franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

11 hours ago, Macleod said:

I'm gonna be 'that guy': What's the hook, here?  At least the second movie had "Daddy issues reappear"...and it had beautiful visual effects.  I don't see anything new or different going on, here...except Stallone's surprise credit at the end!  Guess he's back for this one!  (But full disclosure: I'm not a big James Gunn fan, anyway...)

The finale of this franchise, duh.

8 hours ago, Factcheck said:

Why are trailer views lower than Ant-Man 3?

Because Ant-Man 3 is not just an Ant-Man movie. It seems like it's going to be a major juncture for the Multiverse saga, ushering in the saga's main villain and likely paving the way for the next Avengers movie. It's not an event film per se, but it looks like it might be a big event on the MCU timeline.

In a nutshell: because Ant-Man 3 is actually a big deal. Seeing Kang in the trailer, people know this.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Verrows said:

For me it's the world building. Adam Warlock and the High Evolutionary are significant character additions to the MCU, especially Warlock.

I can see how that wouldn't be a hook for the GA though.

These characters aren't identified so far in the trailer by dialogue, etc., so going from a "general audience" perspective, all that doesn't come through yet.  

12 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Looks fine. I didn't think much of the first film but heard the second's a lot better, maybe I should give it a go. I thought the green alien woman was killed in that Avengers movie but I guess she's alive.

She was.  But this is her from another universe...or earlier in time...or something (I don't care enough to look it up).  Gotta wonder what that other universe/timeline does *without* her, though... *those* are some story elements I'd like to see more of...

7 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

I will of course watch it, I love the GOTG, but this trailer doesn't seem to tell us WHY we should watch this movie beyond, well, it's a Guardians story.

It's lacking a hook, a money shot, something that goes like "oh yeah this is a must watch" for people who are not big GOTG fans

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

6 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Because it's the finale?

4 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Why should I care just because it's supposedly a finale?  That doesn't tell me anything about the STORY.  For pre-attached fans of GOTG, hey, they're already invested.  So the trailer doesn't have to work for them.  For everyone else, I'll wait to see more to decide whether I'll actually go to theaters or not.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Feel like being a finale doesn't mean much. I know this is Gunn's last movie, I know some characters will die, I know it's advertised as the last movie, etc. but the average moviegoer doesn't recognize it and/or won't buy it. Finale factors don't really exist because everybody knows that a franchise is going to be revived in some way within a few years. Most "finale" movies these days push the whole "IT ALL ENDS HERE" and it doesn't really do much to boost the box office with some exceptions. Maybe this one is different, but I'm sure Chris Pratt or Zoe Saldana will come crawling back to Guardians when they have to pay for their kids' college tuitions and need an easy paycheck. And I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

I will of course watch it, I love the GOTG, but this trailer doesn't seem to tell us WHY we should watch this movie beyond, well, it's a Guardians story.

It's lacking a hook, a money shot, something that goes like "oh yeah this is a must watch" for people who are not big GOTG fans

the hook is that it is following GOTG1 and 2 which seem more liked by fans and audiences than the average Marvel movie 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Verrows said:

Because Ant-Man 3 is not just an Ant-Man movie. It seems like it's going to be a major juncture for the Multiverse saga, ushering in the saga's main villain and likely paving the way for the next Avengers movie. It's not an event film per se, but it looks like it might be a big event on the MCU timeline.

In a nutshell: because Ant-Man 3 is actually a big deal. Seeing Kang in the trailer, people know this.

But Ant-Man 3 trailer views were also not great.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Factcheck said:

But Ant-Man 3 trailer views were also not great.

It feels like trailer views are just down in general for movies. Mario trailer views are also absurdly low in my view, considering how popular the property is. 

• Like 2