franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

This opens tomorrow here in the UK. At my local cinema, Friday is much busier than Wednesday and Thursday. I don’t think Disney have done enough to remind people it’s actually out tomorrow. 

Let's just hope they interrupt the Saturday screenings so we can all take our oath.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This is good question... I wonder how many critics on RT aren't US/UK. I know there are some but not sure how many.

AFAIK rt only has english and spanish reviews (from LATAM only I think but not confident on that).

Perusing one review, and the reviewer was so concerned about moviegoers who are sensitive to animal cruelty that they devote the first paragraph to warning about it:

"A public service announcement for sensitive Marvel fans. Many moviegoers will be shocked to discover that Vol. 3 is the darkest, grisliest, and most disturbing Marvel movie yet, to the extent that you might find yourself scratching your head at how it got that PG-13 rating. Most fans of the franchise will be fine, but if you’re the type of viewer who instantly turns against a movie the moment an innocent creature gets harmed—perhaps you’re a regular visitor to doesthedogdie.com?—you might want to sit this one out or, at the very least, know what you’re getting into."

In one sense, this could definitely turn off a lot of viewers, but, in another, I could see it giving the film a different kind of buzz.

Also getting the idea that those who like it *really* like it: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is the best film of the MCU to date."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Variety saying 130-140M OS debut. So with a 240M WW debut, it could get to 600M but the WOM needs to be strong. 

I would ignore trades on OS projections. I am curious what @charlie Jatinder thinks. It looks like opening below Ant 3 in many markets. I dont think Ant 3 opened day and date in Japan and this will open during Golden Week. So there is some help. But overall I see it open below Ant 3 OS OW. Legs let us wait and see. 

• Like 1

I know this gets brought up every time a comic book movie seems to be a lot darker or violent than expected, but the reactions and reviews to this seem a lot like a “Batman Returns” situation.

22 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Variety saying 130-140M OS debut. So with a 240M WW debut, it could get to 600M but the WOM needs to be strong. 

Based on tracking in The OS thread this will need slot of help to reach those numbers opening weekend. Tracking below Ant Man 3 in many markets 

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

I know this gets brought up every time a comic book movie seems to be a lot darker or violent than expected, but the reactions and reviews to this seem a lot like a “Batman Returns” situation.

We should be so lucky... But, yeah, I can't imagine we have a Batman Returns level cinematic miracle on our hands here.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

What do you guys expect to be the legs on this given a solid audience reception? I think probably around Wakanda Forever...

probably the same as the second movie.

2 hours ago, thajdikt said:

I’m reading $110/120M DOM… $260M 5-days global launch seems reasonable 

2 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Opening in the 150 plus range are going to be a lot fewer then they used to be. 

The loss of audeince to streaming is really kicking home now. BIggest permanent loss theaters have suffered since the coming of Television in the late 1940's.

I think a 130 Opening is  very good by today's standards; the pre 2020 days are not coming back.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1