franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

40 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I was kinda kidding when I mentioned Taika although that would obvs be fun. Tbh I won't be surprised if Feige hires a woman for the good press, just got through meeting with like a billion candidates for WIdow

that would be great cause it's really limiting to offer women only jobs where a lead is a woman. Like, how long do they have to wait for WW or BW to come along to be considered? Give them GOTG, Strange, etc. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

Just now, dudalb said:

If Gunn had made a few off color jokes, he probably would have kept his job. But making jokes about rape.....that is taking it to a new level. it's digusting, frankly.

Meh.

i watch tv shows and listen to podcasts that joke about rape and paedophilia all the time.

Are we supposed to cancel Rick and Morty, Archer, South Park, and Family Guy? I could probably list way more in all honesty.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

No, but you really don't get why a company might not want to employ you if you do?

I think everyone get that part (specially a family oriented company) once there is an online outrage about it (and they seem that the company had issue with it only once the tweetosphere played it, not before).

We also get why people that live off click-bait or want to attack someone for some motive does it.

People that are not paid to do it that goes along is more mysterious.

Just now, Nova said:

I could give a fuck about James Gunn. I don’t know him personally. I could care less about the movies he’s making either. However, the reality is that, what happened to him is treading into very dangerous territory. 

Should everyone, famous or not, be fired because of questionable/heinous things they’ve said 10+ years ago? If not, then how does the line get drawn? And what happens if the person apologizes, as did Gunn, and yet years later he still gets fired. 

Where does the line get drawn? And I don’t want someone to bring about Roseanne again when the two situations aren’t similar at all, if you actually know about them. 

We are all hopefully going to be living long lives. And unfortunately, we may say things that are fucked up. But how about we allow people to grow from those situations? Or is that not allowed anymore and the moment you say a bad thing that means you should be thrown in the bad corner and be punished forever. 

Whew at all of you cheering and clapping, just wait till something you’ve said (that you’ve probably forgotten about) comes back and gets you fired years down the line. 

Companies are going to defend their public image,particularly in the entertainment industry. It's always been that way, always will be.

ANd the Rosanne/Gunn cases are pretty much the same:Disney fired someone who made comments that are going to offend an awful lot of their core audience.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

that would be great cause it's really limiting to offer women only jobs where a lead is a woman. Like, how long do they have to wait for WW or BW to come along to be considered? Give them GOTG, Strange, etc. 

That black director for black heroes, female director for female heroes, etc.. is limiting. The take of a female point of view on a male hero can also be interesting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Yap, change is needed and if a chance at some good press in the middle of a PR disaster is what it takes, so be it

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The Entertainment industry is all about image, and no where more so then Disney. The Mouse is going to be totally ruthless in defending it's image...as will most studios.

If Gunn had made a few off color jokes, he probably would have kept his job. But making jokes about rape.....that is taking it to a new level. it's digusting, frankly.

As for the freedom of speech issue......the first admenment just says the government cannot put you in jail for what you say. It does not say that there will not be consequences for what you say. I have a perfect constiional right to go up to my boss and call hime a no good, son of a bitch shithead. But that right will not keep me from being fired.

A lot of people, I note, find the idea of actually being held responsible for your actions and what you say scary. Welcome to the real world where theyre are often consequences.

I don't think there's anyone in here saying there should be no consequences for his actions or that he shouldn't have gotten any shit for his tweets, but I think the reaction is totally blown out of proportion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

It really disheartens me to see people acting like this a good thing. We can all agree the jokes were in poor taste, but that's all the were, shitty jokes in poor taste trying to get a rise out of people, and if that's enough for you to think someone should lose their job and be ostracized from their industry then I sincerely hope you never said any questionable shit in your past.

This shit just bums me out (and I feel like clarifying I'm not talking about Roseanne here, she had it coming). This isn't us progressing or becoming better people, this is people acting of self-preservation and fear.

Yup.

This competiion for morale virtue is downright pathetic & dangerous.

They are all terrified, it s kinda amusing, a testament to their immaturity.

That's exactly how all religions work(ed), they set the standard of what is acceptable in society and what is not and if you commit a sin, according to their rules, the Church & their minions will burn you alive without mercy.

That's what people call progress today.

This is merely the beginning.

You will soon have to swear on the Progressive Bible, written as we speak, before you say or do anything in your life./

We are going to have so much fun, just like those Disney blockbusters we love.

It s like we are back in 1687, when the Church was controlling every aspect of people s life.

It took centuries to free ourselves from the Church.

It will take just as long to get rid of the New Progressit Puritans.

It s gonna be a long War, cold, unjust and violent, like any war.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

They are paid professional service that can help you clean your Internet presence I would imagine (many not even famous woman with some online presence tend to use it to remove from the Internet phone/address information to reduce the amount of real life harassment they receive weekly).

Disney must have known considering those story came out back in the days when he got hired for GOTG, I must imagine he deleted a lot of them a long time ago and some people backup them back then.

YESTERDAY. HE TRIED TO DELETE THEM ONLY YESTERDAY. I would’ve deleted my shit the moment I was in the running to direct a Disney family film

A8opIvS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Yup.

This competiion for morale virtue is downright pathetic & dangerous.

They are all terrified, it s kinda amusing, a testament to their immaturity.

That's exactly how all religions work(ed), they set the standard of what is acceptable in society and what is not and if you sin, according to their rules, the Church will burn you alive without mercy.

That's what people call progress today.

This is merely the beginning.

You will soon have to swear on the Progressive Bible, written as we speak, before you say or do anything in your life.

We are going to have so much fun, just like those Disney blockbusters we love.

It s like we are back in 1687, when the Church was controlling every aspect of people s life.

It took centuries to free ourselves from the Church.

It will take just as long to get rid of the New Progressit Puritans.

It s gonna be a long War.

45 minutes ago, cookie said:

1256519926211.jpg

At the end of the day, Disney is about making money.  At this point, they probably believed they could lose less money by firing Gunn than by trying to weather the expected crazed internet mob "sh&tstorm" if they didn't. 

It may mean they have another director in mind for a GOTG3...it may mean they pass on GOTG3 for Phase 4...it may mean they integrate some of the Guardians into someone else's solo movie for Phase 4...but they probably figured they could come up with a good plan that saved them hassle, so they made the move.

I don't respect the move, but in this day and age, I understand it.  

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Companies are going to defend their public image,particularly in the entertainment industry. It's always been that way, always will be.

ANd the Rosanne/Gunn cases are pretty much the same:Disney fired someone who made comments that are going to offend an awful lot of their core audience.

Roseanne made comments in the present day that showed she had not changed as an individual and is still the racist she has always been. 

James Gunn had tweets resurface from a decade ago.....that he has already apologized for. 

They're not the same thing. 

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if they have done a script for GOTG3 yet or if they'll hire another writer to do rewrites. 

He did write a script for GOTG3 and posted a title page on twitter.

Edited by Firepower

Well, I don’t know how to feel about this. As disgusting as his tweets were, I’m fairly certain Disney and Kevin Feige already knew about them when they first hired Gunn, so it’s painfully obvious that they’re only doing this because they want to be as free of controversy as possible. 

Oh well. Mike “This is how you choke a bitch” Cernovich certainly doesn’t play games.