franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

11 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

So it seems Iger is on vacation right now. lol sucks for him his vacation was probably spent stressing over this lame controversy. 

Poor guy. Lets all feel sorry for the multi-billionaire.... 😏

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think the best idea is to ignore the twitter PC mob outrage for 1-3 days and you most likely get away from the issues as most people on Twitter that get worked up about such things have the attention span of a goldfish.

This is different because it isn't just twitter mob outrage but the cast is standing by Gunn. if it was just the twitter mob, it would be easy breezy. But when your cast is saying the decision was wrong, not so much. Especially if there's more than we know, and tweets were just a pretext for firing that was brewing already and that always boils down to creative freedom and money (creative differences, director asks too much money, Disney not happy with GOTG 2 performance, Russos proving that other directors can handle Gunn material just as well or better, etc). In short, Gunn was allowed to change from irreplaceable to expendable. I mean, it's hard to imagine that Disney would let him go so quickly due to tweets if they were 100% happy with him prior to TwitterGate. Doesn't compute. 

Yeah. The thing about "offensive" jokes is that you have to know your audience. You're not going to tell pedo jokes to someone who was molested. 

Is it ok for a director of 2 +300m blockbusters? Of course not. But back then, it perfectly fit his small niche audience. His only fault is not cleaning everything from before he directed GOTG.

I do agree there's something going on behind the scenes. It's not like Roseanne who had a huge track record of being racist and everyone was kinda hoping she would mess it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think the best idea is to ignore the twitter PC mob outrage for 1-3 days and you most likely get away from the issues as most people on Twitter that get worked up about such things have the attention span of a goldfish.

It was some far-right trolls who led the campaign, they didn't really get "worked up" over the tweets.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

It was some far-right trolls who led the campaign, they didn't really get "worked up" over the tweets.

The sanctimonious far left mob stupidly helped the far right get Gunn fired. I'm far left and I loathe how reactionary my fellow libs are on social media. This whole Gunn thing has pissed me off so much that it's part of the reason that I've taken a break from Twitter. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

The twitter mobs refers to across the political spectrum and they are rather insufferable. 

A small % of the population has twitter and a small fraction of that are even political but society and the media take what people say on Twitter to mean what society as a while is saying and its rather annoying. 

Its one of the main reason why I dont care about media much as it seems they just scan twitter looking for click bait stories to get clicks on their website. 

I think we should frankly just stop projecting what people say on twitter to mean what the average person thinks... likely would be better for the political  and societal discourse in my opinion.  

Edited by Lordmandeep

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So if tweets are not gonna reach GA, why all this mess? or were Tweets going to get headlines on TV and trades? 

TV? Absolutely not. lol.

Trades? Maybe eventually but Disney reacted so quickly there were literally no articles about Gunn's tweets until the moment he was fired when they were just reporting that.

Hollywood and celebrities created the mob culture mentality and put identity politics to almost every topic and now they don't like it when one of them was the victim of their own tactics.

Change mentality and then rehire James Gunn I have no problem with that. 🙂

16 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

TV? Absolutely not. lol.

Trades? Maybe eventually but Disney reacted so quickly there were literally no articles about Gunn's tweets until the moment he was fired when they were just reporting that.

so even if something left twitter and leaked into so-called mass media it still wouldn't be massive enough for significant portion of GA to know about it and riot/boycott GOTG/whatever, right? So what was Disney afraid of, again? Loud Internet minority? 

Edited by Valonqar

37 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Hollywood and celebrities created the mob culture mentality and put identity politics to almost every topic and now they don't like it when one of them was the victim of their own tactics.

Struggling to do the mental gymnastics required to link these tweets to "identity politics"

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

A small % of the population has twitter and a small fraction of that are even political but society and the media take what people say on Twitter to mean what society as a while is saying and its rather annoying. 

Its one of the main reason why I dont care about media much as it seems they just scan twitter looking for click bait stories to get clicks on their website. 

I think we should frankly just stop projecting what people say on twitter to mean what the average person thinks... likely would be better for the political  and societal discourse in my opinion.  

This is very important, specially when it is not even 100k people on twitter, they do it because it is free and easy to do (don't need to do any journalistic work, you can do it from a computer) and a large enough % of the audience accept it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Struggling to do the mental gymnastics required to link these tweets to "identity politics"

Well you didn't need to do any mental exercise because my comment about identity politics is speaking in general.

Edited by stephanos13

1 hour ago, stephanos13 said:

Sound a bit like saying Music industry created streaming and now complain it destroyed their revenues....

Mob culture mentality is deeply humans and as old has the world and Hollywood specially on the movie side is pretty much always behind and reactive to identity politics / mob culture, not at the front and are usually the people attacked by it, it is not some first time thing. Roseanne not so long ago was one of the biggest Hollywood celebrities that got gunned down by it.

And Hollywood is not some block with monthly reunion, Disney fired Gunn not Hollywood. A bunch of people working there are not happy with it (as if Pratt/Batista were going around organizing mob culture) not Hollywood.

Not so sure what identity politics has to do with rape jokes.

Edited by Barnack

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The sanctimonious far left mob stupidly helped the far right get Gunn fired. I'm far left and I loathe how reactionary my fellow libs are on social media. This whole Gunn thing has pissed me off so much that it's part of the reason that I've taken a break from Twitter. 

if the far left and the far right would kill each other off, the country would be a lot better off.

1 hour ago, stephanos13 said:

The Mob Culture existed a long time before Hollywood, pal.

Edited by dudalb