franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Spider-Man NWH is also so blandly directed. I mean you would think with three Spider-Men on screen you have the opportunity for some interesting and unique action sequences but nope lol. Still enjoy it but of course the nostalgia plays a big part 

Nostalgia is hell of a drug. 

• Like 1

I was off since yesterday travelling, but yeah this is definitely finishing around MOM rotten score 

The average is way better tho, it seems like beyond some technical problems, the darker and a bit violent tone of some sequences are creating division, there´s many rotten reviews pointing that out as a negative aspect and many other pointing as a major highlight. It´s not the case where mostly everyone thinks is mid, like it happened with MOM. Personally i´m very excited about it, maybe it wasn´t a great idea from a commercial pov, but these changes in franchises usually works for me.

Still, seems like it didn´t really helped presales and at this point i just give up trying to think about positive scenarios, it will get the boring 17-18M previews / 105-110M OW and be a big disappointment, it is what it is. 

• Sad 2

Critics and audiences usually parallel on MCU movies, so with MOM reviews it would likely mean a B+ Cinemascore, no? I'd be surprised if went down that far (I was thinking at leat an A-), but then again TSS got a B+ and this sounds more akin to that than the first two Guardians so IDK.

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

Spider-Man NWH is also so blandly directed. I mean you would think with three Spider-Men on screen you have the opportunity for some interesting and unique action sequences but nope lol. Still enjoy it but of course the nostalgia plays a big part 

Is that a directing problem? We know how much control the studio has on the action scenes. Especially ones comprised mostly of CGI.

Anyone who still thinks Blade will be R-rated after the darker elements in this cause it to drop like a rock is too optimistic. Once the strike ends you just know they're going to load that up with jokey jokes like Josstice League. At least it'd be done before filming.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Anyone who still thinks Blade will be R-rated after the darker elements in this cause it to drop like a rock is too optimistic. Once the strike ends you just know they're going to load that up with jokey jokes like Josstice League. At least it'd be done before filming.

But a lot of the reviews complain about the jokes too.

44 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

Is that a directing problem? We know how much control the studio has on the action scenes. Especially ones comprised mostly of CGI.

Jon Watts is a mediocre director and how he got the Spiderman job in the first place has always been a mystery to me, let alone maintain the job.  He's just another David Yates.

8 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Jon Watts is a mediocre director and how he got the Spiderman job in the first place has always been a mystery to me, let alone maintain the job.  He's just another David Yates.

Sony and Marvel Studios wanted a safe, gun-for-hire not another artsy 500 Days of Summer type director.

15 hours ago, Valonqar said:

OTOH, critics really went all out for Ms Marvel in their praise yet audience had no interest in it. They saw previews and went nope. 

Why would the audience care about the characters which they think are irrelevant? They are introducing female characters after female characters without giving them any importance in the bigger overarching storyline or telling the audience their importance in this saga. So what will happen? They all will flop, no one will watch them. Trailer views of The Marvels were the lowest of any Phase 4 or Phase 5 movie. On YouTube, trailer views of The Marvels are even lower than those of the Ms. Marvel TV show. Why? Because audiences don't care about characters they think are less important to the overarching storyline, People ignore CBM movies and shows that they think are irrelevent; now they are ignoring trailers too. After Ms. Marvel, The Marvels is going to be another big embarrassment for Disney and Marvel Studios.

• Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Critics and audiences usually parallel on MCU movies, so with MOM reviews it would likely mean a B+ Cinemascore, no? I'd be surprised if went down that far (I was thinking at leat an A-), but then again TSS got a B+ and this sounds more akin to that than the first two Guardians so IDK.

Could be, which is horrible. But there are also other example of MCU movies in that range getting A CS. Iron Man 2 is on 71% (don´t know if it was higher at time of release) and Age of Ultron is at 76% also got A. In fact MoM is the only MCU movie in that range that has gotten B+. That said MoM was also about more darker than those movies and sounds like Vol 3 could be the same, but I get the impression that more like this than MoM. Only hope is that audience that has seen it so far seems to have loved it but we will see when more GA people watch it over the weekend. 

Edited by thajdikt

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Neither 500 days of Summer nor Mark Webb are artsy lol. This is the artsiest part of the TASM movies

I mean not really. Goblin's transformation scene and the entire Clocktower sequence in TASM2 are beautifully made.

3 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

There's no mystery, Watts is a perfect studio tool, he does everything they want without asking questiones and brings absolutely nothing to the table from his side. The same with Yates, even though Yates is usually more capable at least.

• Like 2

If (and it remains an if) GOTG gets a B+ CS, then giving Gunn the DC keys to the kingdom following TSS will surely look increasingly extraordinary as a choice.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, TSS got so many overgenerous goodwill excuses for its failure. Yes it had genuine, major conditioning factors for not reaching its initial goals; but nowhere near enough to cover its losses and WOM disinterest and the B+ cinemascore and 2nd weekend despite glowing, glowing critiques and even more glowing commentary in internet moviebro spaces should have been treated as the deep red flag that it was.

I think it was @TwoMisfits who pointed it out: Gunn's edgelordery needs conditioning factors. I like Slither too, but Slither was another massive failure - and the recent references to it coming out from his fandom, indicative that this is the direction he's going back in, is another worry in terms of BO potential.

TSS was Scott Pilgrim 2.0.

It is very possible GOTG3 will be, if not Scott Pilgrim 3.0. (it won't do THAT badly), SP 2.5 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

There are so many factors that have led to this decline.
one of these? TV series. There are many of them, and of low quality.

Critics today are tougher. Look at the scores that movies like Doctor strange 1, Antman2, Cap Marvel had

fortunately vol.3 has nothing to do with Thor, She Hulk, Moonknight, BW. 

and is not  disappointing like Mom or Eteternals.

• Like 1

The TV shows have been largely well received. One of the best reviewed Marvel releases of last year was Werewolf By Night, and Ms Marvel is the best reviewed MCU project full stop, despite what you hear people on here claim about the MCU having too many women or whatever

Edited by SpiderByte