’re implying especially given how your other posts have gone in this thread either. 😉

To make it more clear to you since you have a hard time understanding. The topics I meant are pedophilia and sexual harassment.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-gunn-responds-marvel-firing-guardians-of-the-galaxy-for-tweets-1202430535/

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”

“Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

It really disheartens me to see people acting like this a good thing. We can all agree the jokes were in poor taste, but that's all the were, shitty jokes in poor taste trying to get a rise out of people, and if that's enough for you to think someone should lose their job and be ostracized from their industry then I sincerely hope you never said any questionable shit in your past.

This shit just bums me out (and I feel like clarifying I'm not talking about Roseanne here, she had it coming). This isn't us progressing or becoming better people, this is people acting of self-preservation and fear.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Somewhat, but Gunns was a very liberal figure and anti-Trump type and lost is jobs with them, so if this is the angle you are referring too it does not apply much here.

Ironic this breaks on the same day that we hear about the President paying off a Playboy model....

People of all political opinions can be scumbags.

I could give a fuck about James Gunn. I don’t know him personally. I could care less about the movies he’s making either. However, the reality is that, what happened to him is treading into very dangerous territory. 

Should everyone, famous or not, be fired because of questionable/heinous things they’ve said 10+ years ago? If not, then how does the line get drawn? And what happens if the person apologizes, as did Gunn, and yet years later he still gets fired. 

Where does the line get drawn? And I don’t want someone to bring about Roseanne again when the two situations aren’t similar at all, if you actually know about them. 

We are all hopefully going to be living long lives. And unfortunately, we may say things that are fucked up. But how about we allow people to grow from those situations? Or is that not allowed anymore and the moment you say a bad thing that means you should be thrown in the bad corner and be punished forever. 

Whew at all of you cheering and clapping, just wait till something you’ve said (that you’ve probably forgotten about) comes back and gets you fired years down the line. 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Well you see, making shitty in poor taste jokes is the same as committing those acts yourself!

No, but you really don't get why a company might not want to employ you if you do?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

It truly is strange situation.

3. HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU PEOPLE STILL NOT DELETING YOUR OLD TWEETS?!?

I don’t get this shit. If I get even the slightest bit of fame I’d be deleting EVERYTHING. I’d delete my account on these forums for godssake.

They are paid professional service that can help you clean your Internet presence I would imagine (many not even famous woman with some online presence tend to use it to remove from the Internet phone/address information to reduce the amount of real life harassment they receive weekly).

Disney must have known considering those story came out back in the days when he got hired for GOTG, I must imagine he deleted a lot of them a long time ago and some people backup them back then.