franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

Rape jokes were literally all the rage among stand up comedians a few year ago. People made so many pedophilia jokes after the Catholic church scandal I honestly couldn't even keep track on late night. If you're saying it's only OK if it's funny, well I think people have very different sensibilities about what they find funny? Fat jokes were all the rage before - I don't think you could watch any episode of a sitcom without fat jokes.

I think you're going to find that a lot of popular entertainers have that cross to bear simply because trends change and what people find offensive will continue to evolve. 

Speaking of fat jokes. Imagine if Just Friends got released today :sparta:Ryan Reynolds and Anna Farris wouldn’t have careers anymore and would be banished from Hollywood. Just look at this tweet:

These new Puritans have the most damaging thing in common with the old ones from the Catholic Church, or any religion for that matter.

They are fucking

HYPROCRITES

HYPOCRISY, repeat after me, 

HYPOCRISY

HYPOCRISY

repeat again and again ...

I would have to just record them(you, me) for 24 hours (12 ? 6 ?) to find some dirt on them(you,me) so I could shame them (you,me) on the Internets & the Twitters.

Who do they(you,we) think they(you, we) are ?

Oh suuure, you never told a lewd, horrible, tasteless joke ever in your life or laughed at it, everything you say is an Aaron Sorkin monologue, full of erudition and moral rectitude, right ?

I bow down to you.

BRAVO.

You never made a bad joke or comment (or thought about it just in your mind) on the physical appearance of a man or a woman from your social circle, no, God Forbid or even say or think something that could be considered racist, homophobic, sexist etc you name it, any -ist or -ic by the modern Twitter Mob ?

No, you re a saint and you will hunt down the sinners until there is no more sinners.

And I could continue ... on and on ...

We are all imperfect things, prisonners of our emotions, desires and impulses that make us say or think the dumbest or hurtful things about other people. 

We strive to be better but it's always a long road, full of mistakes.

Please, don't pretend otherwise and take a fucking chill pill.

Or log off the Fucking Internets.

Thanks.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is ridiculous, I didn't bother to read the tweets and they may be bad, but seriously he is getting FIRED for posting some insensitive tweets that happened years ago? 

After releasing not 1 but 2 insanely successful movies for Marvel that were both financially and critical success and made Disney over $1b??!! 

Disney better come to their senses, this is ridiculous, beyond ridiculous.   

And the Hypocrisy of it, somebody call the PC police to save the day.

Whoever they get to replace him better have some artistic vision. GOTG and GOTG Vol 2 are some of my favorite films in the MCU. 

Edited by Kalo

I thought it was a few silly tweets. Then I actually read them. Comes off as really creepy and wtf. I'm not sure I'd fire him over it, but I would not be comfortable with him tbh. Disney firing him over dozens of tweets regarding rape and pedophilia means they don't want him associated with the brand.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kalo said:

This is ridiculous, I didn't bother to read the tweets and they may be bad, but seriously he is getting FIgrund RED for posting some insensitive tweets that happened years ago? 

Whoever they get to replace him better have some artistic vision. GOTG and GOTG Vol 2 are some of my favorite films in the MCU. 

i agree of Disney taking the high ground now after everything was public way before

but his pedo/rape jokes were just bad, almost disturbing, as if he has something dark inside him

5 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i agree of Disney taking the high ground now after everything was public way before

but his pedo/rape jokes were just bad, almost disturbing, as if he has something dark inside him

Like I said I didn't read them, but seriously, you've never made a rape joke? I understand the reality of it is terrible, but when I am with my circle of friends, there is some pretty UN-PC jokes that take place. I'm pretty sure there ins't anything dark in me(I hope??). probably wouldn't post them on Twitter. but whatever.

21 minutes ago, Kalo said:

This is ridiculous, I didn't bother to read the tweets and they may be bad, but seriously he is getting FIRED for posting some insensitive tweets that happened years ago? 

After releasing not 1 but 2 insanely successful movies for Marvel that were both financially and critical success and made Disney over $1b??!! 

Disney better come to their senses, this is ridiculous, beyond ridiculous.   

And the Hypocrisy of it, somebody call the PC police to save the day.

This si a politic move 

5 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Like I said I didn't read them, but seriously, you've never made a rape joke? I understand the reality of it is terrible, but when I am with my circle of friends, there is some pretty UN-PC jokes that take place. I'm pretty sure there ins't anything dark in me(I hope??). probably wouldn't post them on Twitter. but whatever.

he did apologize, i think Disney reacted too fast, this should not have happened

could have turned this into a teachable moment

• Like 1

Gunn made the jokes to prove a point.

He s still right, more than ever in fact.

But he cannot publicly say it but he knows.

His act of contrition is again, what the Church asked of you after you commited a sin, according to the Book.

Public shaming then public excuses.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The irony, this time, is that the ones who killed the Church have now taken its place.

They are the New Communists.

The other Irony is that yes, jokes like these used to trigger the Conservatives, they were aimed at them, it was one of the main reason those jokes were made, but now, everybody s triggered.

It s kinda beautiful in a weird way, we are now a big happy family, all offended 24/7.

Yay !

Edited by The Futurist

Good for Disney for firing his nasty ass. It's sad to see, although not surprising, that some people are defending him. It is probably the same folks who think Roman Polanski should be forgiven just 'cause he did Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby. I can't think of a professional workplace where it would be tolerated for employees to publicly make statements like these.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Good for Disney for firing his nasty ass. It's sad to see, although not surprising, that some people are defending him. It is probably the same folks who think Roman Polanski should be forgiven just 'cause he did Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby. I can't think of a professional workplace where it would be tolerated for employees to publicly make statements like these.

You mean a professional workplace that would have been tolerated for employees to have publicly made statements like these in the past.

At my job my boss and employees do them at the workplace (outside the US too, really different work culture).

I would imagine construction and many profession would tolerate that type of social media account, place with a strong union (could imagine an union letting an employee getting fired for joke made before being hired on twitter ?), if you listen to the Bad Wizard podcast they make racist, sexist, rape etc... jokes pretty much every episode and get their jobs as university teacher and it is a widely listened too podcast.

Edited by Barnack